1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Cool Stuff missing after CM7

I did the update IHO and now have Android 2.3 working. CM 7.1

After having done so I find my contacts are gone along with most of my aps.

I installed market place and gmail via APK however when I attempt to load them they just flash and the background screen zooms in and closes. Apps never load.

Without the ability to add my Gmail I cannot sync my contacts from the cloud or access marketplace.

How do I get my apps and contacts back? I don't want to restore to the older android version because I want to install newer flash so I can access other sites.

There was something about gapps being flashed but the topic did not explain what that was. In any case now I cannot figure out how to flash that either.

[ added notes ]

I also cannot press to add app icon to desktop. All that happens is some popup aske's me about what catalog? or app information. Used to press and hold to place apps on screen. Can't figure how to do that any more.

My voice input is
    also missing. Used to be able to search google by voice. Used to be able to input messages by voice...also missing.

Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by paulkruger; 02-16-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Update

Default Re: Stuff missing after CM7

Did you flash Gapps? Or were they even included in that CM7?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by somerussianguy View Post
    Did you flash Gapps? Or were they even included in that CM7?
    No...I think I stated that I could not find out how to do so after flashing CM7
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    Stock

I tried with the [home] + [vol down] + [power] and release power at logo. However the screen is dark with a little glow from back light around edges...nothing happens. After that the only way the phone reboots is to take the battery out and put it back.

How do I boot to where I can flash gapps now?

Sorry missed that part. You flash them through CWM. I know on XDA they usually include the Gapps zip in the same post as a CM7 download.

This brings up a question I had when plaything around with Green Machine a few days ago. Can you add to an existing ROM or do you have to flash everything at the same time? In this case, if the version that Paul flashed didn't include Gapps, can he just go back to his recovery, select install zip from sdcard, choose zip from sdcard, and then select the gapps zip?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    Stock

Yes that was included and is on the phone's SD card. There are so many topics on this that it is confusing but it said to first flash the ROM then flash the gapps zip. After doing the ROM, which seemed to work fine, I cannot figure out how to go back to flash the gapps zip?

I cannot get to the recovery screen to flash that second file.

Sounds like the Recovery went apesh!t...can you flash the recovery again through your PC?

LeslieAnn had posted instructions on how to flash a new recovery. You should be able to do it from the Superuser icon after booting CM7 (if it's still on the flash card, otherwise you have to download it again). Her instructions suggested naming it a.img so you don't have to type a long complicated file name on the phone keyboard.

EDIT: Here's the link

[Guide]Flashing recoveries through terminal emulator (very easy)
    Last edited by ehoser; 02-16-2012 at 04:26 PM.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ehoser View Post
    LeslieAnn had posted instructions on how to flash a new recovery. You should be able to do it from the Superuser icon after booting CM7 (if it's still on the flash card, l
    The Superuser icon is still there but when I launch it all it says on the screen is "No apps in list" Terminal works and I have superuser access to phone. I also had Rom Manager but it is gone since the upgrade. I can't send it from marketplace because it says it is already installed even though I find no icon on the phone.

ROM
    CM7 BACKside

Terminal works and I have superuser access to phone.
    Terminal Emulator is what you need to use to type in what is in that thread by LeslieAnn.

And don't use ROM Manager.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Atmazzz View Post
    Terminal Emulator is what you need to use to type in what is in that thread by LeslieAnn.

And don't use ROM Manager.
    The problem is the command "reboot recovery" shuts down the phone and leaves me with a black screen...nothing happens. I then have to pull battery to reboot into normal mode.

All the options to reboot to recovery have same results.

At this point I need to know how to recover the backup I made before starting this upgrade so I can start fresh.

So what is Superuser supposed to do? I swear that just after I ROM'ed the first time I tapped Superuser and it came up and asked if I wanted to Allow or Deny superuser access, then passed me through to the terminal with the root prompt.

Now it just comes up with some kind pf status screen that says "Terminal Emulator Last allowed on 2/18/2012 at 09:23". The description on Market is pretty useless.

Quote Originally Posted by paulkruger View Post
    The problem is the command "reboot recovery" shuts down the phone and leaves me with a black screen...nothing happens. I then have to pull battery to reboot into normal mode.

All the options to reboot to recovery have same results.

At this point I need to know how to recover the backup I made before starting this upgrade so I can start fresh.
    You need to flash a new recovery first. Follow the instructions in the link. Do this from normal mode using terminal emulator.

Sounds like you have adb access. You can also flash a new recovery from there.
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    Harmonia 3

Superuser authorizes programs to be super user (root). That is all it does is manage the apps ability to have root.

When you used Rom Manager you installed a crap recovery that is unsupported by your phone. Which is why you see the black screen.

Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.

I don't get why people still insist on using ROM Manager in spite of the countless posts recommending not to. It's like people just search the OP for a link, download and try and flash right away. I'm thinking there should be an agreed stance in every ROM thread to have it in big, bold, annoyingly red fonts not to use ROM Manager.

With that said, you should have taken the time to read the IHO Github installation instructions. At least until the part about flashing G-Apps. No, really. You should have. You also could have searched the forum for your solution. Or you know, skimmed the topics of the stickies and found the fix. But I digress.

Get into your ROM and flash a new recovery via Terminal Emulator, the RIGHT way.

ROM
    Harmonia 3

They find Rom Manager in Market and and on various sites touting it.

They only come here after it borks their phone.

I'm glad I found this place first.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

ROM
    Stock

Smile [solved mostly]: Stuff missing after CM7

After several "reboot recovery" attempts I got a screen of options to select with the up/down buttons and was able to install the gapps zip file.

World is rosy now, thanks all.

Still unresolved is the issue of where my ringtones are? I have them in /RINGTONES on the SD card but they do not appear when trying to select a ring tone in settings. I can play them via file browser so know they are there? Does CM7 require they be placed in some special location now? ( I tried /media/audio/ringtones )

This is a minor annoyance right now since everything else seems to be just peachy !

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

Default Re: [solved mostly]: Stuff missing after CM7

Quote Originally Posted by paulkruger View Post
    After several "reboot recovery" attempts I got a screen of options to select with the up/down buttons and was able to install the gapps zip file.

World is rosy now, thanks all.

Still unresolved is the issue of where my ringtones are? I have them in /RINGTONES on the SD card but they do not appear when trying to select a ring tone in settings. I can play them via file browser so know they are there? Does CM7 require they be placed in some special location now? ( I tried /media/audio/ringtones )

This is a minor annoyance right now since everything else seems to be just peachy !
    sdcard/media/audio/ringtones

sdcard/media/audio/notifications

If you move them to the system you will need to reboot. Might need to reboot anyway for them to show up.

ROM
    Harmonia 3

I will bet the bitrate is incompatible with the ringtone system.
    The same happened when someone was trying to use one as a boot sound.

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    I will bet the bitrate is incompatible with the ringtone system.
    The same happened when someone was trying to use one as a boot sound.
    Never even thought about that.

Another option it is not the proper format. IIRC ringtones have to be .mp3/4 or .ogg. Flac and AAC are not supported by android.