[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

I am sorry Leslie I have to respectfully disagree. After reading your last post I decided to test it and I applied the complete vm update.zip using iho recovery and when it booted the software version under about phone still said zv4. I did a factory reset from the privacy menu... Still zv4. Then I booted into stock recovery and applied the update again ok nothing new until I got to hit reboot system then it quickly said flashing radio.img and then booted and the info in about phone was correct zv9 ok then I turned the phone off to connect to qpst and it also read zv9 ok great. I then rerooted and restored backside then flashed cwmt recovery to connect to qpst. And qpst still says software is zv9. If it were only getting its info from the rom then once I flashed back to backside qpst should also change back to zv4. So I can only conclude that at least Part of the radio update is not being applied

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Could some of you please check what it says in this file:

/sys/devices/system/soc/soc0/build_id

I have flashed LeslieAnn's radio zip file three times today, and it still says VM670ZV4
(I know, I'm late to the party, I like to make an appearance ;))

It's too late tonite for me to set up gpst, and I have a full day tomorrow (been told we are getting up early to clean the house, then I have to work till 9ish, god I hate early morning honey-do lists!!!) but I have time on wed to investigate more.

If this turns out to be a reliable place to get the baseband info from, I can change the code in IHO based ROMs to show the baseband version under Settings>>About phone. It currently is setup to check for gsm basebands, since cdma isn't officially supported. I'm just not sure if that file is written by the ROM, or it's value is grabbed from the modem. Only those that can double check with gpst will know for sure. ;)

Note- the file exists on the stock donor phone, and it shows ZV9, so I'm hopeful this could work!

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Thanks LeslieAnn.

I couldn't help noticing from thewraith's description, that it only said "radio updating" when he rebooted AFTER flashing the whole shebang. Is it possible that the VM update merely queues the radio image for updating AFTER it has updated the recovery? So that the radio update actually depends in the new stock recovery in order to flash properly?

I know, I, it's speculation...

No, the installer is straight Edify coding, same as we use to install roms all the time, and there is nothing special in it. Besides, if it relied on a specific recovery in the way you are suggesting, we wouldn't have had the bricks as it simply would not have ran.

For further evidence, Jerry simply replaced the recovery with Bobzhome and it flashes.

Reactions: Dannemand

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine says zv4, odd since under about phone mine has said unknown for the last eight months, regardless of Rom. Looks like I didn't get the flash to take after all, which is weird because I have seen better signal.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Mine says zv4, odd since under about phone mine has said unknown for the last eight months, regardless of Rom. Looks like I didn't get the flash to take after all, which is weird because I have seen better signal.

i thought mine had it too till i noticed when i was updating my prl that there was a section that said software info and listed zv4 and then zv5 on my freinds newer ov. thats when i started reading a bit in the OS section (they have more experience with radios) i dont remember the specific thread but it said in short if you flash the update.zip first from a custom recovery it'll get you stock unrooted rom + stock recovery. flash again from stock recovery to get the radio update. as for the about phone baseband info..... that hasent worked as long as i've been tinkering around but really havent had a need either since there were no radios to flash anyway. now... we have one but it would be convenient if jerry can get it to display the correct info. i dont know how much help it will be (probably none) but the SW Version in about phone on the new zv9 stock rom seemed to be able to read what version i had... it read zv4 untill i flashed again from stock recovery (same time qpst reported zv9). also the baseband section on it must be set by the rom because it said zv9 even when the SW Version said Zv4

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

Mine says zv4... I flashed Leslie's update twice too.

I bet Leslie knew this all along and just wanted to see how many of us would succumb to the shiny and secretly she's laughing at her desk at all of us that think we are running zv9, reporting all sorts of improvements when we haven't actually flashed anything.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I didn't flash the full update, just the radio update. I never lost my recovery or Rom. I might go back through and do the full update, reroot, then flash BACKside again. Sounds like a lot of work though. I might not. Not entirely certain I would see a benefit, especially since my last attempt.

krowley3

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

I went about it the same way thewraith420 did his except after I flashed the update.zip, I was in a bootloop. I pulled the battery and it rebooted into stock recovery where I did the factory reset from there. I then rebooted the system and it went right into the Stock OS. Turned the phone off and booted back into stock recovery and reflashed the update.zip and sure enough when I went to reboot, it said Flashing Radio. After that it booted into the Stock OS and I rerooted using Jerry's/jcase's root exploit and reinstalled IHO recovery and latest Backside. At one point yesterday, I put Xionia on and pulled the properties from QPST and sure enough, I have ZV9 now. I had previously had ZV4 in QPST even after flashing Leslie's Radio file. Whole process took maybe 20-25 minutes. Not hard to do at all in my opinion.

Reactions: Dannemand

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Alright, you've convinced me. When my little monster goes down for his nap, I'll do it up.

IMG_20120401_183651.jpg

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

i thought mine had it too till i noticed when i was updating my prl that there was a section that said software info and listed zv4 and then zv5 on my freinds newer ov. thats when i started reading a bit in the OS section (they have more experience with radios) i dont remember the specific thread but it said in short if you flash the update.zip first from a custom recovery it'll get you stock unrooted rom + stock recovery. flash again from stock recovery to get the radio update. as for the about phone baseband info..... that hasent worked as long as i've been tinkering around but really havent had a need either since there were no radios to flash anyway. now... we have one but it would be convenient if jerry can get it to display the correct info. i dont know how much help it will be (probably none) but the SW Version in about phone on the new zv9 stock rom seemed to be able to read what version i had... it read zv4 untill i flashed again from stock recovery (same time qpst reported zv9). also the baseband section on it must be set by the rom because it said zv9 even when the SW Version said Zv4

The reason it has never shown in custom ROMs is because Google by default only supports gsm phones, so the code has to be tweaked by manufacturers/carriers to show cdma. The code uses gsm, but I think I've found where the correct info is now. ;)

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Zv4 still for me. I saw that the optimus s is getting another gb update and possible radio update in the next few days. Must be nice to not be the red headed step child of sprint. Its a hard knock life for optimUS

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

No, the installer is straight Edify coding, same as we use to install roms all the time, and there is nothing special in it. Besides, if it relied on a specific recovery in the way you are suggesting, we wouldn't have had the bricks as it simply would not have ran.

For further evidence, Jerry simply replaced the recovery with Bobzhome and it flashes.

On my phone, I used BobZhome recovery, and the file I mentioned still says ZV4. I will use gpst tomorrow to check and see if it worked or not. ;)

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

On my phone, I used BobZhome recovery, and the file I mentioned still says ZV4. I will use gpst tomorrow to check and see if it worked or not. ;)

So, I flashed the update in IHO recovery when it was released and it said it flashed fine. Feel free to yell at me for not reading almost 40 pages to find out what's going on, but will you checking your phone with QPST confirm if the flash actually took for us or not? I really thought I was seeing better reception, being able to use my phone at work a little easier, but I guess it could be coincidental.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
So, I flashed the update in IHO recovery when it was released and it said it flashed fine. Feel free to yell at me for not reading almost 40 pages to find out what's going on, but will you checking your phone with QPST confirm if the flash actually took for us or not? I really thought I was seeing better reception, being able to use my phone at work a little easier, but I guess it could be coincidental.

Yes qpst will confirm it or as it seems jerry discovered a file with the info in it read back a few posts from him

krowley3

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

Could some of you please check what it says in this file:

/sys/devices/system/soc/soc0/build_id

I have flashed LeslieAnn's radio zip file three times today, and it still says VM670ZV4
(I know, I'm late to the party, I like to make an appearance ;))

It's too late tonite for me to set up gpst, and I have a full day tomorrow (been told we are getting up early to clean the house, then I have to work till 9ish, god I hate early morning honey-do lists!!!) but I have time on wed to investigate more.

If this turns out to be a reliable place to get the baseband info from, I can change the code in IHO based ROMs to show the baseband version under Settings>>About phone. It currently is setup to check for gsm basebands, since cdma isn't officially supported. I'm just not sure if that file is written by the ROM, or it's value is grabbed from the modem. Only those that can double check with gpst will know for sure. ;)

Note- the file exists on the stock donor phone, and it shows ZV9, so I'm hopeful this could work!

When viewing this file on my phone it now reads VM670ZV9 and I have verified the same in QPST.

Reactions: JerryScript
Status
Not open for further replies.