[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

I installed the zv9 update the complete way. I was running without any problems with the April 1st backside. Today I updated to the latest version with a clean install. I also replaced my sdcard. Now I also have the reboot problems that others are mentioning. My phone will reboot randomly when sending texts. :(

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

I flashed the 3/24 build of mirage after doing the full security update, and ran it for several days with no reboot issues. Only once I updated to the 4/3 build, I started having problems the next day. I reverted to my nandroid of the 3/24 build and havent had any issues since.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

This thread is a mess. It's almost impossible to keep track of who flashed the radio-only update (which doesn't work), who did the non-working radio only update and are running IHO therefore seeing no issues because the update didn't actually take, or who flashed the full update (which DOES write the radio), or who flashed it correctly and just didn't see an improvement (which is also possible.)
I have seen some evidence to prove this, but I have yet to see 100% proof of it yet.
And don't tell me CDMA Workshop, even the other methods have proven to be inaccurate. We don't yet seem to have any sure way to tell for certain.

The only real truly solid evidence I have seen is TheWraith420's post where he flashed Sprint then this and got nothing. Not that I doubt him, but I prefer more than one persons results, especially when I can point to several who have had success with this and knowing how flaky flashing, towers, and Virgin can be.

And yes, I agree, it's a mess we have people cross posting in all three threads who have all used different methods, which only complicates it more.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

It was a joke. I consider you one of the voices of reason in this thread! :D

This space intentionally left blank.
Again I apologize for jumping the gun on assuming something.

You forgot one step, I guess. You also need to time travel and return to the same time with the previous test. Who knows, there can be a solar flare in between the two tests.

I am pretty sure now, this update is cursed too. It seems you are already possessed by it.
You and I havent always seen eye to eye, however I think what you do here is good stuff. But when testing things like radios and stuff placement of the device is VERY important. In a test environment they use mounts that keep the phone in a certain position and doesnt allow for moving the phone. Because of the fact turning or moving it slightly can affect this.

I'm sorry eollie, I didn't mean to insult you. It's just that I in all the years I've owned a cell phone, I've yet to experience any serious antenna issues and so naturally I would doubt that unless you could offer some hard proof. I'm sorry but that's just my thought.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Neither did the people dealing with the iPhone antennagate fiasco. Remember these phones have a built in antenna that is concealed inside the phone. There is no exterior antenna that is truly omni-directional. Therefore placement is very crucial.

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Didn't realize you were using the GB kernel in quattrimus. Is the reason we aren't already using that in IHO because we didn't have the Sprint GB back then or what?

Again, if there's anything you want me to test or try, I'm happy to do so. Just pm me.

Edit: read mrg's after posting this.

Yeah.. I'm not sure 100% but I think IHO came out before the Sprint GB update. So the froyo kernel was used. And it works so well there hasn't been any reason to change.
I picked the GB kernel for ICS mainly because that's what Drew used. But I really want to update, as ICS plays nicer with a matching kernel.

Reactions: Dannemand

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I thought Jerry was saying that the recoveries don't have the code necessary to flash the radio, and if you go through the full update, there is a separate "writing radio..." notification, followed by a reboot which brings up a little android dude and a progress bar, then another reboot into your actual phone. Flashing just the radio update does none of that, nor did I see the improvement (and vice versa, the problems with IHO) until I did the full update.zip flash.

Obviously, I am not well versed when it comes to such advanced Android goodness, so forgive any "know it all" tones that may come from this, it's certainly not intentional. I just can't think in my limited knowledge what more proof is necessary that the radio update by itself doesn't work in our custom recoveries.

Last edited:

gunson

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone have ideas to what is causing the reboot issues?

What we know so far is that reboots can happen after flashing the full VM9 zip:

while running GB IHO Roms,

normally after texting but also sometimes while placing calls or cycling airplane mode.

When it reboots after sending a text the text always goes through and it always instantly reboots right after hitting the send button. ( maybe the speed which the text is sent is a factor? )

ICS and Froyo ROMS seem to be unaffected by the reboot issue.

If anyone would like me to test anything on my phone shoot me a private message.

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone have ideas to what is causing the reboot issues?

If anyone would like me to test anything on my phone shoot me a private message.

I would really like to see if there is a /proc/last_kmsg after the reboot, and what it says.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
For the record, I've had exactly one reboot after sending a text. After that happened, I cleared the data for Handcent, then ran fix_permissions from the terminal emulator. I haven't been able to reproduce the bug since. Full update, running BACKside 0409.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

ICS and Froyo ROMS seem to be unaffected by the reboot issue.

Oh, and also -- has anyone tried running an IHO ROM with GingerKernel? If this fixes the reboot issue, that would pretty much prove it's a kernel (in)compatibility issue.

If someone has a good repro but not the skillz to transplant kernels, just reply and I'll try to get you going. I'll need a link to your ROM download.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

I forgot what it's called but why don't someone post a link to pastebin of that log you can make with a command in the terminal...

I just woke up and sorta out of it. I think the command has "cat" in it.

Sorry for my tired running sentences.

[Edit]
su
logcat > /sdcard/logcat.txt
[/edit]

Last edited:

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

I would really like to see if there is a /proc/last_kmsg after the reboot, and what it says.

Darn, I forgot, you asked about that before. There isn't one right now, but I'll check after the next reboot.

Oh, and also -- has anyone tried running an IHO ROM with GingerKernel? If this fixes the reboot issue, that would pretty much prove it's a kernel (in)compatibility issue.

If someone has a good repro but not the skillz to transplant kernels, just reply and I'll try to get you going. I'll need a link to your ROM download.

I'll try this for sure, I can usually reproduce this at will. I am on MiRaGe 04/03 which is downloaded from here here. Problem is I am really busy today, it will probably be tomorrow. If anyone beats me to it, all the better...

Edit: oh, and thanks a lot for your focus on this, much appreciated :)

Last edited:

kraven

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

For the record, I've had exactly one reboot after sending a text. After that happened, I cleared the data for Handcent, then ran fix_permissions from the terminal emulator. I haven't been able to reproduce the bug since. Full update, running BACKside 0409.

Tried this also and so far so good

gunson

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

I've done the same thing and the reboots still happen. I recently had a reboot from using airplane mode so i sent the last_kmsg file to tdm so maybe he can make sense out of whats causing this issue.

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

No Reboots or problems Here- Last night I did the full update by going to stock and seeing the message for "flash radio" during a reboot- and then re-rooting and going straight to Quattrimus Alpha7.

If you did not see this "flash radio" message your phone has not changed at all.

And by the way- the radio update has worked great for me. I traditionally have always gotten no signal in a basement where I work but my friend with a Sprint EVO got signal and 3g just fine. Today in the basement I not only just got signal but also 3G at 1 bar.

If you have any questions or something for me to test let me know.
*This is NOT a craptastic radio update*

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Darn, I forgot, you asked about that before. There isn't one right now, but I'll check after the next reboot.

I'll try this for sure, I can usually reproduce this at will. I am on MiRaGe 04/03 which is downloaded from here here. Problem is I am really busy today, it will probably be tomorrow. If anyone beats me to it, all the better...

Edit: oh, and thanks a lot for your focus on this, much appreciated :)

I am not able to help either. Because I have sent 30 text messages so far and the phone is not crashing today. I had cleared the data of messaging app. It might have helped or this is my lucky day :) Can you please clear the data of your messaging app and check if you can also eliminate the reboots. Simply go to application management, tap messaging, tap clear data, you will not use your stored messages.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I am not able to help either. Because I have sent 30 text messages so far and the phone is not crashing today. I had cleared the data of messaging app. It might have helped or this is my lucky day :) Can you please clear the data of your messaging app and check if you can also eliminate the reboots. Simply go to application management, tap messaging, tap clear data, you will not use your stored messages.

Just a thought on the clear messaging data fix.. Wouldn't that mean people with fresh installs wouldn't have the issues?

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Just a thought on the clear messaging data fix.. Wouldn't that mean people with fresh installs wouldn't have the issues?

I am not sure since this is not even a confirmed fix.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
^^
Yeah, thanks mrg. Clearing app data was actually one of the first things I tried. But remember, most of my testing is on fresh installs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol