Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

ROM
    stock

Default Re: [ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jca

what is adb? Is there a place to download it from? I googled it and it said I need a server to use it on. All I have is a couple of windows pc's
    Themer. You've seen them

ROM
    Stock

Couldn't you just flash the update, flash the rootme zip, boot into stock rooted and then flash the radio update on the stock recovery?

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

Quote Originally Posted by anthonycr View Post
    Couldn't you just flash the update, flash the rootme zip, boot into stock rooted and then flash the radio update on the stock recovery?
    LeslieAnn's radio update must be called update.zip in order to be recognized by stock recovery. Don't know if it would work in that case, maybe it would.

Edit: Or maybe there is something else in the full VMU update to trigger the radio update, beyond what's in LeslieAnn's radio-only update. Something we don't know about.

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Begue View Post
    what is adb? Is there a place to download it from? I googled it and it said I need a server to use it on. All I have is a couple of windows pc's
    It's the protocol and tools used to connect your PC as a terminal to your phone. Also allows you to enter terminal commands while booted into recovery.

You don't need a server, just a PC. I believe it's well covered in one of the sticky threads.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Changes Daily

Umm no offense but if you don't even know what adb is then you've got some reading to do before you can expect to perform this root exploit. Adb is part of the android sdk development package. I just googled how to setup adb and found this guide to set it up. http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/06/how...droid-devices/. Basically read read and then when you think your done read Some more. There are lots of cool things to do with adb There are also many ways to turn your phone into a paper weight so knowledge is power read everything 2 or 3 times before attempting anything and then ask any questions you might have.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

ROM
    cm9

Quote Originally Posted by Dannemand View Post
    LeslieAnn's radio update must be called update.zip in order to be recognized by stock recovery. Don't know if it would work in that case, maybe it would.

Edit: Or maybe there is something else in the full VMU update to trigger the radio update, beyond what's in LeslieAnn's radio-only update. Something we don't know about.
    on most android devices, stock recovery requires zips to be signed with a secret key only the manufacturer has. if we could flash anything in stock recovery, we could just flash a custom recovery or root that way
    Thanked by:
    Eollie likes this.

Mediafire seems to be failing, I cant download the necessary files. Could someone please attach them in a post?
    Optimus V w/ MiRaGe CM7.2 @ 768mhz, latest sprint PRL

ROM
    cm9

Quote Originally Posted by economichitman View Post
    Mediafire seems to be failing, I cant download the necessary files. Could someone please attach them in a post?
    attached
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanked by:

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

I did the whole shebang, run the VMU update.zip twice (it DID show the radio updating message), then this Gordita exploit. Always a little scary until you have root again (you know: what if for some reason my phone won't root and I'm stuck on stock )

Very smooth and easy. Excellent steps. Thanks A TON to jcase and and Jerry for finding and sharing this. You guys just keep giving and giving!
    Thanked by:

ROM
    stock

Scared of adb guess I will keep old radio

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

I remember when you started, Dave, and you've come a long way. Back then I gave you basically the same advice wraith just gave you now: read, read, read. I still think if you spend a few days studying, you'll find it isn't so bad, and you can do it - particularly with all that you've learned since. But knowing before doing is always good advice.
    Thanked by:
    Dave Begue likes this.
    YAY!!! ME :)

ROM
    Custom ROM & Kernel

When someone tells me they are scared of adb, it is mostly do in part to the whole command line thing that scares them. They are afraid of entering the wrong command and breaking something.

The nice thing about Android is that it is Unix based and that means case sensitive so the chances of entering the wrong command is very small, and most of the time a simple reboot fixes what ever went wrong.
    Dave Begue likes this.

thanks to thewraith420 for the link to the easy adb setup.

@Jerry, just a little edit to the OP, last step of part 3 should be adb reboot recovery
    most people would recognize it, but some might not.

thanks for everything.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownHD View Post
    thanks to thewraith420 for the link to the easy adb setup.

@Jerry, just a little edit to the OP, last step of part 3 should be adb reboot recovery
    most people would recognize it, but some might not.

thanks for everything.
    Actually, that should be adb reboot. No need to go into recovery at that point.

ROM
    I.H.O. Mirage CM7.2

Success. Thankyou.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by JerryScript View Post
    Actually, that should be adb reboot. No need to go into recovery at that point.
    He meant the 2nd part of the Step 3 instructions.

It's listed as "reboot reboot recovery" in your instructions when it should be "adb reboot recovery"
    Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #67  
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Quote Originally Posted by davidh44 View Post
    He meant the 2nd part of the Step 3 instructions.

It's listed as "reboot reboot recovery" in your instructions when it should be "adb reboot recovery"
    Ahh, Thanks! Edited now.

Hi! I do all the steps, but when I tell it to install zip from the sd card on the recovery screen, a black hat with yellow circular arrows show up on the screen and nothing else. This happens for any option I choose on the screen. I have reset it to factory defaults and even have done this with a different computer, but it is still hanging on this step. The only way I was able to get the phone out of recovery mode is to remove the battery. Any advice?

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

Quote Originally Posted by srojtas View Post
    Hi! I do all the steps, but when I tell it to install zip from the sd card on the recovery screen, a black hat with yellow circular arrows show up on the screen and nothing else. This happens for any option I choose on the screen. I have reset it to factory defaults and even have done this with a different computer, but it is still hanging on this step. Any advice?
    Did you check the MD5 of the exploit files (flash_image, VM670NH_recovery.img and jcase_rootme.zip)? If any of those are corrupted, anything could happen - none of it good. Jerry posted MD5s in the OP.

The MD5 of the three files match with the ones posted here.

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

The MD5 of the three files match with the ones posted here.
    OK, good.

I take it it's the last step of flashing jcase_rootme.zip where you get stuck, correct?

Personally, I would run the VMU update.zip again (twice), then retry the root. Do a full wipe first, then install update.zip in IHO recovery, reboot system, power off, boot into recovery (now stock), run update.zip again, reboot system into stock ROM, then do the root exploit.

Maybe Jerry or others have some clever suggestions that are less involved and more informed

Hi! I do all the steps, but when I tell it to install zip from the sd card on the recovery screen, a black hat with yellow circular arrows show up on the screen and nothing else. This happens for any option I choose on the screen. I have reset it to factory defaults and even have done this with a different computer, but it is still hanging on this step. The only way I was able to get the phone out of recovery mode is to remove the battery. Any advice?
    I also had this problem. I thought I kept on having a bad recovery flash. After a whole day of downloading and flashing recoveries I found out that my select button was mapped too the camera.I don't know why this change happened but it did. The same recovery before used the menu button for select. So try the camera or other buttons. In the custom roms the buttons are still mapped correctly. Does anyone know why this change would happen in the recovery?

ROM
    Changes Daily

Camera has been select in iho recovery as long as I remember...

Thanked by:

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

^^
    LOL didn't even occur to me that that could be the problem

Got it working! The camera button was the select button.. didn't know that. And I flashed another ROM on and the phone is running wonderfully.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast