Compiling/Recompiling and destroying boot.img

WakeUpC22

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Note that I am obviously very new to this although I have spent countless hours reading, trying, scripting, and reading some more. To the point I am getting very very frustrated.

I've read the unpacking, editing and rebuilding the boot.img guide at least several dozen times. Obviously to no avail all in hopes of getting a spiffy custom boot animation (no, not bootanimation.zip, but the one located in boot.img)

So in short I'm wondering if anyone here has been able to get a custom boot animation like IHO using either IHO or the stock rom without turning their computer into an android development hub... (a bit too late for me I suppose, i'm halfway there)

For the sake of decompiling via cygwin and on windows 7 64 bit, I've temporarily bricked my phone with botched boot.img , rebuilt countless binaries of boot.img, checked them out in hex, and concluded it can't be done with the methods listed using my current programs. Again, I'm sure if I partitioned for Ubuntu or vmwared for linux things would be great. But all I want to do is place a few rle images and call it a day.

I feel as if I'm overlooking something much easier... that said I remember picasticks saying that she/he was looking at execution on the phone itself requiring the ARM platform.

Again I am a complete noob to ARM and frankly all I know is it's either for development or used as a somewhat essential body part. So again I sense that this would be a gargantuan undertaking.

Am I wrong?

I hope I am....

Thanks for any help in advance.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I have done what you want to accomplish:)
I'm using cygwin with the dixda kitchen tool. What you need to do is find the zip of the rom you are using, and build a working folder from it in the kitchen (you can ignore all warnings about scripts). Then you will have basically an unzipped rom in the home directory of the kitchen. Then theres an option to extract the boot img. You then.do that and it extracts to BOOT-EXTRACTED in the kitchen folder. Then go into the extracted folder and replace the rles with whatever the heck you wish. MAKE sure you have properly made your rles (I believe EarthnFire78 has a friendly batch file around here some where just for such conversions. Then use the kitchen to recompile it. Works like a charm for me. Did that make any sense?

Edit: I am happily running windows 7. No linux.

Reactions: WakeUpC22

WakeUpC22

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
That's the ONLY thing I haven't done! I was hmming andhawwing over it and decided not to do it!

I'll try it out and you make perfect sense!

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes I think you could do this on the phone, but it would require someone building the unpack and repack tools for you.

The biggest struggle is likely to be finding a way to get images into .rle format.

Really though it's much more comfy to work on a PC. You just need to hunt down the right tools. I'm assuming they are available, most everything is available for windows... even unix tools. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital