[ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jcase!!

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jca

First of all you sound like an arrogant nitwit. Insulting the OP who does this out of his spare time won't help your case at all.
/boggle
pot_calling_the_kettle_black_hat-p148432363875442751z8nb8_400.jpg

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I've spent a week with 2 OV phones now in multiple low-reception areas...one on ZV4 and one on ZV9 in side-by-side comparisons. Didn't make any difference at all in call quality or reception (both in actual use and looking at dBm). If I just looked at dBm at first glance and made my conclusion from there, I would've said ZV9 provided 3dBm better reception. But watching it over time, it would even out and go the other way as well within minutes.

I'm sure there's a lot of subjectivity going on (like when people claimed improvements before it was figured out that the radio-only update didn't actually do anything), but perhaps you need to be connected to a certain brand/type of tower for there to be an improvement.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
@arp: It's hard to believe that you're really serious and not just trolling. If you cared to check more threads on this forum, I think you'd be awestruck by just how many helpful answers the target of you attack is posting almost daily - often in response to trivial, repeat questions from non-technical users like yourself.

But I guess frustration can make us all do stupid things.

Since you don't post details of your problem, I cannot help you there - as others already said.

I can tell you, though, that the steps posted by Jerry and jcase DO work perfectly. I ran the VMU update, not once, but FOUR times (I am testing some problems). Each time I rooted by simply copy-pasting the commands in the OP. The first time, there was a tiny mistake in one of the commands (adb missing), but Jerry promptly fixed that.

You ask if somebody found a better method for the technically challenged: well, a week ago (at least), brotherswing posted a separate thread with that exact title - using jcase & Jerry's steps, but packing them in an EVEN simpler form. I don't know how you could've missed that. It's in this same forum.

Good luck to you. With your phone as well as your social interaction in your life.

dennyc23

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

I was able to root my OV using this root with no problems whatsoever. However, after a few days the play store is now telling me that super user has an update available. I'm wondering if i update super user am i going to run into any problems or should i be ok? Has this happened to anyone else?

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I was able to root my OV using this root with no problems whatsoever. However, after a few days the play store is now telling me that super user has an update available. I'm wondering if i update super user am i going to run into any problems or should i be ok? Has this happened to anyone else?

I usually update su from su itself, and sometimes the Play Store tells me that there's an update when there isn't really one at all.

This space intentionally left blank.

Reactions: dennyc23

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I've spent a week with 2 OV phones now in multiple low-reception areas...one on ZV4 and one on ZV9 in side-by-side comparisons. Didn't make any difference at all in call quality or reception (both in actual use and looking at dBm). If I just looked at dBm at first glance and made my conclusion from there, I would've said ZV9 provided 3dBm better reception. But watching it over time, it would even out and go the other way as well within minutes.

I'm sure there's a lot of subjectivity going on (like when people claimed improvements before it was figured out that the radio-only update didn't actually do anything), but perhaps you need to be connected to a certain brand/type of tower for there to be an improvement.

Thank you for this.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I used this method with no issues except for it failed the first time but that was my fault for typing a command wrong. If you read and enter commands exactly like in the op it works great. Used it 2 additional times on 2 other OV's with no issues. Thanks Jerry and jcase

Reactions: JerryScript

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I love how anytime someone is a douche we all gang up and rip them to shreds :p
I choose to believe that frustration simply got the better of him. That's no excuse - he could've just smashed his phone to smithereens like any normal person :D But I've done stupid things when I was about to explode in frustration over something.

Last edited:

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I usually update su from su itself, and sometimes the Play Store tells me that there's an update when there isn't really one at all.

This space intentionally left blank.

The SU in IHO roms aren't updated to the latest.

The thing is, if something's not broken, there no need in fixing it :p

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Reactions: dennyc23

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I choose to believe that frustration simply got the better of him. That's no excuse - he could've just smashed his phone to smithereens like any normal person :D But I've done stupid things when I was about to explode in frustration over something.

+1 i agree

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

glarepate

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

The SU in IHO roms aren't updated to the latest.

The thing is, if something's not broken, there no need in fixing it :p

The alternate thing is, if you do something that exposes the breakage then you may wish that it had been pre-repaired.

Jes' sayin' ...

Reactions: CuriousNoob

rebel69ization

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I did the update, rerooted, restored my backup, and everything seems fine. The question I have is why doesn't the new radio version show up anywhere? Is it because im running a custom rom?

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
@Jerry, Do you think there will be a way to remove the radio.img in the future? Or a way to stop it from not letting me overclock past 600?

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

Help, a n00b (me) needs help. I keep getting stuck at the In -s permissions step. I've done a factory reset a couple of times, but it has not fixed the problem. Code from my terminal follows below. I used adb. Thanks a bunch to this awesome community!

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push flash_image /data/local/flash_ima
ge
1107 KB/s (9640 bytes in 0.008s)

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push VM670NH_recovery.img /data/local/
VM670NH_recovery.img
2941 KB/s (4200448 bytes in 1.394s)

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push jcase_rootme.zip /sdcard/jcase_ro
otme.zip
4113 KB/s (640406 bytes in 0.152s)

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/flash_imag
e

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell rm /data/amit/*

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell In -s /dev/mtd/mtd2 /data/amit/A
MI304_Config.ini
In: permission denied

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>