[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

krowley3

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

Thanks, what ROM are you running when you read that file?

I am running the latest Backside(thanks by the way) that I downloaded yesterday and did a clean install. Currently have IHO Recovery installed but when I read in QPST I had to install Xionia Recovery for QPST to recognize my phone. I went through the same update as thewraith420 and the Radio flashed properly(even says that it is flashing the radio). I also checked in QPST before and it did read zv4 prior and that was after flashing LeslieAnn's flashable zip.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who still has zv4 or 5 if you still want to update. Do a backup then Flash the whole vm update.zip from a non-Touch recovery and let stock ROM boot. Then shut down, enter recovery manually (should be stock recovery now) and apply the update.zip once more. When you reboot system it will flash the radio update. From here you'll need to follow JerryScript and jcase's instructions to reroot. Once that's done you should have no trouble restoring your backup and will be on the latest zv9 radio.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JerryScript

kirurus

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

Anyone who still has zv4 or 5 if you still want to update. Do a backup then Flash the whole vm update.zip from a non-Touch recovery and let stock ROM boot. Then shut down, enter recovery manually (should be stock recovery now) and apply the update.zip once more. When you reboot system it will flash the radio update. From here you'll need to follow JerryScript and jcase's instructions to reroot. Once that's done you should have no trouble restoring your backup and will be on the latest zv9 radio.

You mean the update from the VM website correct?

Last edited:

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Well... I suppose I'll wait for people who have actually gotten it to flash to say whether they see much of a difference.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Question... why flash the whole update zip and reroot? Why not download the zip, delete recovery folder and the check pre_req file and rezip? Then use the zip in jerrys thread to get su? I did that and worked fine being already rooted. And still had IHO recovery after. May have been a lucky break but it worked. Beats using adb. Any thoughts or constructive criticism is welcomed

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Question... why flash the whole update zip and reroot? Why not download the zip, delete recovery folder and the check pre_req file and rezip? Then use the zip in jerrys thread to get su? I did that and worked fine being already rooted. And still had IHO recovery after. May have been a lucky break but it worked. Beats using adb. Any thoughts or constructive criticism is welcomed

Because iho recovery isn't flashing the radio. Before I got the radio to stick I tried flashing the update.zip and then while still in IHO recovery tflashing jcase's rootme.Zip it worked as far as returning me to stock rooted and left my recovery intact but the radio wasn't updated either

Reactions: 00_wrath_00

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Because iho recovery isn't flashing the radio. Before I got the radio to stick I tried flashing the update.zip and then while still in IHO recovery tflashing jcase's rootme.Zip it worked as far as returning me to stock rooted and left my recovery intact but the radio wasn't updated either

It was just a thought

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
It would've been nice if it did work that way :) really tho I had a harder time setting up adb then following the reroot procedure

I had no problems but my OV isn't the first optimus i rooted lol. But since the recovery folder and deleting the check preqeq and keeping radio in, wouldn't I it be like flashing a regular from zip?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I had no problems but my OV isn't the first optimus i rooted lol. But since the recovery folder and deleting the check preqeq and keeping radio in, wouldn't I it be like flashing a regular from zip?

Yes it would but at least for now our custom recoveries just don't want to flash the radio correctly. I'd like to hear from one of the devs their thoughts on renaming leslies patch to update.zip and trying to apply it from stock recovery.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

ADB has never worked right for me. I might try again tomorrow though just for kicks, no reason not to, really.

Cincy Dad

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

I'm convinced that my flash of the radio update using CWM Recovery 3.2.0.1 took. I've driven around the area with two OV's with identical roms. The first time around, only one phone was flashed and it always had the same number of bars or as many as 2 more, never less. It never lost 3g where was the unflashed phone totally lost 3g on a few occasions. After flashing the second phone and going back through the same route, I can see that the phones now usually have the same number of bars with either phone occasionally having an extra bar, which is what you would normally expect to see of two identical phones. I don't know how to read QPST but it doesn't matter to me. I have two phones that are now getting a better signal since flashing the radio update.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I'm convinced that my flash of the radio update using CWM Recovery 3.2.0.1 took. I've driven around the area with two OV's with identical roms. The first time around, only one phone was flashed and it always had the same number of bars or as many as 2 more, never less. It never lost 3g where was the unflashed phone totally lost 3g on a few occasions. After flashing the second phone and going back through the same route, I can see that the phones now usually have the same number of bars with either phone occasionally having an extra bar, which is what you would normally expect to see of two identical phones. I don't know how to read QPST but it doesn't matter to me. I have two phones that are now getting a better signal since flashing the radio update.

A matter of inches in relation to phone placement can improve / hurt signal strength (hell, a variation of 5-15 degrees rotation can mean signal or no signal for me sometimes.) Not trying to argue, but it seems evidence is pointing to these radio flashes not taking. Someone smarter than me can diagnose this further, of course, I thought I was getting better signal too, but I didn't realize that before I flashed, I was "accepting" where I got signal and where I didn't, so I never tried to use it like I do now, when I very well might have been able to all along.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Check the file I mentioned, it will let you know if the change took.

/sys/devices/system/soc/soc0/build_id

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I looked at the phone in QPST.
I have flashed mine with nearly all of the update.. all but recovery, and in the phone it showed ZV9 and in QPST it showed ZV4.

When I hook up my Evo to QPST, it does NOT show the radio, it gives a software build number, but while that relates to the phones firmware, it does not necessarily equal the radio. In the Evo, you have the firmware, the Hboot, and then 2 different radios, all of which can be flashed separately.

So basically, as far as I'm concerned I think, the radio is flashing, if it was doing nothing, we would not have gotten any bricks. Second, people are seeing differences in reception and call quality even when qpst shows zv4. These are not wishful thinking, this is happening, so while there is the possibility that not ALL of the radio is flashing, it is flashing enough to do something. It's probably just not flashing a file that changes the radio ID tag.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

I have done the followings
- did a nandroid backup from IHO recovery
- flashed the VM update with IHO recovery after a clean wipe,
- rebooted into stock 2.2.2 Android
- applied the update from stock recovery again
- rebooted and rooted again with Gordita method
- installed IHO recovery
- rebooted into IHO recovery and restored my nandroid backup.

I am back at the same stone but this time with ZV9 baseband as you can see the screenshots below with MiRaGe 04032012 build. The first screenshot is after flashing just the radio update with the IHO recovery which did not go through. The second is after the above procedure.

I had tested the original flash update in this thread with two phones as I had posted earlier in this thread. The other phone is still ZV4 and running the same MiRaGe build. I have done the exact test and the result is the same (see the link) with this proper radio update.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski