Overclocking Guide for the OV

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
All this information is great. We've actually gotten a few issues aired out here since yesterday, and that benefits everyone. I know I learned quite a bit from this discussion, and I hope that it prompts others to further investigate the mysteries that still remain.

It might be nice to pull in some of Dannemand's info from the IHO thread into the OP and get this thread stickied.

This space intentionally left blank.

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Unless you perform those test on each and every kernel, they are irrelevant to anyone not using the same kernel as you are. ;)

One kernel may be able to go down to 122, while perhaps the stock kernel couldn't? Zefie's original comments were made in the beginning of OV kernel development, so things could easily have changed.

Yes, the stock kernel had 122. The stock list is: 122800, 245760, 320000, 480000, 600000.

picasticks etc. added 729600, 748800, 768000, 787200, 806400, 825600, 844800, 864000.

See arch/arm/mach-msm/acpuclock.c around line 211, for the definition of pll0_960_pll1_245_pll2_1200. Note you ignore the entries with 0 as the first item.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Unless you perform those test on each and every kernel, they are irrelevant to anyone not using the same kernel as you are. ;)

One kernel may be able to go down to 122, while perhaps the stock kernel couldn't? Zefie's original comments were made in the beginning of OV kernel development, so things could easily have changed.

Jerry, I think you were responding to my post just before yours, but I am not quite sure what specifically you are referring to. I was merely adding some info about governors and recommended use of CPU Spy to help guide one's OC settings.

It's true, everything I have posted on the subject has been in the context of IHO and the kernels you guys have used the last 6-7 months. Studies of CPU settings and governors were one of the first things I did when I came to IHO in Sep-Oct last year because I have a lot of experience in that field.

I don't know how many of the old kernels are still being used. I always see you and others recommend leaving the old ROMs behind because they are unsupported, and I think it is reasonable to post test results and findings based on IHO without long disclaimers.

If you disagree with anything I've posted, please let me know. You are one of my absolute heroes here (I've said as much several times) and I certainly don't want to step on your toes in any way.

Reactions: flapjack.fiasco

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I would like to point out that that there is hardly anything that I've observed or written (here or in the IHO thread) that contradicts with what I've seen LeslieAnn say (other than the existence of 122, which is not significant in itself, and probably just due to newer kernels since Zefie's days). On the contrary, ever since I started following this forum a year ago, I've found LeslieAnn's writings on the subject to be islands of fact and reason in a sea of noise. Having built overclocked PCs myself for almost 20 years, I recognize that.

This thread is an excellent contribution in that LeslieAnn lays out a process for determining the right OC settings ? process being the key word here.

There are a lot of myths in the area of over/underclocking, partly due to lack of understanding, which leads to this pursuit of "the one perfect setting". There is no such thing, both because each phone's hardware is different, but also because we all use our phones in different ways.

So ideally, people need to go through this process to determine the right settings for them.

The classic recommendation of Min=480, Max=two notches down from stable is a great starting point; or a great default for those who (understandably) don't want to go through this process -- although it still requires some work to determine Max. There is nothing wrong with simply sticking to that. But that doesn?t make it ?the best setting?. It?s simply the best starting point ? and not a bad place to be if that?s where you end up staying.

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
How do you define "very good" deep sleep. I mean, I wasn't aware that there were varying degrees of doing nothing.

This space intentionally left blank.

What I mean is that the processor goes into deep the Voltage pulses from 0 - 1.2v. with a timing interval of 2,000m/sec. The reason for pulsing the voltage then what is required for running @ 320Mhz is so the phone wakes up.

Now software can override the deep sleep mode, and the processor will only go into deep sleep when the scaled speed drops to *245MHz or lower below min. for 6000:1m/sec.

Note: I have mine set on InteractiveX 600/844 (for some reason IHO is more stable at max then stock is/or Harmonia 1.7) and see greater battery life then if set at the classic 480/your_setting. Conservative Governor on Stock is better at battery life then the other Governors, but is lacking when it comes to IHO.

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
@LeslieAnn when I posted that I had a issue of jerry's post not showing up so I copy pasted it in and forgot to edit out the second part. I meant to just quote the first sentence. I meant it as support to you. I agree with you 100%. Just adding things to help your OP be even more awesome.

@Dannemand I agree people are confused and mis-informed on a lot of this. I was also at one point but when blarf explained it the light bulb went off in my head. I was still confused on the governors tho but I knew what worked for me so I stuck with that.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It might be nice to pull in some of Dannemand's info from the IHO thread into the OP and get this thread stickied.

I plan to add more and correct some of it when I have time.

Just a note, many seem to think there is animosity among the people contradicting each other here, as far as I know there isn't. Just a few people having a frank discussion is all.

My thanks to all who are adding to this.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think I need to apologize, because I think I was being a bit hostile. I guess you could say that I was a little bit entrenched in establishment ideology. I've been used to getting dependable information on this subject from just a few people here, and a lot of misinformation everywhere else.

I think I gave both Dannemand and EarthnFire78 unjustified scrutiny, and for that I apologize.
In the end, we've all got a richer source of knowledge about the OV's processor, and that's a good thing. And personally, I've learned to assert my skepticism in a less demeaning way.

Thanks to everyone that contributed here, a lot of questions have been resolved, and hopefully a lot more of us will have more efficient OC settings because of it.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dannemand

Dave Begue

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I always feel like such a LOSER when I read about all the speedy overclocking governor action you guys get and use. Me - every time I even THINK about touching the CPU setting button I am moments away from an unscheduled reboot. I've tried several of the governors on 480 min and 729. Always reboots. Even if I only change the governor and make the minimum 480 leaving the pitifully slow max setting of 600 - I still get a reboot. Guess my phone is just slow....

MasterTec

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I always feel like such a LOSER when I read about all the speedy overclocking governor action you guys get and use. Me - every time I even THINK about touching the CPU setting button I am moments away from an unscheduled reboot. I've tried several of the governors on 480 min and 729. Always reboots. Even if I only change the governor and make the minimum 480 leaving the pitifully slow max setting of 600 - I still get a reboot. Guess my phone is just slow....

I'm in the same boat. At 600 my phone is rock solid but if I push it even one notch faster I get random force closures and reboots. It's just not fair!!!

But I can't complain.. even at 600 it's a very snappy piece of hardware!

WakeUpC22

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I actually had the same problems with the overclocking and restarting when the governer was set to ondemand. Read up on the overclocking suggested settings on leslie and now have a rock stable 825 setting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad