Even more OV madness!

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys! I've had an OV going on 4 months now, but just recently did I discover the AC community, and I LOVE it here! The quality and skill of the ROMS, Harmonica, people like LeslieAnn, Asadullah, and others input is awesome! I'm sorry if I'm brownosing :)

So my question to the general community is this: I've looked into upgrading to a Motorola Triumph, but after reading some threads here, I decided to stick to my trusty OV for the moment. Why? Simply that the OV is on multiple carriers, esp VM AND Sprint, and that is why I'm thinking it has such great community support. The MT is only on VM. So I will wait for the "next" big Android phone that goes on multiple carriers and has a low price. What can I say I like being one in a crowd.

My question is this (sorry, didn't ask it in my last paragraph lol): I'm planning on sticking to the OV. Currently I have the newer Z5 with a Hitachi screen. Since I am OCD about details and versions, would it be worth it to buy the older model Z4 that has the Novatek screen? I've heard that screen performs better in terms of ROMs and battery life. I wouldn't mind buying the 1st gen OV off Ebay and selling my current one, because I am somewhat tech geek. But I just wanted the feedback of the community on the differences between the 2.

A big thank you!

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi there happy easter And welcome to the community.
I, myself, see no need in going with the older version screen I.e. , another 0V.
there are so many different ROMS to.choose from, but if your concerned with the battery life issue... I'd go with a barebones harmonia2.
There's actually an app from the market that i use called easy battery saver

bjzapp

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
It seems to work well for me and you know it so hard to say as far as a big improvement on life depending on what you're using it 4 and what is running but doesn't hurt. you can also customize it so to speak with different settings

bjzapp

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
In conclusion to give you some more ideas.... most of these ROMs have features built in for specific battery settings,controls,brightness, so on and so forth.
Good luck in your research and flash ;)

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi bjzapp,

Thank you for your help and recommendations. I think I will go with Harmonia 2 as you mentioned. So thanks, this helps with the ROM.

As far as hardware goes, does anybody know personally the differences in the ZV5 and Hitachi screen vs ZV4 and Novatek screen? Bigsupersquid over at AF says the ZV4 baseband works with Fastboot. This is from what I've read so far, still searching! :)

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the fold! My old man & I each have OV's, a Novatech and a Hitachi. Both run Backside IHO 7.2 and love it. The novatech accepts changes easier, maybe cause of the more "basic" firmware? The Hitachi does have a better screen and a updated antenna. They both react to rom updates differently so I back them up carefully. Run your Hitachi with a smile..it's a solid phone. And if you get your hands on a novatech...keep it stashed just in case. If you decide to move up to the MT and get rid of the OV...let us know and I call "dibs" now!

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the fold! My old man & I each have OV's, a Novatech and a Hitachi. Both run Backside IHO 7.2 and love it. The novatech accepts changes easier, maybe cause of the more "basic" firmware? The Hitachi does have a better screen and a updated antenna. They both react to rom updates differently so I back them up carefully. Run your Hitachi with a smile..it's a solid phone. And if you get your hands on a novatech...keep it stashed just in case. If you decide to move up to the MT and get rid of the OV...let us know and I call "dibs" now!

Hi Crickie!

Thank you for your answer. So, sounds like OVs run in the family, eh? Nice! :)

Ok, so you like the Hitachi screen better. That's cool.

I'm thinking about switching to the MT, but right now, the price is too high for me. But in the meantime, I have my trusty OV. I really have no complaints, except wanting just one more inch on the diagnol! That would be very nice :)