[ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jcase!!

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jca

NO. That flashes an old recovery that doesn't support new screens. Change out the recovery files first. I've never been able to get romtools to work anyways

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

I'm not saying to use ROMTools to flash the recovery. I just said it can be used to install all the necessary LG drivers and provide adb in one simple step. And to exit out of ROMTools once that part is over without actually trying to flash the recovery. As long as your phone is disconnected, there's no risk of it being able to do anything to it anyways.

ROMTools worked great for me to do the initial root/recovery when I got my Optimus V last year.

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying to use ROMTools to flash the recovery. I just said it can be used to install all the necessary LG drivers and provide adb in one simple step. And to exit out of ROMTools once that part is over without actually trying to flash the recovery. As long as your phone is disconnected, there's no risk of it being able to do anything to it anyways.

ROMTools worked great for me to do the initial root/recovery when I got my Optimus V last year.

Oh ok I see. Make sure he knows that to or else he might end up with a blank recovery.

Last edited:

rvp.770

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

GOT. my root back thanks. It was my first time using adb. My problem was I was running adb shell command than trying to input the adb commands. But, now I have learned something. Thanks again for the help.:D

Reactions: glarepate

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
How can I preroot this update? (Make it so I can flash the update with root installed). Would I add su binary to the lib folder?

Ph1Man

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

[INFO]

I will be making a one-click solution for this over the next few days,
and I will put instructions in the second post when ready.​
[/INFO]

Any word on the one click solution for this? I want to use this update to make the radio update work but will brick if I use adb (I know my limits).

Thanks,
Ph1Man

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

-- Run any app that uses the accelerometer, this is to initialize the config files.
If I forgot to do this, but the rest of the process went fine and I've re-rooted and gone back to my IHO ROM, am I ok?

I actually don't even know which stock app uses the accelerometer. Google maps?

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Yeah you are fine if the process went ok and you were able to flash a custom rom.

Any app that responds to you rotating the phone uses the accelerometer.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

How can I preroot this update? (Make it so I can flash the update with root installed). Would I add su binary to the lib folder?

At this time, I don't believe it can be pre-rooted. To do so would involve re-signing the zip file, and the signatures would not match the certificates used by the stock ROM.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Any word on the one click solution for this? I want to use this update to make the radio update work but will brick if I use adb (I know my limits).

Thanks,
Ph1Man

Doesn't look like a one-click solution will work easily, at least on Windows. If you are using Linux, you can use the script posted by jcase in the original Gordita Root thread at xda. ;)

I will work on a bat file for Windows users to try to make things easier.

marlo222

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

Thanks Jerry for s step by step on jcase's root exploit and the step by step on the IHO flash for a noob like me.
Everything worked on the first try!
Enjoying the new ROM it's awesome!
Thanks!

Reactions: JerryScript

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Doesn't look like a one-click solution will work easily, at least on Windows. If you are using Linux, you can use the script posted by jcase in the original Gordita Root thread at xda. ;)

I will work on a bat file for Windows users to try to make things easier.

Windows bat file commands are just to simple to be easy.

By the way I have deodexed the apps and per-rooted the VM update, and it flashes and with Superuser, but only with a custom recovery: trying the per-root with the stock-recovery well brick your phone. I'm working on tweaking Bobzhome v3.7 Kernel (which is the only custom Kernel that well boot and/or the screen rotates), so that WiFi, USB Tathering and USB Mass works.

niftypixel

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

Hello, I'm a bit confused, I've just got a 2.2.1 Optimus V, how can one tell if they need this, or have that security update installed, etc.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Look for the following file, it should read VM670ZV9 if you have the newest radio:

/sys/devices/system/soc/soc0/build_id

If it says VM670ZV4, which it should on a 2.2.1 phone, you don't have the latest radio.
On 2.2.2 phones, it should say VM670ZV5, which also means no new radio. Waiting to see if new OV's released after the security update will have the new radio. ;)

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Look for the following file, it should read VM670ZV9 if you have the newest radio:

/sys/devices/system/soc/soc0/build_id

If it says VM670ZV4, which it should on a 2.2.1 phone, you don't have the latest radio.
On 2.2.2 phones, it should say VM670ZV5, which also means no new radio. Waiting to see if new OV's released after the security update will have the new radio. ;)

Hello JerryScript,

A big thank you for your help on the OV! Will you update the 2nd post to show ways the security update is used?

arp734

May 17, 2011
Visit site

Im not sure how this "security update" has a "new radio". I've had more connectivity problems since the update than i ever did before. Like when i get a text my signal/reception drops all bars and the 3g icon disappears. After 30 seconds, almost exactly, everything gets restored. Which is problematic when im texting someone and i have to wait to use the Voice to Text, cuz there's no web access for it to work. Also when i'm downloading something web cuts off. I've tried various files to download from different websites and they ALL fail. Not exactly sure what makes this a better radio. Just because it's brought up to date doesn't make it better. Wish i knew linux so i could install the right linux os onto my computer. Couple more days and this phone will be sold or go in the trash where it belongs.

Reactions: rebel69ization

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Im not sure how this "security update" has a "new radio". I've had more connectivity problems since the update than i ever did before. Like when i get a text my signal/reception drops all bars and the 3g icon disappears. After 30 seconds, almost exactly, everything gets restored. Which is problematic when im texting someone and i have to wait to use the Voice to Text, cuz there's no web access for it to work. Also when i'm downloading something web cuts off. I've tried various files to download from different websites and they ALL fail. Not exactly sure what makes this a better radio. Just because it's brought up to date doesn't make it better. Wish i knew linux so i could install the right linux os onto my computer. Couple more days and this phone will be sold or go in the trash where it belongs.

It does have a new radio.img that much is fact it's still up in the air if it actually helps... It seams to help some while others don't see a change or have reboot issues. I did don't really see much if any change

sameoleground

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

I had to send in for a replacement phone after the update. The phone pretty much stopped working. Have to pull the battery 5 to 6 times a day. The response from VM "Pull the battery and wait 30 seconds and see if it is fixed" Hoping the new one won't have the update. First thing I am going to do is root it. My GF wouldn't let me as it was still under warranty, but after the update she is begging me to "fix" her phone.