Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tdm
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Most stable ROM for OV updated to ZV9?

I updated my friend's OV from ZV4 to ZV9 hoping to improve her reception as she's frequently in two weak signal areas. Turns out it didn't make any difference in reception at all, but now she has the bugs that come along with running IHO on ZV9.

Since she doesn't really care about ROMs and features and just wants a phone that works well for what she does (texting, e-mail, google maps/places/navigation) without the stock bloat, what's the most stable ROM I can put on her phone with ZV9? I assume something based on Froyo?

ROM
    Backside... MiRaGe

Default Re: Most stable ROM for OV updated to ZV9?

If you are looking for something in Froyo I would say either Harmonia 1.8 or Resurrected Bumblebee.

Harmonia 1.8

Ressurrected BumbleBee

ROM
    Harmonia 2.06

I'm using Harmonia 2.06, no reboots or problems since the ZV9, even over clocked at 806mhz (your results may vary)

Edit - I'm using bobzhome 2.6.32.9.v3.7 kernel
    Last edited by MarkD426; 04-27-2012 at 11:19 AM.

ROM
    cm9

To get a stable rom on zv9 you need a kernel compatible with it. The one in the update should be. Gingerkernel is (used in quattrimus). And i heard xioniaredux is (most optimus s kernels probably are)
    Wait a few days/weeks and one of the kernel devs will probably get it fixed.
    my roms & kernels (based on iho)

If you'd like to donate to me, i accept litecoin, bitcoin, and hardware
    LTC - LTVALL5gsjPvgeiBWD7c6DHNWidbpzVu3w
    BTC - 1TVALLetFibDe8Zap5qPsqa4BAJWQYQ59
    tdm

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    ROM
    Quattrimus

I don't have any personal experience with this, but I've been helping several others research the issue (Dannemand, cole2kb, etc.) The stability problems all seem to stem from the kernel.

We basically have two sets of kernel code floating around at the moment: code from the VM670 Froyo release, and code from the LS670 Gingerbread release. Various people have tweaked the code in various ways, but they all stem from these two sources. Kernels based on the VM670 Froyo code seem unstable, while kernels based on the LS670 Gingerbread code seem stable.

We may get a third set of code soon, as LG has been asked for the kernel code for the VM670 ZV9 update. I am guessing most of the kernel developers are waiting for this, so they don't need to update to the Gingerbread kernel. Updating sounds good on the surface -- and it's probably a good idea long term -- but the Froyo kernel has been proven super stable (except when used on a ZV9 radio) and stability is a pretty big factor in choosing a kernel.

In the meantime, if you want to make your ZV9 phone stable, you need to create a custom boot.img by marrying a Gingerbread based kernel with the initramfs from your ROM of choice. It's not hard but does require quite a bit of technical skill. I'm not in the business of whipping out boot images for all the available ROMs, but I did create one for testing here.
    Last edited by tdm; 04-24-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    cmerlyn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tvall View Post
    To get a stable rom on zv9 you need a kernel compatible with it. The one in the update should be. Gingerkernel is (used in quattrimus). And i heard xioniaredux is (most optimus s kernels probably are)
    Wait a few days/weeks and one of the kernel devs will probably get it fixed.
    I experienced my first reboot on xioniaredux last night. Better then the once an hour reboots though. >.<

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

Quote Originally Posted by tdm View Post
    I don't have any personal experience with this, but I've been helping several others research the issue (Dannemand, cole2kb, etc.) The stability problems all seem to stem from the kernel.

We basically have two sets of kernel code floating around at the moment: code from the VM670 Froyo release, and code from the LS670 Gingerbread release. Various people have tweaked the code in various ways, but they all stem from these two sources. Kernels based on the VM670 Froyo code seem unstable, while kernels based on the LS670 Gingerbread code seem stable.

We may get a third set of code soon, as LG has been asked for the kernel code for the VM670 ZV9 update. I am guessing most of the kernel developers are waiting for this, so they don't need to update to the Gingerbread kernel. Updating sounds good on the surface -- and it's probably a good idea long term -- but the Froyo kernel has been proven super stable (except when used on a ZV9 radio) and stability is a pretty big factor in choosing a kernel.

In the meantime, if you want to make your ZV9 phone stable, you need to create a custom boot.img by marrying a Gingerbread based kernel with the initramfs from your ROM of choice. It's not hard but does require quite a bit of technical skill. I'm not in the business of whipping out boot images for all the available ROMs, but I did create one for testing here.
    I can testify to exactly what tdm says: I installed his GingerKernel patch on my MiRaGe 04/03 build a week ago and have seen no reboots or SMS lags or other radio related issues since. My phones is as stable as ever (which means VERY stable).

There are two minor issues with GingerKernel on IHO:

1) Camera doesn't work (viewfinder all white): thewraith420 posted a fix by the thekraven that solves it. Find it here.

2) Screen wake-up can be lagging, you sometimes need to push the button several times. You can also hold down power which will eventually open the power menu -- though sometimes it'll blank the screen again when you release the power button. This can be annoying, but is far better than the radio issues and reboots.

Before that, I tested the new stock ZV9 (updated Froyo kernel) and quattrimus alpha 8 AOKP (also GingerKernel); they were both stable too -- although I didn't test them for as long as my current GingerKernel-MiRaGe 04/03 setup.

tdm has been on the ball throughout with this ZV9 issue and deserves a lot of credit for it!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Dannemand View Post
    I can testify to exactly what tdm says: I installed his GingerKernel patch on my MiRaGe 04/03 build a week ago and have seen no reboots or SMS lags or other radio related issues since. My phones is as stable as ever (which means VERY stable).

There are two minor issues with GingerKernel on IHO:

1) Camera doesn't work (viewfinder all white): thewraith420 posted a fix by the thekraven that solves it. Find it here.

2) Screen wake-up can be lagging, you sometimes need to push the button several times. You can also hold down power which will eventually open the power menu -- though sometimes it'll blank the screen again when you release the power button. This can be annoying, but is far better than the radio issues and reboots.

Before that, I tested the new stock ZV9 (updated Froyo kernel) and quattrimus alpha 8 AOKP (also GingerKernel); they were both stable too -- although I didn't test them for as long as my current GingerKernel-MiRaGe 04/03 setup.

tdm has been on the ball throughout with this ZV9 issue and deserves a lot of credit for it!
    About the screen waking up... I disabled the screen on and off animations, the rotation animations, and all other screen animations. After doing this, I can get the screen to wake up every time by holding the power button, the trick is to just hold it for 1/4 - 1/2 a second after it actually wakes up to make sure it doesn't go right back to sleep. Obviously YMMV, but it works for me.

ROM
    Cold As Ice /Hydro ICS

This is what I'm using, no problems whatsoever

Sent from my Hayabusa GSXR 1300 Twin Turbo

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

Quote Originally Posted by rebel69ization View Post
    This is what I'm using, no problems whatsoeverClick to view quoted image
    Yes I know, some people don't see the radio issues at all, or only with heavy testing or after awhile. I remember mrg666 didn't see it on any of his three phones and thought it was just bad flashes on those who did. Then after some heavy SMS testing he managed to reproduce it. (Kudos for persistance on his part!)

My feeling is that it is affected by a number of issues, including the phone's hardware (radio, CPU and memory all vary between phones), system settings and installed apps -- AND particularly local reception and tower locks. In mrg's case, I believe he has strong reception in his area, whereas I have poor reception here (and my radio is weak too). Maybe a tower re-connect (affected by the local tower and your phone's radio strength) happening just as you're doing a radio task (SMS, airplane mode, etc) is what triggers the reboots.

This is speculation on my part (too much of that lately, I know). But there is a reason why these things happen on some phones and not on others.

Edit: Come to think of it, it would be interesting to compare Time Without Signal of those who get these reboots and those who dont. I am often >50% after a day's use of my phone.

ROM
    Cold As Ice /Hydro ICS

Whether I'm one bar or full bars strength wise, I still dont get the reboots, fcs, etc from using my phone, must be lucky I guess

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

I eluded to the Optimus S problems when they got a radio update. But it wasnt every phone that was affected. Just like the screen maybe there is some various parts like radios and such that are slightly different.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel69ization View Post
    This is what I'm using, no problems whatsoeverClick to view quoted image

Look's like here you are using an older version of the kernel. Current version is 3.7 and it says 3.3 on your screenshot. Are you using an older build?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This has been working great for me and Dannemand, probably others:

Link to Mirage 4/03: http://www.mediafire.com/?e21hes8ik5qhg09

Quote Originally Posted by tdm View Post
    Sorry for the delay. Here's a zip with a new boot image and the kernel modules. Only use this with MiRaGe 04/03!

Instructions:

0. Make sure you have the original ROM available in case something goes wrong!
    1. Unzip on your PC
    2. Use adb to push the *.ko files to /system/lib/modules (extra credit: chmod 644 /syste/lib/modules/*.ko)
    3. Use adb to push boot-gk.img to /data/local
    4. Get a root shell and run "flash_image boot /data/local/boot-gk.img".
    5. Reboot

If anything goes wrong, restore the original files or re-flash the original ROM from recovery.

I also was having the reboot problem after updating to zv9.I now use stock with tvall kernel and my phone is now stable and overclocked to 806 /480 .before I could only go as high as 748 .