OV vs Motorola Triumph ...need help.

notufatjesus

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
*****Only reason why I want to make this thread here is because I've researched and have seen that the Triumph community is nothing like the OV....and I need some advice.*****
I've been an OV owner for a while now....fell in love with the community and the modifications that can be done on this phone. BACKside IHO has become my favorite rom and I was blown away to see how much better this phone can be. :D
"The only thing that remains the same is change... "
And now I want to pass on the Optimus V legacy to my younger brother,and want to move on to the Triumph. I can see that stock ...Triumph specs makes the OV look 'chump-ish' (Sorry guys...no offense ....I still love the OV) Now with that said, I keep asking myself : Should I install a custom revovery and rom, or is it a good phone already? I love the GB rom and hate the froyo system ....it's cheesy to me, and would be even cheesier if it's on a better phone like the Triumph. Seeing the power of porting GB to the Optimus V leaves me no doubt that the Motorola Triumph can be ported to the GB system. I've even seen (without much detail) the porting of the ics 4.0 on it...surely these roms would be great. But the question I have ISSSSSS.....are there active devs and a community like this one working on this phone? Is there an IHO BACKSIDE ROM for the triumph? Is it worth buying? Can I go back and forth from rom to rom like I can with the OV? In some instances I would need a FROYO BACKUP ..ex: I once changed my phone number with the OV and couldn't access the programming screen using # # and the numbers they give you. Luckily I had Harmonia on my SD CARD and bammm...... I was able to reprogram it and activate the service. Can I significantly improve the phone like I have done to the OV? Any advice?
I love the Virgin Mobile plan and want to stick with it because really....you cant beat that.!!!
Due to lack of evidence that the "triumph" community is as active as our OV, can't find any help...
Thanks for any advice ...previous and current Triumph holders please talk to me lol:D

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I think that really you want a hug and to say goodbye ;)
But seriously only a triumph owner can answer these questions. But I'm guessing that you'll be alright from what I've read with cm7 ...except they don't have hdmi out working 100%

Reactions: notufatjesus

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It has been discussed by some of the former Optimus V users that bought the Triumph that the community for the Triumph just doesnt exist. If you are looking for a community like the Optimus V has you will not find it. There is no similar phone on any of the current carriers that allows people to share the work.

I believe one of the other forums has a "semi-active" community but again nothing like we have here. Which is a very big draw back for me also. I want a phone that I dont have to worry if it is going to get service or not and with VM's no roaming I lose service in areas I have to travel frequently.

The honest truth is this. If you want a active community for the Triumph you will have to spear head it. The device on paper and even in the wild is better than the Optimus V but price versus usability the Optimus wins. The developers are not willing to spend that much on such a cheaply designed phone.

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
My son has the Triumph and it is a pretty decent phone. He did have to return a couple at first due to some freezing issues but the one he has now works good. I have it rooted to rempove the junk apps on it but no custom rom on it yet. Like asadullah stated they do have CM7 on the triumph less working hdmi and I think there's also a port of MIUI. I'd check in the Triumph thread and I'm sure you'll find some good info.

I've thought about getting one but I haven't found a community for it like there is for the OV

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Can't say this for sure, but I think we're going to see the Optimus Black this year. I'd wait around for that. When it comes out, I plan on making the switch and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the devs here jump ship as well.

notufatjesus

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank you guys. Pretty much I gathered the same info....I noticed the hdmi not working lol.... I will miss this community ...
I guess it's like this ;
-A PHONE IS ONLY AS GOOD AS IT'S COMMUNITY -
PHONE PHILOSOPHY 101 LOL
Hmm....
********Any other phone with a big screen as customizable as the OV?
Where is the cheapest place to find the Triumph?

Last edited:

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
The optimus line is a multi carrier phone. The optimus black/marquee is another multi carrier phone. I believe that the marquee will have a similar Renaissance as the V has. It will only take one person to do what Blarf here has done. Then the snow ball effect will take care of the rest.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
The optimus line is a multi carrier phone. The optimus black/marquee is another multi carrier phone. I believe that the marquee will have a similar Renaissance as the V has. It will only take one person to do what Blarf here has done. Then the snow ball effect will take care of the rest.

I don't think VM will get the Marquee now. Its already been announced that boost is getting it, and sprint hasn't given their same sub carriers the same phones before, so I don't see them doing it now. If I wasnt grandfathered in at the 25/mo plan, I would switch to boost for the OM

ajones23

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I was going to put a list of pros and cons but no. Point is OV verses Triumph with cm7, no comparison. IHO, should be on stock. Stay with the OV,for the price and plan 25 bucks,very good.

MotoTriu

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Well i've owned the triumph for about 4 months now and was hesitant to flash a ROM at first until I took the plunge and flashed cm7.I can tell you for a fact that the stock ROM does not do the phones hardware justice.CM7 and MIUI make the phone almost feel brand new,and the community is also well supported with HDMI not working the only major drawback of flashing MIUI or CM7.You can even overclock the phone to 2.0b ghz if you want.There is also a port for ICS 4.0 in development so I think that it would DEFINATLEY be good to buy this phone.i had my doubts about buying this phone but I havent regretted buying it since.

notufatjesus

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Well i've owned the triumph for about 4 months now and was hesitant to flash a ROM at first until I took the plunge and flashed cm7.I can tell you for a fact that the stock ROM does not do the phones hardware justice.CM7 and MIUI make the phone almost feel brand new,and the community is also well supported with HDMI not working the only major drawback of flashing MIUI or CM7.You can even overclock the phone to 2.0b ghz if you want.There is also a port for ICS 4.0 in development so I think that it would DEFINATLEY be good to buy this phone.i had my doubts about buying this phone but I havent regretted buying it since.

Thanks man. Maybe ill ask for help in a week or so from u. :D

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Well there IS a community over at Motorola Triumph - Android Forums ...
That is pretty much THE community for that phone.

Every time I have gotten into it with anyone regarding the Triumph it always comes back to "All you have to do it put CM on, that fixes almost all of the problems". While I would end up doing that, even as a dev, that is unacceptable to me. You buy a $300 phone then you have to void the warranty to fix it. Anyone not see the problem here?

notufatjesus

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
That is pretty much THE community for that phone.

Every time I have gotten into it with anyone regarding the Triumph it always comes back to "All you have to do it put CM on, that fixes almost all of the problems". While I would end up doing that, even as a dev, that is unacceptable to me. You buy a $300 phone then you have to void the warranty to fix it. Anyone not see the problem here?

I do Leslie.....dammmmm....guess it's a no no lol

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't think VM will get the Marquee now. Its already been announced that boost is getting it, and sprint hasn't given their same sub carriers the same phones before, so I don't see them doing it now. If I wasnt grandfathered in at the 25/mo plan, I would switch to boost for the OM

Edit: I just realized that the marquee doesn't have 4g capabilities. And from what I've read sprint is going to be rolling out 4g to it's subsidiaries in ten different markets soon so I'm hoping that I'm in that market. I wanted the marquee but it is what it is

Last edited:

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Edit: I just realized that the marquee doesn't have 4g capabilities. And from what I've read sprint is going to be rolling out 4g to it's subsidiaries in ten different markets soon so I'm hoping that I'm in that market. I wanted the marquee but it is what it is

Yep, sprint will get Lte. And we will get the old wimax "4g"

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I dont think both boost AND VMusa will get a different form of the Optimus Black. I got to play around with Boosts version the other day and its nice but I dont see them bringing it to VM. both carriers are owned and possibly run by Sprint so you have to have some kind of differentiation among the phones available.

on the other hand, the Triumph, while genuinely a "great" phone, has manufacturing issues. you COULD get a good one on the first try, OR you could be replacing it for awhile until you get a good one. that's unacceptable and VM knows it.

they are either

A. Revamping the Triumph, with a new rom and new manufacturing methods for quality, to continue selling it.

or B. getting ready to discontinue it and offer a new "high end" phone.

option B looks more promising at the moment.

I would wait a few more months with the OV before jumping ship to the MT. who knows, even if VM doesnt release the Optimus Black, we may get something even better! thats what I'm hoping for anyways

I got a good triumph on the first try, and im running MIUI and CM7 (i switch between when I feel like) both roms are incredibly well made and fix a lot of the software problems in the stock rom.

thats a good point, but its definitely NOT the first smartphone to be released that desperately needed a custom ROM to work correctly.

even the OV had problems in its stock software when released, maybe not THAT significant, but enough for the community to notice a problem and fix it in custom software.

it may be "unacceptable" to you, but your extremely unlikely to stick to a stock ROM on any phone you own in the near future anyways. so in the end, this problem doesnt really affect you.

300$ isnt so bad. try walking into another carriers retail store like Verizon or AT&T and buy a similarly spec'd phone off-contract. THAT'S a rip. and even if you bought one of those phones you'd replace the stock rom with a CM7 rom if it was available anyways.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
B. Getting ready to discontinue it and offer a new "high end" phone.

option B looks more promising at the moment.
This is probably the case. Honestly even if they revamped the Triumph I dont think it will have the support the Optimus has had period. Virgin nor Motorola has admitted the Triumph is a Huawei knock off. And that doesnt ever sit well with people. I think most people that bought the Triumph did so because of hdmi and Motorola brand name.

thats a good point, but its definitely NOT the first smartphone to be released that desperately needed a custom ROM to work correctly.

even the OV had problems in its stock software when released, maybe not THAT significant, but enough for the community to notice a problem and fix it in custom software.

it may be "unacceptable" to you, but your extremely unlikely to stick to a stock ROM on any phone you own in the near future anyways. so in the end, this problem doesnt really affect you.

300$ isnt so bad. try walking into another carriers retail store like Verizon or AT&T and buy a similarly spec'd phone off-contract. THAT'S a rip. and even if you bought one of those phones you'd replace the stock rom with a CM7 rom if it was available anyways.

You are right most phones unless they are google flagships do end up running better with custom roms. And that is the biggest selling point for iOS/iPhone's they work out of the box. But we are talking android and a phone that was again never officially announced as a rebranded phone. I would rather have to root and rom a phone then return it multiple times just to get a working phone. As you mentioned the Triumph was a hit or miss phone. I dont think I remember seeing the type of complaints coming from the Optimus phones when they hit the market. It wasnt until LG ninja swapped the screens we had any "real" problems.

I disagree $300 for a phone that is hit or miss with quality and then have to install a custom rom just so you get the best performance.

LeslieAnn the Optimus V phones are very lucky in the community they have. Ive been researching some phones and most of them have dedicated communities on one forum or another. Most of the time you look in the subforum and there are posts from 3 months ago and even still there are minimal replies. I do find it funny that so many people were all the Triumph is better phone than the Optimus V. We are gonna buy it and build roms for it that will make the Optimus V look like a kids toy. And then nothing real impressive ever came of it. Most people abandoned ship and reactivated their Optimus V's. You have people like watskyhotsky that still "support" they made the right decision but are back here trolling alone. Not enough activity in the Triumph community so they have made their way back here./shrug

notufatjesus honestly I would hold off. Unless your just dying to get a new phone. The Triumph was announced in June last year. They make announcements about every 6-9 months and iirc the Optimus Slider was a last fall early winter announcement. I would expect around march or april there will be a announcement of the new phone. Unless they do another Triumph scam Im betting it will be a better phone for similar price scale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non