Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 937
Like Tree105Likes
  1. #326  
    thewraith420's Avatar

    Posts
    1,918 Posts
    ROM
    Changes Daily

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anthonycr View Post
    So where is stock recovery at? And should we flash that to make sure it takes?

    Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    Just flash the whole vm update twice. Flash once with iho or bobzhome reboot and let the rom load then shut down and enter recovery manually and flash again with your now stock recovery

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #327  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

    Why?
    What are you hoping to accomplish?

    Just flash the radio update and be done.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  3. #328  
    thewraith420's Avatar

    Posts
    1,918 Posts
    ROM
    Changes Daily

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    Why?
    What are you hoping to accomplish?

    Just flash the radio update and be done.
    The radio update wouldn't take for me.. Had flash from stock recovery for it to stick according to qpst

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
  4. #329  

    Default Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

    Does anyone have a flashable stock recovery? Rather than doing the whole security update and rooting it
    Optimus V w/ MiRaGe CM7.2 @ 768mhz, latest sprint PRL
  5. #330  
    thewraith420's Avatar

    Posts
    1,918 Posts
    ROM
    Changes Daily

    Default Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

    Quote Originally Posted by economichitman View Post
    Does anyone have a flashable stock recovery? Rather than doing the whole security update and rooting it
    thats an idea.... but remember on stock recovery the only option you have is to install update.zip from sdcard. so... you could try renaming the patch update.zip... but i dont know if that would work or mess anything up...
  6. #331  
    thewraith420's Avatar

    Posts
    1,918 Posts
    ROM
    Changes Daily

    Default Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

    i could also note that the signal difference is still minimal.... prl update had a bigger effect for me
  7. #332  
    Dannemand's Avatar

    Posts
    445 Posts
    ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

    Default Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

    Following the latest reports from thewraith, I am wondering now what would be the safest and surest way to flash this radio update and make sure it really takes:

    1) Simply flash LeslieAnn's zip using any non-Touch, non-Multirom recovery -- hope and pray that it doesn't brick and that the update takes.

    2) Rename LeslieAnn's ZIP to update.zip, flash stock recovery (I saved it when first rooting) and flash update.zip from there. Re-flash custom recovery, of course.

    3) Run entire VM security update using Bobz/IHO recovery, re-root & ROM using Jerry & jcase's new procedure.

    4) Ultra conservative: Restore stock ROM, flash stock recovery, unroot, run entire VM security update (using stock recovery), re-root & ROM using Jerry & jcase's new procedure. At least this way you'd think VM will make you whole in case something bad happens...

    5) Any other steps prior to flashing that would help in case of accidents? I think someone mentioned a QPST backup (which I haven't tried).

    Even minor radio improvements would be incredibly welcome on my phone, and I want to see if this one can help. But I am also a better safe than sorry kind of guy. Plus since there is no way to read the radio partition and really verify, I'm leaning towards the stockish approach.

    Any input and advice is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #333  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

    Either use Jerry's install, or flash mine twice, should work.

    Keep in mind, my installer is the stock installer, I just trimmed out the excess.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by:
  9. #334  
    Dannemand's Avatar

    Posts
    445 Posts
    ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

    Default Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

    Quote Originally Posted by economichitman View Post
    Does anyone have a flashable stock recovery? Rather than doing the whole security update and rooting it
    Here's my stock recovery from when I first rooted. It's for a 2.2.1 phone. I am not sure yet whether it's any help.


    MD5 ee432af1b9d3c9df96dc796549324684
  10. #335  
    Dannemand's Avatar

    Posts
    445 Posts
    ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

    Default Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    Either use Jerry's install, or flash mine twice, should work.

    Keep in mind, my installer is the stock installer, I just trimmed out the excess.
    Thanks LeslieAnn.

    I couldn't help noticing from thewraith's description, that it only said "radio updating" when he rebooted AFTER flashing the whole shebang. Is it possible that the VM update merely queues the radio image for updating AFTER it has updated the recovery? So that the radio update actually depends in the new stock recovery in order to flash properly?

    I know, I, it's speculation...
  11. #336  
    crickie's Avatar

    Posts
    197 Posts
    ROM
    OV Backside , MIUI 2.4.20

    Default

    I have flashed the update in both my OV's. ( I have both a new and old model) and no problems with the installs. My old OV saw improvement but not the new one. (not any noticable improvement).
    Thanked by:
  12. #337  
    thewraith420's Avatar

    Posts
    1,918 Posts
    ROM
    Changes Daily

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dannemand View Post
    Following the latest reports from thewraith, I am wondering now what would be the safest and surest way to flash this radio update and make sure it really takes:

    1) Simply flash LeslieAnn's zip using any non-Touch, non-Multirom recovery -- hope and pray that it doesn't brick and that the update takes.

    2) Rename LeslieAnn's ZIP to update.zip, flash stock recovery (I saved it when first rooting) and flash update.zip from there. Re-flash custom recovery, of course.

    3) Run entire VM security update using Bobz/IHO recovery, re-root & ROM using Jerry & jcase's new procedure.

    4) Ultra conservative: Restore stock ROM, flash stock recovery, unroot, run entire VM security update (using stock recovery), re-root & ROM using Jerry & jcase's new procedure. At least this way you'd think VM will make you whole in case something bad happens...

    5) Any other steps prior to flashing that would help in case of accidents? I think someone mentioned a QPST backup (which I haven't tried).

    Even minor radio improvements would be incredibly welcome on my phone, and I want to see if this one can help. But I am also a better safe than sorry kind of guy. Plus since there is no way to read the radio partition and really verify, I'm leaning towards the stockish approach.

    Any input and advice is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    On 2. I'm not sure this would work and would want to hear from someone else before trying it

    On 3. Once you flash the whole update and boot into the rom it will automatically flash the stock recovery. When I did it I had to boot back to stock recovery and install update.zip again to get the radio update.

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  13. #338  
    Dannemand's Avatar

    Posts
    445 Posts
    ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thewraith420 View Post
    On 2. I'm not sure this would work and would want to hear from someone else before trying it

    On 3. Once you flash the whole update and boot into the rom it will automatically flash the stock recovery. When I did it I had to boot back to stock recovery and install update.zip again to get the radio update.

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Thanks wraith,

    I see, so (3) really turns into (4) sort of. But then it sounded as if the radio update only happened on reboot after that second flash. That's what caught my attention.

    I am wondering if some of the seemingly successful flashes that have been reported didn't really take - but caused no harm either.

    Thanks again.
  14. #339  
    thewraith420's Avatar

    Posts
    1,918 Posts
    ROM
    Changes Daily

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dannemand View Post
    Thanks wraith,

    I see, so (3) really turns into (4) sort of. But then it sounded as if the radio update only happened on reboot after that second flash. That's what caught my attention.

    I am wondering if some of the seemingly successful flashes that have been reported didn't really take - but caused no harm either.

    Thanks again.
    That's right it happened after installing update.zip from stock after hitting reboot system. I think Bobz and iho recovery are simply ignoring the radio.img and reporting successful flash

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  15. #340  
    drezliok's Avatar

    Posts
    450 Posts
    ROM
    I.H.O. Mirage CM7.2

    Default Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

    Quote Originally Posted by thewraith420 View Post
    That's right it happened after installing update.zip from stock after hitting reboot system. I think Bobz and iho recovery are simply ignoring the radio.img and reporting successful flash

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    what about Xionia?
  16. #341  
    thewraith420's Avatar

    Posts
    1,918 Posts
    ROM
    Changes Daily

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drezliok View Post
    what about Xionia?
    I don't know... Never tried it I think I may have read about ppl flashing the update without bricking. Soo if someone has tried it and can check with qpst....

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
  17. #342  
    JerryScript's Avatar
    Daydream Believer

    Posts
    2,058 Posts
    ROM
    Victorious

    Default Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

    Quote Originally Posted by thewraith420 View Post
    I am sorry Leslie I have to respectfully disagree. After reading your last post I decided to test it and I applied the complete vm update.zip using iho recovery and when it booted the software version under about phone still said zv4. I did a factory reset from the privacy menu... Still zv4. Then I booted into stock recovery and applied the update again ok nothing new until I got to hit reboot system then it quickly said flashing radio.img and then booted and the info in about phone was correct zv9 ok then I turned the phone off to connect to qpst and it also read zv9 ok great. I then rerooted and restored backside then flashed cwmt recovery to connect to qpst. And qpst still says software is zv9. If it were only getting its info from the rom then once I flashed back to backside qpst should also change back to zv4. So I can only conclude that at least Part of the radio update is not being applied

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Could some of you please check what it says in this file:

    /sys/devices/system/soc/soc0/build_id

    I have flashed LeslieAnn's radio zip file three times today, and it still says VM670ZV4
    (I know, I'm late to the party, I like to make an appearance )

    It's too late tonite for me to set up gpst, and I have a full day tomorrow (been told we are getting up early to clean the house, then I have to work till 9ish, god I hate early morning honey-do lists!!!) but I have time on wed to investigate more.

    If this turns out to be a reliable place to get the baseband info from, I can change the code in IHO based ROMs to show the baseband version under Settings>>About phone. It currently is setup to check for gsm basebands, since cdma isn't officially supported. I'm just not sure if that file is written by the ROM, or it's value is grabbed from the modem. Only those that can double check with gpst will know for sure.

    Note- the file exists on the stock donor phone, and it shows ZV9, so I'm hopeful this could work!
    Last edited by JerryScript; 04-03-2012 at 02:34 AM.
    Thanked by 2:
    mrg666 likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #343  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dannemand View Post
    Thanks LeslieAnn.

    I couldn't help noticing from thewraith's description, that it only said "radio updating" when he rebooted AFTER flashing the whole shebang. Is it possible that the VM update merely queues the radio image for updating AFTER it has updated the recovery? So that the radio update actually depends in the new stock recovery in order to flash properly?

    I know, I, it's speculation...

    No, the installer is straight Edify coding, same as we use to install roms all the time, and there is nothing special in it. Besides, if it relied on a specific recovery in the way you are suggesting, we wouldn't have had the bricks as it simply would not have ran.

    For further evidence, Jerry simply replaced the recovery with Bobzhome and it flashes.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by:
  19. #344  
    thewraith420's Avatar

    Posts
    1,918 Posts
    ROM
    Changes Daily

    Default

    Jerry, Mine says vm670zv9 just like qpst. looking hopeful :-)

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  20. #345  
    brotherswing's Avatar

    Posts
    540 Posts
    ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

    Default

    Mine says zv4, odd since under about phone mine has said unknown for the last eight months, regardless of Rom. Looks like I didn't get the flash to take after all, which is weird because I have seen better signal.

    Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk
    #_ Guru-to-Noob Translator C:/_ .
  21. #346  
    RyanJKremer's Avatar

    Posts
    155 Posts
    ROM
    Always changing!

    Default

    Mine says z4 as well. I have an old 2.2.1 ov. There must be more too this than simply flashing a zip in recovery.
    If I made your day a little better, feel free to tap that thanks button!

    "That's what I said!"
  22. #347  
    thewraith420's Avatar

    Posts
    1,918 Posts
    ROM
    Changes Daily

    Default Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

    Quote Originally Posted by brotherswing View Post
    Mine says zv4, odd since under about phone mine has said unknown for the last eight months, regardless of Rom. Looks like I didn't get the flash to take after all, which is weird because I have seen better signal.

    Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk
    i thought mine had it too till i noticed when i was updating my prl that there was a section that said software info and listed zv4 and then zv5 on my freinds newer ov. thats when i started reading a bit in the OS section (they have more experience with radios) i dont remember the specific thread but it said in short if you flash the update.zip first from a custom recovery it'll get you stock unrooted rom + stock recovery. flash again from stock recovery to get the radio update. as for the about phone baseband info..... that hasent worked as long as i've been tinkering around but really havent had a need either since there were no radios to flash anyway. now... we have one but it would be convenient if jerry can get it to display the correct info. i dont know how much help it will be (probably none) but the SW Version in about phone on the new zv9 stock rom seemed to be able to read what version i had... it read zv4 untill i flashed again from stock recovery (same time qpst reported zv9). also the baseband section on it must be set by the rom because it said zv9 even when the SW Version said Zv4
    Thanked by 2:
  23. #348  
    anthonycr's Avatar
    Themer. You've seen them

    Posts
    2,117 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

    Mine says zv4... I flashed Leslie's update twice too.

    I bet Leslie knew this all along and just wanted to see how many of us would succumb to the shiny and secretly she's laughing at her desk at all of us that think we are running zv9, reporting all sorts of improvements when we haven't actually flashed anything.
  24. #349  
    Dannemand's Avatar

    Posts
    445 Posts
    ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

    Default

    ^^
    LOL
  25. #350  
    brotherswing's Avatar

    Posts
    540 Posts
    ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

    Default

    I didn't flash the full update, just the radio update. I never lost my recovery or Rom. I might go back through and do the full update, reroot, then flash BACKside again. Sounds like a lot of work though. I might not. Not entirely certain I would see a benefit, especially since my last attempt.

    Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk
    #_ Guru-to-Noob Translator C:/_ .
Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

B