[ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jcase!!

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jca

Failed at the same spot for me. Do a factory reset and then re-do things from the beginning.

Thanks for confirming. I had to do a factory reset with the donor phone as well when testing. I've updated the instructions in the OP to reflect this.

Faydes

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

i did the factory reset i looked back and saw that fix, it did not work, gf got mighty pissed at me for it, it was her phone

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Jerry do you still have that rooted update zip? Now that I'm rooted it may flash with custom recovery. I'm willing to give it a try. Got nothing to lose lol.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

i did the factory reset i looked back and saw that fix, it did not work, gf got mighty pissed at me for it, it was her phone

Try reflashing VM's update and doing another factory reset, then try again.

Are you on a 2.2.1 or a 2.2.2? I have a 2.2.1 and due to some speculation I believe I will need to update and reroot know for sure the radio has been updated in my phone.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I just retested by restoring the donor phone to stock, reflashing the security update, then redoing jcase's root exploit. It worked flawlessly, opened terminal emulator and typed su and SuperUser gave me permission. If you are having trouble getting it to work, please write down the steps you take as you do them, and post them here.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

a 2nd flash from the new stock recovery could possibly take the place of factory reset... its what i did to get the new radio to stick and i walked through the steps easily... even subbed in the normal IHO recovery instead of bobz.... bobz's never wants to mount usb storage for me and i have the 2.2.1 model so IHO recovery works good.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Just did this, had issues so here is my input:

I couldn't get adb to work after the device finishes booting, but it works fine during boot. So after flashing, I ran all the commands right after the android bootanimation started, wasn't too hard. So if your getting permission errors, try doing it quick during boot.

Reactions: JerryScript

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Just a side note guys anyone who wants stock rooted can flash the VM update.zip followed directly by jcase's rootme.Zip and you'll end up with stock rooted with recovery intact. The new zv9 radio won't be applied tho. So if your only doing it for the radio this isn't the way

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Just a side note guys anyone who wants stock rooted can flash the VM update.zip followed directly by jcase's rootme.Zip and you'll end up with stock rooted with recovery intact. The new zv9 radio won't be applied tho. So if your only doing it for the radio this isn't the way
Thanks wraith,

Yeah, that would've been great, if we could just flash update.zip followed by rootme.zip and be done with it all, including radio. Still, this gets us back to yesterday's question if rootme.zip actually could be flashed by the new stock recovery if it were named update.zip.

Edit: Of course you'd have to take out the SD card in between in order to swap the two update.zips. Again, this is pure speculation :p

Reactions: dschlemmer318

Dave Begue

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

what is adb? Is there a place to download it from? I googled it and it said I need a server to use it on. All I have is a couple of windows pc's:confused:

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't you just flash the update, flash the rootme zip, boot into stock rooted and then flash the radio update on the stock recovery?

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't you just flash the update, flash the rootme zip, boot into stock rooted and then flash the radio update on the stock recovery?

LeslieAnn's radio update must be called update.zip in order to be recognized by stock recovery. Don't know if it would work in that case, maybe it would.

Edit: Or maybe there is something else in the full VMU update to trigger the radio update, beyond what's in LeslieAnn's radio-only update. Something we don't know about.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
what is adb? Is there a place to download it from? I googled it and it said I need a server to use it on. All I have is a couple of windows pc's:confused:

It's the protocol and tools used to connect your PC as a terminal to your phone. Also allows you to enter terminal commands while booted into recovery.

You don't need a server, just a PC. I believe it's well covered in one of the sticky threads.

Reactions: Dave Begue

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Umm no offense but if you don't even know what adb is then you've got some reading to do before you can expect to perform this root exploit. Adb is part of the android sdk development package. I just googled how to setup adb and found this guide to set it up. http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/06/how-to-set-up-adb-usb-drivers-for-android-devices/. Basically read read and then when you think your done read Some more. There are lots of cool things to do with adb There are also many ways to turn your phone into a paper weight so knowledge is power read everything 2 or 3 times before attempting anything and then ask any questions you might have.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dave Begue

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site

LeslieAnn's radio update must be called update.zip in order to be recognized by stock recovery. Don't know if it would work in that case, maybe it would.

Edit: Or maybe there is something else in the full VMU update to trigger the radio update, beyond what's in LeslieAnn's radio-only update. Something we don't know about.

on most android devices, stock recovery requires zips to be signed with a secret key only the manufacturer has. if we could flash anything in stock recovery, we could just flash a custom recovery or root that way

Reactions: Dannemand

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Mediafire seems to be failing, I cant download the necessary files. Could someone please attach them in a post?

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

I did the whole shebang, run the VMU update.zip twice (it DID show the radio updating message), then this Gordita exploit. Always a little scary until you have root again (you know: what if for some reason my phone won't root and I'm stuck on stock :D )

Very smooth and easy. Excellent steps. Thanks A TON to jcase and and Jerry for finding and sharing this. You guys just keep giving and giving!

Reactions: JerryScript

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance