Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JerryScript
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Arrow First Time ROOT Quick Help...

Hi people!

I'm here because i need some help on rooting and flashing a ROM for my Optimus V. And yes my phone includes that new version of the hitachi screen.
    model: VM670
    Android: 2.2.2 (Froyo?)
    Kernal: 2.6.32.9

Let me point out that after long hours (and I mean days) of reading through threads and guides for rooting, I am still lost and not sure how to continue. I have learned about different ROMs and root files but I just want a clear process of how to do that, so if you can... please help

What i DO KNOW is that with my version of Optimus V; I am better off using the Harmonious Bumblebee 2.2, which i don't mind at all because as described, i like the simple interface and abilities... I am not looking for anything too snazzy like the Cyanogen ROM.
    [MOD] Harmonious Bumblebee 2.2

NOW, first things first; i am currently stuck on rooting my phone. I've read that GingerBreak APK is the easiest to use, but isn't that for 2.3 androids? I don't really care for using 2.3, but if i need to for the HB ROM i guess i'll have to. and how do i go about rooting? which apps or other files will i need to root? and which root is best for using the Harmonious Bumblebee ROM?

The is no best root for a specific ROM. Root is Root is Root (not entirely true but I digress- in this case it holds true). If you can not find anything about Gibgersnap in OV forums, the process will be very similar to using the program on another phone.

When you root your phone, the root is not permanent, or at least it wasn't when I rooted. The permanent root comes from flashing the ROM. For this you need a temp root to flash a recovery. This is well documented, look harder- try YouTube. Any Optimus 1 phone family (v, s, t etc) video should work, so long as the ROM is for the OV.

When you get the recovery flashed, make a backup. This is how you fix your phone WHEN you mess it up. then flash away. Make sure you also get the gapps file, and follow the directions on the ROMs thread.
    When you are rooted, always make sure you have superuser installed. The ROM should already have it, but double check. This controls root access, and without it its theoretically possible to wards every from the phone and SD cars with a warming until its to late.

Have fun. And it is a WHEN for messing up your phone. Not always full brick but small something.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    Harmonia 3

Default Re: First Time ROOT Quick Help...

Quote Originally Posted by bohalloran95 View Post
    make a backup
    Backup, backup backup!

Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Great... I think I have a brick on my hands

I followed almost all the instructions from here;
    **LG Optimus V 2.2.2 Root, Recovery, Rom, + Bonus Tutorial**

Except instead of using Cyanogen files i used Harmonious Bumblebee files (i think my mistake was i place the files in the SD card instead of leaving them in a zip for the Xionia Clockwork to process them)

I did make the back up like the guide said too... how do i go about re-doing this.

the screen just stays on the LG logo.
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Boot into recovery (power on by holding power+down_volume+home keys)

Once in recovery, restore your backup, then reboot.

Once you have rebooted, follow the instructions exactly. If they don't say extract a zip file, don't extract it.

The ROM zip file and gapps zip files are NOT to be extracted, they are flashed as zip files in recovery.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by JerryScript View Post
    Boot into recovery (power on by holding power+down_volume+home keys)

Once in recovery, restore your backup, then reboot.

Once you have rebooted, follow the instructions exactly. If they don't say extract a zip file, don't extract it.

The ROM zip file and gapps zip files are NOT to be extracted, they are flashed as zip files in recovery.
    Yeah i just finished restoring and reboot...

I'm just trying to figure out flashing Harmonious Bumblebee ROM instead of the Cyanogen (i really don't want that one)

thanks for the reply
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Quote Originally Posted by AstralJL View Post
    Yeah i just finished restoring and reboot...

I'm just trying to figure out flashing Harmonious Bumblebee ROM instead of the Cyanogen (i really don't want that one)

thanks for the reply
    Not sure why, Harmonious Bumblebee isn't supported anymore.

If you don't want the extras Cyanogen offers, then stick with Harmonia.
    clodfelterac likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

So I have flashed Harmonious Bumblebee with the Xionia Clockwork and it stated it was successful, but when i tried to reboot, after the LG Logo I get the HB melody and just a black screen... i think is stuck on the boot loop?

But theres no "fix recovery bootloop" option... how do I get out of this?

ROM
    Harmonia 3

Wipe Dalvik, system, boot, "restore to factory" and re-flash.

Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

It's not stuck in a bootloop, you didn't read all the stickies first.

The newer Optimus Vs have a different screen that requires a different driver in the kernel. I don't believe that Harmonious Bumblebee has the appropriate drivers.

Go back into recovery, enable usb mass storage, copy over either Harmonia or one of the IHO (cyanogenmod) ROMs, then unmount usb storage, wipe cache and dalvik cache, format boot, system, and cache. Then flash the ROM and gapps zip files, then reboot.
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    Wipe Dalvik, system, boot, "restore to factory" and re-flash.
    Does Harmonious Bumblebee have the correct drivers for the newer screens, I can't remember.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Does Harmonious Bumblebee have the correct drivers for the newer screens, I can't remember.
    It says it does... so it should

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

Not sure why, Harmonious Bumblebee isn't supported anymore.

If you don't want the extras Cyanogen offers, then stick with Harmonia.
    Because cyanogenmod is main stream now. Nobody wants to be part of the main stream they want to be rebellious...

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Eollie View Post
    Because cyanogenmod is main stream now. Nobody wants to be part of the main stream they want to be rebellious...

haha

on a serious note new HB does work with Xionia. there was just a few extra files that i had to track down and upload to the SDcard.

although it does tend to crash sometimes. not alot but still... bad flash? should i just re-do everything safely? oh the joys of flashing

It's not stuck in a bootloop, you didn't read all the stickies first.

The newer Optimus Vs have a different screen that requires a different driver in the kernel. I don't believe that Harmonious Bumblebee has the appropriate drivers.

Go back into recovery, enable usb mass storage, copy over either Harmonia or one of the IHO (cyanogenmod) ROMs, then unmount usb storage, wipe cache and dalvik cache, format boot, system, and cache. Then flash the ROM and gapps zip files, then reboot.
    I am also in his boots . i have read till i have Vertigo . There are too many variables that just are not worked out. for instance i have an Lg optimus V with 2.2.2 and it has the OLD novatek screen ,drivers . The 2.2.2 from what i have read does not have a fastboot option so everything i have tried including the all in one recovery will not work at all . I can however root with gingerbreak1.2 and use Titanium backup pro .. But i have no way to make system backups because its not an option on stock recovery .. Now some one need to make a one click root and recovery for each and every Lg optimus variable .. like 2.2.2 with new or with old .. I have yet to see any definitive guide especially for dummies . personally i had an HTC eris and used amons one click root and recovery on it and it was straightforward . you ran and app then you flashed a zip right on the phone without a pc or having to know how to run abd on a computer hooked up to the phone .. no fastboot no connections to adb that i see on my version .. i will gladly donate to the developer who takes his time to figure this out.

ROM
    AOKP 4.1.1

I just received a replacement phone with 2.2.2 and the old novatek screen. I used Gingerbreak to root it and Flash_Image GUI to install the recovery (VM670NH), download all the files straight to your phone. No computer, adb or anything else needed. Once you have the new recovery on it you will be able to make a backup and flash a new rom.
    YAY!!! ME :)

ROM
    Custom ROM & Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by highhacker View Post
    I am also in his boots . i have read till i have Vertigo . There are too many variables that just are not worked out. for instance i have an Lg optimus V with 2.2.2 and it has the OLD novatek screen ,drivers . The 2.2.2 from what i have read does not have a fastboot option so everything i have tried including the all in one recovery will not work at all . I can however root with gingerbreak1.2 and use Titanium backup pro .. But i have no way to make system backups because its not an option on stock recovery .. Now some one need to make a one click root and recovery for each and every Lg optimus variable .. like 2.2.2 with new or with old .. I have yet to see any definitive guide especially for dummies . personally i had an HTC eris and used amons one click root and recovery on it and it was straightforward . you ran and app then you flashed a zip right on the phone without a pc or having to know how to run abd on a computer hooked up to the phone .. no fastboot no connections to adb that i see on my version .. i will gladly donate to the developer who takes his time to figure this out.
    I use the the Ra 3.0.6 OptV Recovery from the All-inOne-Recovery and it works very well, you can flash it with the Flash-Image GUI; but flash with terminal or adb is better; less of a chance of having a bad flash.

I would go with the Harmonia 1 as LeslieAnn still supports it.
    Last edited by EarthnFire78; 02-29-2012 at 08:37 AM.

ROM
    Harmonia 3

Bobzhome recovery (and Xionia recoveries) work on the newer and older phones. The resource guide (sticky) has a link to it.