[ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jcase!!

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Scared of adb guess I will keep old radio

I remember when you started, Dave, and you've come a long way. Back then I gave you basically the same advice wraith just gave you now: read, read, read. I still think if you spend a few days studying, you'll find it isn't so bad, and you can do it - particularly with all that you've learned since. But knowing before doing is always good advice.

Reactions: Dave Begue

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: [ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jca

Scared of adb guess I will keep old radio

When someone tells me they are scared of adb, it is mostly do in part to the whole command line thing that scares them. They are afraid of entering the wrong command and breaking something.

The nice thing about Android is that it is Unix based and that means case sensitive so the chances of entering the wrong command is very small, and most of the time a simple reboot fixes what ever went wrong.

MidtownHD

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

thanks to thewraith420 for the link to the easy adb setup.

@Jerry, just a little edit to the OP, last step of part 3 should be adb reboot recovery
most people would recognize it, but some might not.

thanks for everything.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

thanks to thewraith420 for the link to the easy adb setup.

@Jerry, just a little edit to the OP, last step of part 3 should be adb reboot recovery
most people would recognize it, but some might not.

thanks for everything.

Actually, that should be adb reboot. No need to go into recovery at that point. ;)

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Actually, that should be adb reboot. No need to go into recovery at that point. ;)

He meant the 2nd part of the Step 3 instructions.

It's listed as "reboot reboot recovery" in your instructions when it should be "adb reboot recovery"

Reactions: JerryScript

srojtas

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Hi! I do all the steps, but when I tell it to install zip from the sd card on the recovery screen, a black hat with yellow circular arrows show up on the screen and nothing else. This happens for any option I choose on the screen. I have reset it to factory defaults and even have done this with a different computer, but it is still hanging on this step. The only way I was able to get the phone out of recovery mode is to remove the battery. Any advice?

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi! I do all the steps, but when I tell it to install zip from the sd card on the recovery screen, a black hat with yellow circular arrows show up on the screen and nothing else. This happens for any option I choose on the screen. I have reset it to factory defaults and even have done this with a different computer, but it is still hanging on this step. Any advice?

Did you check the MD5 of the exploit files (flash_image, VM670NH_recovery.img and jcase_rootme.zip)? If any of those are corrupted, anything could happen - none of it good. Jerry posted MD5s in the OP.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

The MD5 of the three files match with the ones posted here.
OK, good.

I take it it's the last step of flashing jcase_rootme.zip where you get stuck, correct?

Personally, I would run the VMU update.zip again (twice), then retry the root. Do a full wipe first, then install update.zip in IHO recovery, reboot system, power off, boot into recovery (now stock), run update.zip again, reboot system into stock ROM, then do the root exploit.

Maybe Jerry or others have some clever suggestions that are less involved and more informed ;)

anon(194147)

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi! I do all the steps, but when I tell it to install zip from the sd card on the recovery screen, a black hat with yellow circular arrows show up on the screen and nothing else. This happens for any option I choose on the screen. I have reset it to factory defaults and even have done this with a different computer, but it is still hanging on this step. The only way I was able to get the phone out of recovery mode is to remove the battery. Any advice?

I also had this problem. I thought I kept on having a bad recovery flash. After a whole day of downloading and flashing recoveries I found out that my select button was mapped too the camera.I don't know why this change happened but it did. The same recovery before used the menu button for select. So try the camera or other buttons. In the custom roms the buttons are still mapped correctly. Does anyone know why this change would happen in the recovery?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

^^
LOL didn't even occur to me that that could be the problem :D

srojtas

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Got it working! The camera button was the select button.. didn't know that. And I flashed another ROM on and the phone is running wonderfully.

bigrickie77

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
thanks jerry you are the greatest.I flashed the update and with your inst. I had su with no problems.the hardest part was getting adb set up and learning how to use it.I now have full bars and groove ip works a lot better.

Reactions: JerryScript

rvp.770

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Need some help get su permission. I run adb shell in get the $ then type su and get permission denied. Read everywhere. but nothing I type fixes the problem. Have restart computer and phone about 20 times. Still, nothing. I would be greatful for any help on this.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

You won't get su to work till you complete all the steps. The step where you flash the jcase_rootme.zip file is the one that actually gives you root. ;)

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

thanks jerry you are the greatest.I flashed the update and with your inst. I had su with no problems.the hardest part was getting adb set up and learning how to use it.I now have full bars and groove ip works a lot better.

Using the oldie but goodie ROMTools is I think the easiest way to get a computer set up to do this. It installs all necessary drivers and includes adb. Just run it and choose to "flash recovery to phone" and it'll install 3 sets of LG drivers first. Then you can exit out of ROMTools at that point and use adb that's in the same folder.

Reactions: bigrickie77

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Using the oldie but goodie ROMTools is I think the easiest way to get a computer set up to do this. It installs all necessary drivers and includes adb. Just run it and choose to "flash recovery to phone" and it'll install 3 sets of LG drivers first. Then you can exit out of ROMTools at that point and use adb that's in the same folder.

NO. That flashes an old recovery that doesn't support new screens. Change out the recovery files first. I've never been able to get romtools to work anyways

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463