How do I switch the sd card with internal

jabak3

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I want to install or flash an android os to my 8gb mini sd. Basically to use it as internal memory. Is this possible?

I want to use the sd as internal with ability to boot my optimus v into the sd os. Basically allowing me to save apps and run them from the card as a hard drive for the phone.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

jabak3

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I am still confused on the partitioning.

ATM I have a Optimus V purchased last Black Friday from Target. So I believe it is a newer screen.
It is Rooted Only. I have not messed with it past the Rooting. I was worried if I was going to mess it up when flashing a custom rom. So I ended up just leaving it rooted.

For doing the partitioning and flashing a Rom on both the internal and external I have an 8GB Mini SD.

Do I need to flash a custom rom like CW7 in order to do what I wanted or can I leave the Stock Rooted Phone as is. If I have to do the custom rom then I better do it now but if I do so will it be reversable. Which is the best Backup program to use for all of the above?

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
You don't need a custom rom to partition and link2sd, you will need a custom recovery, I suggest the one on the sticky of this forum. Once you flash recovery create a backup via recovery. At this point I would recommended installing one of the iho roms, just because they make your phone kick ass, but its not necessary.

Now backup the contents of your SD card to your computer (everything will be erased on it)

Now go in to your recovery and go to mounts and storage and format your SD card. Then go to advanced then partition. Chose what size you want, I suggest 1024, its more than enough, chose whatever for swap, you don't really need it.

Once its done put your backed up SD crap back on your card. Download link2sd from the market. It will ask what ext you have, and choose 3. Reboot your phone and go back in to link2sd and chose what apps you want to link, and go to create link.

Then tada! Your done

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
WARNING: don't try to flash a recovery and a rom at the same time. Make sure the recovery is functional before wiping anything. Now that you are rooted NEVER EVER so the factory reset found under settings. Also NEVER use clockworkmod to flash anything. Its borderline useless and has contributed to the bricking of many phones.

Well now that my intimidating warning is over... you have nothing to fear;)
seriously. Just take it easy and if you have ANY questions... ANY... ask them. Someone just bricked their phone because they didn't ask before jumping.
Enjoy!!!:D

jabak3

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok I found a program called 'Mini Tool Partition Wizard 7 (Full/Free)".

This is what I have done so far in order. Please tell me if this will not work or I am already doing something wrong.

1. Backup the sd card onto desktop.
2. Deleted and Formated the SD Card Via Windows Vista Home Basic.
3. Watched Video on Partitioning with Mini Tool Wizard.
4. Installed Mini Tool Partition Wizard 7 (Full/Free Version)
5. Partitioned Mini SD Card
6. 3.15GB Allocated, 4.## Partioned as "ext2" and Named it "ext2"
7. Moved Files Back to Mini 8GB SD Card
8. Installed Link2SD.

I am actually about to install the Link2SD app. Then I am going to see if it works.

Anything I did wrong or am doing wrong. Let me know I would like to do this quick but understand if I have to be patient.

atm. I can still undo everything done soo far. Including the partition and I have the original Mini SD backup files in a seperate folder on my desktop.

Let me know. Thanks.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Clockwork 3... is fine just don't use rom manager

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

I should clarify.

do NOT use the clockworkmod rom that Rom Manager installs for you, that recovery is broken, it cant make nandroid backups correctly, cant restore them either.

use the updated CWM recovery or the IHO recovery (basically same thing, but its on the IHO pages)

jabak3

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Update:

I did everything above but when I went into link2sd it said it could not mount the scripts. I used ext2 for the partition. Then named it ext. As well as when opening Link2SD chose the ext2 option.

Should I redo the partition to ext3, ext4, or Fat32/Fat16. Or is there a different problem.

Ok update: Problem Solved.

Had to make a partition using Fat. Set as primary and big enough for previous crap. Second partition using Fat32 which works on all systems.

Used link to sd. Chose Fat32. Then linked apps. All previous moved to sd apps had to be moved again via normal archaic manual way.

I now am using 35mb internal memory and have 145mb free.

Apps like opera and netflix went from 20mb to 1-2mb each on internal.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad