I'm puzzled..

dfrandin

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Not quite two weeks ago I bought an LG Optimus V to replace a Samsung Intercept. After putting my head together with some very helpful people here, I got the phone rooted, and eventually got BACKside on it. All worked swimmingly up until today. I grabbed the phone to make a call and the dreaded "no service" came up.. Thinking maybe the Sprint tower I was sitting under might have gone down, I waited till I got home.. Still "no service".. Tried shutting down/removing battery, still no good. Checked wifi, it worked fine. The status bar "3G" and signal strength indicator did not show and the lock screen showed "no service".. So, having bought the phone on eBay and recieved it just under 14 days ago, I emailed the seller to take advantage of his 14 day refund or replacement policy. After applying the stock rom, and unrooting the phone, I noticed that the 3g and strength indicators were back, and guess what? the phone now works normally...
As I said the phone worked perfectly for over a week, and JUST now decided to go screwy on BACKside.

My question: Is it possible this actually is a hardware problem? ie: an intermittant radio?? If I go ahead and send the phone back the seller is gonna ask... Whats wrong with it? I need a phone that WORKS... In my
email to the seller I stated I'd prefer to get refunded so I can go buy a NEW Optimus V vs another used one..

Ideas?? anybody??

Thanks
Dave

dfrandin

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
yes, I did.. As I said, the phone had been working flawlessly for over a week. I hadn't done anything to it imeddiately prior to the loss of service. I powered-off/on and rebooted several times, prior to grabbing the stock rom and wiping all the caches and flashing stock back on it..

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Did you ever flash the new ZV9 radio?

Did you check to be sure you didn't turn off the phone's radio or put it into airplane mode accidentally? In other words, did you go through all the network settings?

I'm just guessing here, this is the first time anyone has reported something like this on any IHO based ROM.

dfrandin

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Well... I *don't* think the radio got turned off.. I had the power control on the desktop and it had the "airplane mode" selector enabled, and I looked at it while trying to figure out what was going on with the phone, and I'm pretty sure airplane mode was not engaged.. As for the radio, no, I didn't.. only rooted the phone, did an alternate recovery image, and then put the BACKside rom on... Is that updated radio a good idea too?? not sure how to apply that...

dfrandin

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
One thing.. I just put the phone into "airplane mode" in the stock rom... the 3G icon disappears and a little airplane icon appears in the signal strength icon... Since I never (knowingly) put the phone into airplane mode when I had the IHO rom installed, so I dont know what it looks like.. Does both the 3G and signal icons go away with an IHO rom in airplane mode?? if they do it is entirely possible thats what happened.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I seriously doubt you would set it in airplane mode without knowing it.... but you know what, I just tested and putting it onto airplane mode makes the icons go away and notification says No Service.

Wtf lol

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
You could have easily hit the airplane mode button without knowing it, but at this point, I'm still not sure.

I recently made changes to BACKside that allow you to hide/show the system icons in the status bar. There is a bug I forgot to fix with the airplane icon, so when you go into airplane mode, the icon doesn't show.
(note-I added the code for the airplane icon, but not the option, so it doesn't work right now)

dfrandin

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Based on your comments here, I'm betting thats exactly what happened.. Can you point me to a tutorial on how to apply the radio update you mentioned?? I'm gonna want this phone to work as well as it can... BTW: Since you appear to be the dev/or on the dev team for BACKside, lemme thank you profusely.. Its a fantastic replacement for the stock Froyo on this phone...

Thanks
Dave

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
You probably do not want to do the updat right now, because results have varied with those who have flashed it, it breaks root and the only way of rooting it has been complicated for some people, and there are problems with reboots with the new update. I think for now you may want to stay un-updated, unless you get terrible service and magically hope the radio update will change that. Thats my thoughts.

Also, yes jerry is the hardworking dev behind Backside, but another thing... not all the devs have the blue logo underneath their avatar, this community has many devs currently not recognized by the forum, you'll learn who they are, and see their roms :)

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey