Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default OS?

    I've read in multiple places that after installing a custom ROM (Which I did) never run the factory reset.

    All's well.

    However I'm returning the phone to the store so I went into my recovery and restored the backup I made earlier, so now my main OS is how it was before I installed IHO. Since I did that can I run the original factory reset to clear all of my personal data and what not before I give it back to the store?

    Also I will probably look this up, but since I'm making a thread I figured I would ask this while I'm here. Is there a link to the default recovery page the LG Optimus v (2.2.2) came with so I can go ahead and re-install the factory recovery page instead of the touch recovery I added?

    Edit:
    It's still rooted since when I did the backup via the custom touch recovery I already rooted the phone, so I'll undo that first and then check back on this thread. Also going to try clearing data via custom recovery to see if I can bypass this altogether.

    (Still would like to know if I can revert back to original recovery and how.
  2. #2  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    If you are rooted and have a custom recovery, you CANNOT use the factory reset.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  3. #3  
    LeoLawliet's Avatar

    Posts
    713 Posts
    ROM
    CM7.2/MiRaGe kernel

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spmoore93 View Post
    I've read in multiple places that after installing a custom ROM (Which I did) never run the factory reset.

    All's well.

    However I'm returning the phone to the store so I went into my recovery and restored the backup I made earlier, so now my main OS is how it was before I installed IHO. Since I did that can I run the original factory reset to clear all of my personal data and what not before I give it back to the store?

    Also I will probably look this up, but since I'm making a thread I figured I would ask this while I'm here. Is there a link to the default recovery page the LG Optimus v (2.2.2) came with so I can go ahead and re-install the factory recovery page instead of the touch recovery I added?

    Edit:
    It's still rooted since when I did the backup via the custom touch recovery I already rooted the phone, so I'll undo that first and then check back on this thread. Also going to try clearing data via custom recovery to see if I can bypass this altogether.

    (Still would like to know if I can revert back to original recovery and how.
    You should never factory reset from the OS as long as there's a custom recovery installed. I'm honestly not even sure it's safe, I never tried it.

    Sent from my LG-VM701 running Mobster Rom via Tapatalk
  4. #4  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    Just flash the VM update as a whole, that will return it to stock except your data, then you can factory reset.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    Just flash the VM update as a whole, that will return it to stock except your data, then you can factory reset.
    I'm not too sure what you mean.

    So far I went into my custom touch recovery and restored my pre-IHOROM backup. (Default OS that came with phone, but was rooted.)
    Then I went into the custom touch recovery again and did a wipe/factory reset which removed all of my apps.

    At this point I just want to re-install the original recovery and make sure the phone isn't rooted still. How do I do this? Simple steps or links would help me greatly! Thank you for responding by the way.

    Edit:
    Phone is still rooted. So back to my last question, how to un-root and re-install original recovery.

    Edit2:


    This was posted in one of the stickies however it says only with older phones, I have a 2.2.2 which is newer.
    Last edited by spmoore93; 04-16-2012 at 08:01 PM.
  6. #6  
    cole2kb's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,976 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    First step, NOT OPTIONAL: Flash either Bobzhome / IHO or Xionia recovery. Touch recovery will brick your phone with this process.

    <-- Go there, scroll down, on the right side you'll see a link for Software Update, click it and it will download "update.zip". Copy that to your SD card.

    Wipe all your data in recovery and flash the update.zip. Once completed, reboot the phone, it will boot up but then in a few seconds reboot again, no worries, this is normal. Let it do its thing.

    Once it boots, you'll be in stock Android. Turn off the phone, boot into recovery, wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache, and flash the update.zip AGAIN, this time you will notice you're running stock recovery.

    Bam, stock Android, not rooted or anything, with stock recovery, ready for return.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    Quote Originally Posted by cole2kb View Post
    First step, NOT OPTIONAL: Flash either Bobzhome / IHO or Xionia recovery. Touch recovery will brick your phone with this process.

    <-- Go there, scroll down, on the right side you'll see a link for Software Update, click it and it will download "update.zip". Copy that to your SD card.

    Wipe all your data in recovery and flash the update.zip. Once completed, reboot the phone, it will boot up but then in a few seconds reboot again, no worries, this is normal. Let it do its thing.

    Once it boots, you'll be in stock Android. Turn off the phone, boot into recovery, wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache, and flash the update.zip AGAIN, this time you will notice you're running stock recovery.

    Bam, stock Android, not rooted or anything, with stock recovery, ready for return.
    Could you throw me a link to Bobzhome please?
    And just to confirm, Bobzhome's recovery will work with the new screen as well correct?

    Edit: Nevermind :L

    Edit2: Thanks, everything worked. The stock recovery is there and the stock OS as well. Thanks a ton.

    Just to note, it did it's little "restart after a few seconds" thing during the second reset, cache wipe, update, reboot, not the first.
    Last edited by spmoore93; 04-16-2012 at 08:46 PM.
  8. #8  
    A-android-B's Avatar

    Posts
    415 Posts
    Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    ROM
    it changes so much

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    If you don't mind, could i ask you why you are returning it? found something you dont like or got a better deal somewhere else? You dont have to answer if you dont want to.
    beamed from the mothership...
    but its only a proxy for my
    lubuntu 12.04
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    The iho i downloaded keeps freezing my screen, i turn it on and the intro goes from virgin mobile to IHO, and just as the droid froyo is walking it says always backup before flashing. The robot opens its chest and flashes this message. Then frozen. Any ideas?

    My optimus v is a VM670, 2.2.1
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    and whats the point with the froyo strobing the light like a disco ball? do i wait for it to finish?
  11. #11  
    LeoLawliet's Avatar

    Posts
    713 Posts
    ROM
    CM7.2/MiRaGe kernel

    Default

    It's a boot animation. I would install a different IHO rom if I were you. I almost got a full brick from the latest BACKside and it almost happened to my friend's OV too. Completely borked my recovery and a bunch of other stuff.

    Sent from my LG-VM670 running IHO MiRaGe using Tapatalk
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    any recs? i kept reading this was the best one to use.
  13. #13  
    epicb0dyc0unt's Avatar

    Posts
    239 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 2.XX

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    Go back to stock if you are still having issues.
    Just your friendly neighborhood OpV tester. (:
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    well i had clockwork mod, when i Dl'd the IHo it was supposed to be a new rom.

    now i need to wipe it all and start again? ive had clockwork so long i forgot it HAD an original. How do i pull it up?

    edit: or is that not a part of rom manager? cause i use that.
    Last edited by ninjajp247; 05-06-2012 at 01:21 PM.
  15. #15  
    Conrail16's Avatar

    Posts
    118 Posts
    ROM
    Mirage

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    DON'T USE ROM MANAGER! Seriously, you're playing with fire; it isn't compatible with the OV.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    ok, well im just gonna restore my backup and then try again, gonna get rid of the backside IHO. its getting annoying now.

    I thought backside was highly recommended? how come it doesnt work then?

    Rom manager was the first and only rom program i have used. it was free, what can i say....
  17. #17  
    Conrail16's Avatar

    Posts
    118 Posts
    ROM
    Mirage

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    Did you download Backside from ROM Manager, or from the forums? The ones posted on ROM manager are outdated and are sometimes bugy.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    the forum.

    ive never downloaded any other roms with it. thought i had to pay for them.

    just been using gingerbread/Su/clockwork, it gave me extra space and a backup, all i used it for. didnt think changing the os was possible till recently. It should be easier than this...
    Last edited by ninjajp247; 05-06-2012 at 01:36 PM.
  19. #19  
    Eollie's Avatar

    Posts
    1,566 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninjajp247 View Post
    . didnt think changing the os was possible till recently. It should be easier than this...
    It cant get any easier that it all ready is.

    The problems you are having are user error I promise this.

    From recovery do a factory reset/data wipe, then wipe cache partition, select mounts and storage, format boot,cache,data,sd-ext,system. ONce that is done back out to main screen then reflash the rom. If you are still having issues then you have a bad download. Re-download the rom again and follow my instructions and flash the new download.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    did all of that actually, in that order. So lets not pretend its as easy as it sounds. When i did my research the IHO i Dl'd was supposed to be the ONE. No fuss no muss.

    so im moving on, been waiting for a new recommend on a rom 5 posts ago, no one has answered it.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    where is my comment?
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    wth?

    anyways, i did all of that already, what im looking for now is a rec for another rom i can use.

    Rom manager isnt approved, and IHO froze me.

    whats next? trying to install zivonia now or however its spelled.
  23. #23  
    epicb0dyc0unt's Avatar

    Posts
    239 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 2.XX

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninjajp247 View Post
    wth?

    anyways, i did all of that already, what im looking for now is a rec for another rom i can use.

    Rom manager isnt approved, and IHO froze me.

    whats next? trying to install zivonia now or however its spelled.
    I run thaunknownartist's ICSandwich AOSP ROM.
    It's 2.3.7 gingerbread themed to look like ICS and it's a pretty heavenly little piece of work.

    But just for the love all that is holy stay away from ROM manager lol
    Just your friendly neighborhood OpV tester. (:
    Thanked by:
  24. #24  
    Eollie's Avatar

    Posts
    1,566 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    Are you looking for a rom or recovery? Because it sounds like you are confusing them.

    It really is that easy if you have rooted and installed the proper recovery. I just did it on my backup Optimus V. Hell I installed the newest version of MGR's IHO and then flashed the new backside CWM recovery.

    Im know you are doing something wrong.
  25. #25  
    epicb0dyc0unt's Avatar

    Posts
    239 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 2.XX

    Default Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eollie View Post
    Are you looking for a rom or recovery? Because it sounds like you are confusing them.

    It really is that easy if you have rooted and installed the proper recovery. I just did it on my backup Optimus V. Hell I installed the newest version of MGR's IHO and then flashed the new backside CWM recovery.

    Im know you are doing something wrong.
    I have a feeling what you're saying is true and that he may now be trying to flash a recovery inside of a recovery with like no ROM as base and may end up bricking.
    Just your friendly neighborhood OpV tester. (:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B