Temporarily Root question

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so my mom just got her OV, the question I have can I Temporarily Root flash a custom recovery then unroot until she gets use to the android feel; and still be able to install a custom ROM on it later if she wants one?

It is already rooted.

anon(395747)

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
You can do a complete root and flash a custom recovery and leave it for now. It won't affect anything else. Then once she gets accustomed to it, do a back up of whatever is on the phone currently, do a complete wipe (factory, cache, and dalvik cache) and then flash one of the IHO ROMs.

Or ultimately, you could just flash the ROM now since its 99% identical to what is on there now. :p

DizzmalDan420

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
In and of itself, root access doesn't really change much of anything as far as general operation is concerned. Fairly unlikely that she'd accidentally boot into recovery and mess around with anything dangerous if it's on stock ROM. Seems simplest to just leave it as it is so it'll be ready to put a custom ROM on when she's familiar with Android and ready for something better than stock.

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Here's a side question I want to know.

If you restore your OV back to normal, and put the stock recovery on, will Factory Reset work?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

DizzmalDan420

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
As long as you're completely stock, kernel and all, I'd suspect you'd be able to do a factory reset from within the OS. Not sure I'd want to be the one to find out the hard way, though.

john419

Banned
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I do it all the time. Fairy easy to do. In the gingerbreak app there's 2 options root and unroot device. Seriously takes like 15 secs to root and unroot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac