[Guide] How to flash the ZV9 update, for the technically challeng

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Good! I might re-do the process myself, I've been averaging about one reboot a week since I did this and while it is infrequent, I'd rather not have any reboots at all!

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2

havosoki

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Guide] How to flash the ZV9 update, for the technically chal

13) Reboot into recovery.
14) Go to Backup and Restore, choose Restore. Pick your latest backup.
15) Reboot. Done!

At these steps should this be Android System Recover (3e)?
It seems to only reference an update.zip and you cannot choose your own as the Tips/notes seem to suggest?
Do I need to use Flash GUI again to load Bobzhome's recovery?

I am all the way done through step 12) all worked well and running ZV9, and now I want do one of the following, but the recovery mode (Showing as Android Recovery System 3e) looked different, so wanted to double check:
If you want the stock rom with root access, skip step 14. Instead, choose install zip from sd card, and flash jcase's modified SuperUser zip package. Reboot. Done!
If you want a clean start (like I did) skip step 14. Instead, choose install zip from sd card, and flash your favorite rom (and gapps if necessary.) Reboot. Done!

So I am no longer seeing a install zip from sd card option in the Android Recovery System.... not sure how the Bobzhome recovery version disappeared, unless it should during this process.

So should I root the phone at this point again? I can't seem to with GingerBreak any more

Last edited:

havosoki

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

Hope someone can provide some incite on my roadblock. Just being extra cautious.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Re run the Gordita file, you don't have the correct recovery. Gingerbreak won't work after this update, that's part of what Gordita does for you. Did you get any error messages?

havosoki

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

Re run the Gordita file, you don't have the correct recovery. Gingerbreak won't work after this update, that's part of what Gordita does for you. Did you get any error messages?

Excellent thanks brotherswing, doing that step again did the trick. Did it line by line to double check.
Thanks!

The sleep 10 command does result in a unrecognized command....

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
The sleep 10 command does result in a unrecognized command....

Sleep is not a standard windows batch command - though lots of people have sleep.exe files installed separately. I never checked if it was added in vista or win7, but I'm 99% sure it wasn't in xp, even with command extensions enabled.

Edit: @brotherswing: you could add a sleep.exe to your zip (just downloaded it and didn't see one). Or maybe just a pause command instead and have the user hit enter. I know... but they never awarded Oscars for the most elegant windows/DOS batch file anyway :D

Edit2: Another comment on the guide (now that I got to read it more carefully ;-) Regarding the need to pull battery on the first boot (mentioned in step 5), I believe you can avoid that by factory wiping (in recovery, of couse) before the first run of update.zip.

Last edited:

havosoki

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

Sleep is not a standard windows batch command - though lots of people have sleep.exe files installed separately. I never checked if it was added in vista or win7, but I'm 99% sure it wasn't in xp, even with command extensions enabled.

Edit: @brotherswing: you could add a sleep.exe to your zip (just downloaded it and didn't see one). Or maybe just a pause command instead and have the user hit enter. I know... but they never awarded Oscars for the most elegant windows/DOS batch file anyway :D

Ok this is strange, I spoke to soon.
I rebooted once and entered Recovery just found, but restarted once more and now I am back to the old Recovery 3e.

Any thoughts?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
If you don't flash jcase rooted.Zip the stock rom will automatically flash stock recovery back to the phone

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Ok this is strange, I spoke to soon. I rebooted once and entered Recovery just found, but restarted once more and now I am back to the old Recovery 3e.

I am sorry, I should have been clearer: My response was really for brotherswing regarding the use of Sleep in his BAT file. I quoted you because your post alerted me to the fact that there even was a sleep command.

I saw what thewraith wrote -- I didn't realize that the new stock ROM will flash stock recovery again, thus overwriting your custom recovery. That would explain your problem: First time you're booted into Bobzhome recovery, the root you have is only temporary, and you MUST either (1) flash "jcase rootme.zip" (to maintain stock root) OR (2) flash your favorite custom ROM (for a fresh install) OR (3) restore a nandroid.

Start from Stage 2 of brotherswing's guide and follow it to the dot -- and you should be good.

MarkD426

May 12, 2011
Visit site

Anyone looking for this update it is here. You may want to use it in OP.
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/

Scroll down to resources, Click on " ? Software Update (VM670ZV9) "
I believe they disabled direct linking to increase traffic on their website.

Followed guide and worked fine. Gordita.bat ran while I rebooted the phone and installed just before the start up screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: brotherswing

MarkD426

May 12, 2011
Visit site

LOL, what do you think Virgin Mobile is trying to tell us? ;)

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Yeah, but buying a new phone doesn't help with their spotty service. The update didn't really help that much with signal or 3G speeds. My work is about 3 miles from the city center and I go from full bars to barely even 1 bar at work.... Even tried Boost with the same results. I doubt buying a $250 phone will change that.

rebel69ization

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

who has a good download link for this? i cant find it anywhere, i keep getting redirected to the triumph????????

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I re-tested all of my links today, they all worked from my Win7 laptop using Firefox. It's probably the way your browser is handling the download redirect.

MarkD426

May 12, 2011
Visit site

who has a good download link for this? i cant find it anywhere, i keep getting redirected to the triumph????????

:facepalm: It's literally 3 posts above yours.

I re-tested all of my links today, they all worked from my Win7 laptop using Firefox. It's probably the way your browser is handling the download redirect.

I've tried with both my Win7 x64 Desktop and Win7 x84 Laptop, both using most up to date Firefox, and I also tried IE with the same issue.