How to move bloatware to sdcard (rooted)

kamyk2000

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I love my phone, but I am so sick of the low internal storage issues. I tried the froyo adb method of making apps moveable to sdcard, and it worked well for anything I had downloaded, but I couldn't move the bloatware, so I rooted.

Now I have no clue how to proceed. I can find hundreds of messages about deleting bloatware, but I have yet to find a single one about moving it to the sdcard, as in - applications>manage>appname>move to sdcard. For reference I am referring to such bloatware as Maps (11mb), Poynt, Twidroyd, Scvngr, Where, etc.

I do not want to delete it, or rename it or whatever, I simply want to be able to move it to the sdcard and still use it if I like, just like any other app. How do I go about this and/or what app do I need to do this with? Again, I have already rooted. I need to know how to proceed from here.

Sorry if this is a n00b question, but I simply cannot find info on it via searching here or the web and I've looked for the past 3 hours. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful...

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Those apps are in the system partition. I think your best bet is to just delete them using a root uninstaller or root capable file manager. Then you can download them from the market and move them to your sd card.

ScatterBrained

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
As riggerman has pointed out, you can't move system apps. You can uninstall them with Titanium Backup. Do you feel those are apps you really need?

kamyk2000

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, in some cases, probably not. However, if they are on the phone, my warranty won't be voided because if I unroot, they will never know. Additionally, some of them do have some use, like Maps, and Where.

Speaking of which, I followed the given advice, and everything worked out fine - except - that for some reason I cannot reinstall Where. It is not on my phone anymore, but no matter how many times I try to get it from the app store, it never makes it to my phone...

I'd love to know how to get it back on my phone, I didn't want to delete it, just move it...

gearsofwar23

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
If u want to keep them on ur SD card get the free android applaction apk extracter and file explorer. Use ur apk extractor to extract/ copy them then use file managers root tool to go into system/apps then delete them. That way if u change ur mind their gonna be on ur SD card to reinstall.

gearsofwar23

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
If ur on stock make sure to get their odex files too I believe they wont work without them being system apps. If u delete them delete the odex files as well.

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Before you do anything else read the stickies at the top of the list of threads. learn how to flash a costume recovery and make a backup first before you delete something you should not.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, in some cases, probably not. However, if they are on the phone, my warranty won't be voided because if I unroot, they will never know. Additionally, some of them do have some use, like Maps, and Where.

Speaking of which, I followed the given advice, and everything worked out fine - except - that for some reason I cannot reinstall Where. It is not on my phone anymore, but no matter how many times I try to get it from the app store, it never makes it to my phone...

I'd love to know how to get it back on my phone, I didn't want to delete it, just move it...

To get an application like Where back on your device, you may have to do one of two things..

1. Find a stock build custom ROM with the bloatware in place that you can download and pull that system app from.

2. See if one of your fellow device owners here can pull it from their device and post it for you to download and install back to your device.

In the future, whenever you go to delete bloatware and I always tell users to first make a Nandroid Backup (depending on what type of recovery your using) before you delete anything so you have that to restore back to. Plus when you go to delete bloatware or remove apps its a good idea to copy and paste them to your sdcard using ES File Explorer and then you can always pull them off your sdcard and keep them on your computer for later. Then once that is done you can go delete the bloatware/system apps.

As gearsofwar23 mentioned, try and grab the .odex file extensions if possible. Its not really gonna hurt anything if you accidentally leave one behind but try to avoid it if possible.

kamyk2000

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I did read the stickies (I always read stickies), that's how I knew how to root my phoe, and what was safe to remove. The only thing I didn't do was back up the app apks, but I figured since they were safe to remove and all available in the app store, it wasn't required. I should have known better, I've been a PC power user for years, so I should have known to back them up anyway.

Anyways thank you all for your answers, with the one exception, everything worked out quite well and I've learned some things. If anyone would care to upload a copy of the Where apk, and whatever else is required, I'd appreciate it. I'm on the LG Optimus V, sw version vm670zv5, android 2.2.2, if it matters.

I will definitely do a backup if I intend to change anything in the future.

Tejer

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
If you want to return to stock in the future, you could always install the 'security' update from Virgin that will return you to pure stock. Or just make a backup of it before you remove the apps in CWRM.

Deucalion29710

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
To get an application like Where back on your device, you may have to do one of two things..

1. Find a stock build custom ROM with the bloatware in place that you can download and pull that system app from.

2. See if one of your fellow device owners here can pull it from their device and post it for you to download and install back to your device.

In the future, whenever you go to delete bloatware and I always tell users to first make a Nandroid Backup (depending on what type of recovery your using) before you delete anything so you have that to restore back to. Plus when you go to delete bloatware or remove apps its a good idea to copy and paste them to your sdcard using ES File Explorer and then you can always pull them off your sdcard and keep them on your computer for later. Then once that is done you can go delete the bloatware/system apps.

As gearsofwar23 mentioned, try and grab the .odex file extensions if possible. Its not really gonna hurt anything if you accidentally leave one behind but try to avoid it if possible.

A "stock custom rom"...isn't that a contradiction?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781