[ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jcase!!

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
[INFO]
Great news everyone!
An incredible developer at xda, handle = jcase, has helped me to root the security udpate from Virgin Mobile!​
[/INFO][WARN]
As always, this will void your warranty!

Even though we have tested this on several phones, this could brick your phone, anything is possible!

Do NOT use the Touch recovery, CWM-Green, or Multi-ROM recovery, they WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE when installing this.
[/WARN][NOTE]
This exploit is designed for the March 2012 Virgin Mobile Security Update.
It may work on other phones or firmware versions, but this has not been confirmed.

I had two corrupt downloads/transfers of the Security Update, both were transfered via USB mass storage.
I switched to using adb push update.zip /sdcard/update.zip and finally got a good tranfer.

We had to do a factory reset with the new update installed the first time we attempted this exploit, ymmv.​
[/NOTE][TIP]
The following instructions are for those who have already flashed
the Virgin Mobile Security Update March 2012

See the second post for other ways to make use of this update package (radio, kernel, restore to stock, etc)​
[/TIP]

1) Preparation:

-- Copy the entire contents of your sdcard to your PC or dropbox etc, or you could lose it all!
-- Be sure your phone is charged over 50%
-- Under settings, be sure USB Debugging is enabled
-- Check firmware version on your phone under Settings>>About phone, it should show VM670ZV9
-- Run any app that uses the accelerometer, this is to initialize the config files

-- Check to be sure your PC is set up for adb and has the LG Optimus V USB drivers installed
---- Please read the stickies for instructions on setting up adb and installing the USB drivers

-- Download the following files:
---- flash_image binary
md5sum 16559f2c27d08ff1ddfcaca05fbf10fb
---- BobZhome recovery VM670NH_recovery.img
md5sum 4196aac89f95ee7b468c53b5ffacf9db
---- jcase's modified SuperUser zip package
md5sum 5321eb31301ff30e67d3bc6b661ef03f

2) Transfer Files To Phone:

-- Use adb to push (transfer) the downloaded files to your phone
---- note - it is easiest to place the files in the same folder that adb.exe is located in!
Code:
cd FILE_PATH_TO_ADB_DIRECTORY_HERE
adb push flash_image /data/local/flash_image
adb push VM670NH_recovery.img /data/local/VM670NH_recovery.img
adb push jcase_rootme.zip /sdcard/jcase_rootme.zip

3) Perform Exploit:

-- Type the following commands
---- note - if you get errors, please post them,
---- you may need to do a factory reset, and then redo the phone prep
Code:
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/flash_image
adb shell rm /data/amit/*
adb shell ln -s /dev/mtd/mtd2 /data/amit/AMI304_Config.ini
adb shell ln -s /dev/mtd/mtd2 /data/amit/AMI304_Config2.ini
adb reboot
-- Wait for your phone to reboot, the magick is working
-- Once fully rebooted, type the following commands
Code:
adb shell rm /data/amit/*
adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery /data/local/VM670NH_recovery.img
adb reboot recovery

Note- If you have permission or other errors during step 3, do a factory reset, then try again.

4) Install SuperUser and Prevent Recovery Re-Write

-- Once you have rebooted into recovery, you should be in CWM based Recovery v4.0.1.5
---- If you see anything else, STOP and please report the version you see at the top or bottom
-- Select Install zip from sdcard
-- Select Choose zip from sdcard
-- Select the jcase_rootme.zip
-- Select Yes - Install jcase_rootme.zip
-- Return to main menu (press back button)
-- Select Reboot Now

5) Test Root Capability

-- In your app draw, open SuperUser, it should open without errors
-- Install Terminal emulator from the market
-- Open Terminal and type in su
---- If SuperUser asks for permission, and/or you get a # prompt, congratulations you are rooted!
---- If you get permission denied, something went wrong, please post here

6) Thank jcase for his hard work developing this exploit!
-- He has named the exploit GorditaRoot, and the original thread is locate here
-- Please consider donating some small amount to help continue jcase's development work on Android!

If you have any errors along the way, please post them here, or to jcase's original thread.

[INFO]
All thanks should be directed to jcase, the developer of GorditaRoot,
and the man who gave his time to help root a phone he doesn't even own!!!

I will be making a one-click solution for this over the next few days,
and I will put intructions in the second post when ready.​
[/INFO]

To everyone who helped by offering their phone, time, and knowledge, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! ;)

Take that VIrgin!

Last edited:

inmenzo27

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jca

This is great news Jerry thanks to you, jcase and for other ppl who helped out!!! im excited to root my phone again :D

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Wohoooo!!! Jcase is awesome, I just rooted my cousins ZTE Avail because he discovered that all you have to do is type in a phone number.

Sent via the Postal Service

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Dev must be short for devoted, because the community behind this phone is simply amazing. What has it been, like a week since the update came out? Thanks JerryScript and Jcase!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Very cool! This is really great news considering new phones will probably have the update already

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Instructions are up for manually rooting the security update!

I will be making this into a one-click solution over the next few days, and I will post details in the second post in this thread when it's ready. ;)

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

worked like a charm jerry but in step 3 when it says reboot recovery it should be adb reboot recovery if not it will say not recognized internally or externally just thought you should know

Reactions: JerryScript

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

worked like a charm jerry but in step 3 when it says reboot recovery it should be adb reboot recovery if not it will say not recognized internally or externally just thought you should know

Thanks for catching that! Updated OP to correct.

BTW- it actually should be adb shell reboot recovery ;)

Last edited:

robkee04

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site

This is awesome,im new to the whole root/rom deal, I was able to root my V then installed inferior humans cm7 mod, loved it, removed all bloatware, had 50 apps installed to sd with 128mb internal, phone just worked better.....Then i installed update without even considering that it might lose root.

Im waiting for the one click solution, the manual looks a bit over my pay grade at the moment.

Thanks to all those who took the time to make my phone what it should have been from the start!

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
If were on a custom rom, and etc, is there a need to do this? I want to, but what is the effect? :p

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

clodfelterac

Samurai Dev
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

@ curiousnoob--- not unless you unrooted... no sense in rerooting an already rooted device... makes sense to me... :)

Reactions: CuriousNoob

MeniscusKing

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

I thought I may not be the only one having difficulties rooting my phone but alas I have not seen anyone else have the problem I am experiencing.

Let me preface this by saying that I am new to using ADB but I am experienced in using terminal commands. I have rooted phones before but only through one-click methods.

So I understood that you had to have the SW Version VM670ZV9, USB Debugging enabled, and an app that utilizes the accelerometer running. I also have installed ADB onto my Windows PC and have successfully been able to "push" the necessary files onto my phone and SD card. However when I get to step 3 I am stumped. I run all five of the commands including the shell reboot but when I try to, it gives me an "operation not permitted" message. That is only on the reboot command that I get this message.

I have tried resetting my phone multiple times through the bootloader/recovery menu but this has not changed anything. Is there something that I am missing? I will definitely appreciate it if someone is able to help me! :) Also thanks to the developers who took their time to make this exploit!

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

If were on a custom rom, and etc, is there a need to do this? I want to, but what is the effect? :p
There is three parts to your phone.

Radio
Recovery
Rom (I put kernel in with it)

You already have a good recovery, you have a good rom, you already did the radio update...
Sooo why do you want to put a stock rom on?

Reactions: CuriousNoob

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I thought I may not be the only one having difficulties rooting my phone but alas I have not seen anyone else have the problem I am experiencing.

Let me preface this by saying that I am new to using ADB but I am experienced in using terminal commands. I have rooted phones before but only through one-click methods.

So I understood that you had to have the SW Version VM670ZV9, USB Debugging enabled, and an app that utilizes the accelerometer running. I also have installed ADB onto my Windows PC and have successfully been able to "push" the necessary files onto my phone and SD card. However when I get to step 3 I am stumped. I run all five of the commands including the shell reboot but when I try to, it gives me an "operation not permitted" message. That is only on the reboot command that I get this message.

I have tried resetting my phone multiple times through the bootloader/recovery menu but this has not changed anything. Is there something that I am missing? I will definitely appreciate it if someone is able to help me! :) Also thanks to the developers who took their time to make this exploit!

I'm sorry for the confusion on that command, try these and let me know which works:

adb shell reboot recovery

adb reboot recovery

adb shell
reboot recovery

Regardless, all you need to do at that step is reboot into recovery. Since there is no option in the power menu on stock ROMs, you can just turn off the phone, then boot into recovery by holding the following keys down until the LG logo goes away: Down_Volume + Home + Power

Reactions: MeniscusKing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax