[GUIDE] 2012 Optimus V Reference Guide (Start here!)

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
When it was written, things were different.
The guide needs some minor updating and I actually would like to get a more up to date root guide. One that preferably covers older, newer and updated phones.

agianne

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for putting this together. I followed the info here (and in the other posts the guide links to) and was able to root my phone, add a recovery and flash the Harmonia 1.7 ROM with no problems what so ever.

I'm a noob and was concerned that I'd hose it up and brick my phone, but I did a ton of reading in this forum and over at XDA before I even thought about getting started and that definitely helped. Without this "step-by-step" guide, I don't think I could have pulled this off so painlessly.

Thanks again.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for putting this together. I followed the info here (and in the other posts the guide links to) and was able to root my phone, add a recovery and flash the Harmonia 1.7 ROM with no problems what so ever.

I'm a noob and was concerned that I'd hose it up and brick my phone, but I did a ton of reading in this forum and over at XDA before I even thought about getting started and that definitely helped. Without this "step-by-step" guide, I don't think I could have pulled this off so painlessly.

Thanks again.
If only so many others followed your example. :)

uznik

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
LeslieAnn
I rooted & installed link2sd 8 months ago. I partitioned my 16g sd card (4g for apps).
Will this partition cause any problems if I use Harmonia 2.06 rom ?
Will I need Link2SD with Gingerbread rom ?
Do I use terminal emulator for backup, wipe, & to install Harmonia 2 rom ?

Thanks

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
this is a must read. there's info here i hadn't even read yet and i tend to read way back in the forum. this consolidates many sources in one thread. nice to have,thanks for putting it together :thumbup:

jaredw444

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't believe all the hype about Rom manager, it works fine never had a single problem with it on my optimus v, intercept(by the way the worst phone ever made...EVER), triumph or my eee pad transformer. i have used almost every menu option and never had an issue.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't believe all the hype about Rom manager, it works fine never had a single problem with it on my optimus v, intercept(by the way the worst phone ever made...EVER), triumph or my eee pad transformer. i have used almost every menu option and never had an issue.

A. Rom manager black screens newer phones because it installs an incompatible recovery.
B. The roms listed in it for the OV are not only old, and will black screen a newer OV, but were NOT put there by the rom developers. In other words, anyone can put a rom on there regardless if they made it or not. Loaded with spyware, or not.

If you read and research, yes, it can be used relatively safely, but most people who use it are looking for an easy way so they don't have to read about it.

There are PLENTY of horror stories about that program, especially with the OV.
And since you aren't the one having to clean up that mess every time, please don't go telling people that it works fine when in fact it clearly does not.

Reactions: srkelley

jaredw444

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
if they were smart and did the research they wouldn't jack up there phone. its common sense download your roms from the creators. and use rom manager to flash them. i say rom manager is fine because you have to use it right most of the people who mess up their phones with it just flash and go. when you test out a new app like rom manager make a back up and test it out,(and i have the new version of the optimus,) so you know what the problems are. and by now any one with an optimus should know what and what not to do with rom manager.

For the new people listen to people who have done alot with android and DO RESEARCH... extensively on multiple sites. and i wasn't trying to upset leslieAnn. this thread is very good, and is one of the reason i tried rom manager just to try and work it on the lg optimus. if you read the the thread and follow the basics of roms and rom manager then you'll never have a problem.

my Apology.

Last edited:

driya2010

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Thats right. By itself ROM Manager is good concept and probably created well. It is possible that the execution is what is giving it the bad name. I have not used it or seen it, so I cannot be sure.

jaredw444

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
you just gatta try stuff out.. and always make a backup(it'll save your butt). and once you get a hang of stuff then you really get to have fun and try and do new stuff.. right now trying to turn pictures into a kind of slide show boot animation,

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
if they were smart and did the research they wouldn't jack up there phone. its common sense download your roms from the creators. and use rom manager to flash them. i say rom manager is fine because you have to use it right most of the people who mess up their phones with it just flash and go. when you test out a new app like rom manager make a back up and test it out,(and i have the new version of the optimus,) so you know what the problems are. and by now any one with an optimus should know what and what not to do with rom manager.

For the new people listen to people who have done alot with android and DO RESEARCH... extensively on multiple sites. and i wasn't trying to upset leslieAnn. this thread is very good, and is one of the reason i tried rom manager just to try and work it on the lg optimus. if you read the the thread and follow the basics of roms and rom manager then you'll never have a problem.

my Apology.

The problem with this is, people who are going to use ROM Manager don't do their research. They are usually looking for quick, easy, one click method and don't know anything about Android in general, let alone their particular device. Once they get root (usually by a one click method) they are going to look for another one click method to install a recovery and flash a rom. ROM Manager will not install the correct recovery for the V and the roms listed for the V are old, out dated and posted by the developers. Please stop advocating its use as more noobs will use it blindly resulting more soft bricks and requests for help.

Jakethedrummer

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, excellent information! I was wondering though, when I rooted my phone with gingerbreak.apk v1.2, it installed an app called superuser. Is that a rom manager? I cant seem to find anything that superuser does that is worth keeping it on my phone except bugging me every time an app wants permission for something

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, excellent information! I was wondering though, when I rooted my phone with gingerbreak.apk v1.2, it installed an app called superuser. Is that a rom manager? I cant seem to find anything that superuser does that is worth keeping it on my phone except bugging me every time an app wants permission for something

All superuser does is give permission to apps. Say yes when those popups come up, it may be annoying, but the app is the way other apps ask for certain permission. Like on windows 7 when it asks "Do you want this program to make changes."

Reactions: Jakethedrummer

Jakethedrummer

May 6, 2012
Visit site
All superuser does is give permission to apps. Say yes when those popups come up, it may be annoying, but the app is the way other apps ask for certain permission. Like on windows 7 when it asks "Do you want this program to make changes."

Oh alright, so I should definately keep the app then?