Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tdm
  • 2 Post By mjs2011
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question What to do after rooting...

I rooted my phone... what's there to do with it now?

ROM
    Mirage

Default Re: What to do after rooting...

There are basically two main things you can do after rooting your phone that you can't before rooting it:
    1) Run more powerful apps like Titanium Backup and Root Explorer (so you can, among other things, get rid of the preinstalled bloatware)
    2) Flash a custom ROM (a custom version of Android)

Rather than rehash what other (and wiser) people have said, here's a few links to get you started:
    [Reference Guide] Optimus V Modding (READ THIS TO GET STARTED)
    [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

NEVER, EVER, EVER USE "ROM MANAGER" TO DO ANYTHING! I put that in all caps because it isn't compatible with the Optimus V and is one of the few things that is fully capable of breaking your phone beyond repair.
    tdm

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    ROM
    Quattrimus

Quote Originally Posted by Sobralski97 View Post
    I rooted my phone... what's there to do with it now?
    AdFree. It's the one and only reason I rooted my wife's phone.
    LeslieAnn likes this.
    Themer. You've seen them

ROM
    Stock

Flash a recovery and then a rom (an iho rom), also delete all unwanted apps with a root explorer.

I will say this and save you heartache: [RANT] NEVER USE ROM MANAGER IT BRICKS PHONES, NEVER FACTORY RESET NOW, IT'LL BRICK YOUR PHONE TOO [/RANT]

That said... have fun
    Themer. You've seen them

ROM
    Stock

Haha we all said the same thing

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

Quote Originally Posted by anthonycr View Post
    Flash a recovery and then a rom (an iho rom), also delete all unwanted apps with a root explorer.

I will say this and save you heartache: [RANT] NEVER USE ROM MANAGER IT BRICKS PHONES, NEVER FACTORY RESET NOW, IT'LL BRICK YOUR PHONE TOO [/RANT]

That said... have fun
    Here I am defending Koush because of the all encompasing statements of "ROM MANAGER BRICKS PHOHNES". Lets be clear here our phone is not supported by Clockwork mod, because it is a prepaid carrier phone. The dev community is here to support the Optimus V,S,C,M, and its variants however because the phones are not high end and on the radar of the Koush and team ****** it will never be supported.

Now yes Im sorta playing semantics with your statement but Rom Manager technically doesnt brick the phone its a uninformed user that just wants to have a rooted phone. It has become one of those things people with no business recommending will recommend to new users.

i already have rom manager in mine and i think i have clockwordmod 3.2.0.1. any tips on how to remove it?

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

Quote Originally Posted by sw1tchblade View Post
    i already have rom manager in mine and i think i have clockwordmod 3.2.0.1. any tips on how to remove it?
    No reason to remove it just understand using it to install a rom is going to brick your phone. There are things like the fix permissions function that are beneficial.

If you want to uninstall it anyway just use the manage applications in your setting and remove rom manager. To change recoveries just flash a new one and you will not have clockwork mod anymore.
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Quote Originally Posted by Eollie View Post
    Here I am defending Koush because of the all encompasing statements of "ROM MANAGER BRICKS PHOHNES". Lets be clear here our phone is not supported by Clockwork mod, because it is a prepaid carrier phone. The dev community is here to support the Optimus V,S,C,M, and its variants however because the phones are not high end and on the radar of the Koush and team ****** it will never be supported.

Now yes Im sorta playing semantics with your statement but Rom Manager technically doesnt brick the phone its a uninformed user that just wants to have a rooted phone. It has become one of those things people with no business recommending will recommend to new users.
    Just my two cents: ROM Manager shouldn't be capable of bricking a phone without some major error occurring. If the manifests were vetted before being posted, this issue would never occur. Allowing anyone to post a ROM to ROM Manager without any sort of vetting is reckless, and the end result is bricked phones. And a user who has paid for the app should expect a response from the dev when there is an issue such as entire lines of phone models being bricked. /rant
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    Harmonia 3

Quote Originally Posted by tdm View Post
    AdFree. It's the one and only reason I rooted my wife's phone.
    This and removing Twitter and other pre-installed junk that was killing my batter was my main reasons for doing it.

That lasted maybe a week before I changed the rom. HAHA

Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.

Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 2.3.7/ tvall kernel

Add me to the list once rooted got rid of some VM stock app that were running my battery/that I never used!!!! Felt sad after ...........lol NA!!!!

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

Quote Originally Posted by JerryScript View Post
    Just my two cents: ROM Manager shouldn't be capable of bricking a phone without some major error occurring. If the manifests were vetted before being posted, this issue would never occur. Allowing anyone to post a ROM to ROM Manager without any sort of vetting is reckless, and the end result is bricked phones. And a user who has paid for the app should expect a response from the dev when there is an issue such as entire lines of phone models being bricked. /rant
    Jerry your not going to get a argument from me regarding that.

My point is people saying Rom Manager bricks phones is in all honesty defamation of the product. Yes it is true it can brick a phone is misused. But if used properly and within its limitations for each device there should not be a problem with bricking the phone.

You know my feeling about Koush, I hate having to defend somebody or something Im not fond of. But I dont think it is fair to make a general sweeping statement like that. There are devices that ROM manager works on. And for certain tasks it works on our phone just not installing a rom.

Here is a list of root-only Apps you might want to install if you're rooted:

Themer. You've seen them

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by andyberman View Post
    Here is a list of root-only Apps you might want to install if you're rooted:

One app on that list not to use: ROM manager. Its not designed for our phones, be careful with powerful apps that can wipe large amounts of data, install roms, delete system apps, or restore them with the click of button. I use titanium backup, but there has been times when I've deleted stuff I shouldn't and the phone stopped working. Just a warning for you powerful apps can be used rightly, but if misued can be a nightmare.

The first thing I did after rooting was make a turkey sandwich.
    Thanked by:
    allwynjk and jwkles like this.