Bricked my LG Optimus V beyond repair?

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
More help - direct from a thread in which I made a huge ass of myself. :(. Ah well.

Cliffs:
Install SDK with ADB
Boot phone to recovery and connect to computer
Open ADB console
Run the commands...

Don't worry, you can recover your phone, it's just going to take some time and patience.

To get ADB working, check the stickies in this forum, they have step by step instructions. ADB is simply a means of using a command window to control your phone.

Once you have ADB installed, you will boot your phone into recovery, then hook it up to your computer. On your computer, (W7/XP) press your start button, then type in cmd and press enter. A command window should open up. Now look at where ADB was installed (usually the adb folder /platform-tools). You need to "cd" into that directory. So if it's C:\android-sdk\platform-tools, type in:
Code:
cd c:\android-sdk\platform-tools
adb shell
ADB should start up, then once it connects to your phone, you should see a different prompt. Now exit the shell by typing in exit and pressing return. You should now be back to the normal command prompt.

Download the flash_image binary, the xionia recovery img file, and the ROM zip file you want to use (and gapps in needed) and place them all on your sdcard by using the ADB push command:
(Note- only the ROM and gapps should be zip files, the flash_image binary has no extension, and xionia should be an img file)
Code:
adb push c:\PATH_TO_FILES\flash_image /sdcard/flash_image
adb push c:\PATH_TO_FILES\flash_image /sdcard/NAME_OF_XIONIA_RECOVERY.img
adb push c:\PATH_TO_FILES\flash_image /sdcard/NAME_OF_ROM.zip
adb push c:\PATH_TO_FILES\flash_image /sdcard/NAME_OF_GAPPS.zip

Now, type in adb remount. If this succeeds, you are still rooted, a good thing. If it fails, stop now and see note at end of post.

Now you will install the flash_image binary, and use it to flash the xionia recovery image to your phone, then reboot so it can fix the bootloop issue.
Code:
adb shell
mv /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 0777 0655 /system/bin/flash_image
flash_image recovery /sdcard/NAME_OF_XIONIA.img
exit

adb reboot recovery
Note- the last line is typed in the normal command window after exiting the ADB shell.
If you get errors at any step, it's probably due to not having root, post the errors so we can help.

Now, if everything worked, you'll be in xionia recovery. In here, you should wipe cache, then under advanced wipe dalvik-cache, then under mounts you should format boot, system, data, and cache.

Now go back to the main menu, and choose to install zip from sdcard. First install the ROM zip, then do the same steps to flash the gapps zip.

Now go back to the main menu, and reboot. Be patient, the first boot after doing all this may take a long time (rebuilding files). If the phone doesn't boot up after 10 full minutes, let us know.
[NOTE]If any of this fails, please use the forum's thread search feature. Click on one of the sticky threads, then near the top right, you'll see the link to search the thread. I recommend choosing show posts.

If you can't find the solution, let us know and we will attempt to help out.

The reason some people are being hostile is because all of this information has been posted over and over and over, and is included in the stickied threads. You may be new to these types of forums, and not be aware of the wealth of information available in most forum's stickied posts. Check them out, read them all the way through, and soon you'll be the one answering questions around here! ;)[/NOTE]

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

reelburner

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I'am making progress. Downloaded the new pre-packaged ADB installation, and heres where I'm at. I can now send commands to the phone through the new ADB.
Verified this by doing a reboot from the command prompt, and the phone rebooted.
Now I need to figure out how to perform a recovery this way. Do I need to unroot
my phone prior to the recovery? I'm sure there's a how to on youtube.
I feel this is a step in the right direction, but with the list of all the commands
while in ADB, I'm not sure what command to use to continue with the recovery from this point.
It gets a bit overwelming

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I'am making progress. Downloaded the new pre-packaged ADB installation, and heres where I'm at. I can now send commands to the phone through the new ADB.
Verified this by doing a reboot from the command prompt, and the phone rebooted.
Now I need to figure out how to perform a recovery this way. Do I need to unroot
I feel this is a step in the right direction, but with the list of all the commands
while in ADB, I'm not sure what command to use to continue with the recovery from this point.

Great! Glad your making progress. Im a sucker 4 nice folks in a tight spot so ill help u out some more.

Off the top of my head:

No, you dont need to unroot the phone. You need the Xionia recovery, and the flash_image BINARY file (not the GUI). You will use the command "ADB push" to move those files from your computer to your SD card, eg "ADB push c:/your/folder/xionia.img /mnt/sdcard". (may need to type ADB with caps off) Once the files are on, then you flash Xionia "ADB flash_image recovery /mnt/sdcard/xionia.img". Then when Xionia is on, you can push another ROM on and flash, should work at this point

*edit* this thread has links to xionia and the flash_image binary http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/168903-please-help.html

Last edited:

darthdrewsiff

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

I'm having the same problem, but I still can't get adb to see my phone. Installed the new pre-packaged adb sdk, followed the tut on setting environment variables, have all drivers installed and rebooted computer. Still no luck. HELP!!!!

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, but I still can't get adb to see my phone. Installed the new pre-packaged adb sdk, followed the tut on setting environment variables, have all drivers installed and rebooted computer. Still no luck. HELP!!!!

Can you give us what commands you are inputting in ADB, and what the output is? When you opened the ADB terminal, did you first type

adb shell
exit

Should connect you.

Try to stay calm, this can be fixed. :)

reelburner

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
More help - direct from a thread in which I made a huge ass of myself. :(. Ah well.

Cliffs:
Install SDK with ADB
Boot phone to recovery and connect to computer
Open ADB console
Run the commands...

I would like to use IHO Backside for my ROM Can I use this ROM
or do I need to select a alternative?
Is there a compatibility risk between the gapp and ROM?
Do I need to find gapp that works specifically with IHO?
I'm so sorry for all the questions, I'm so new at this, I had
no business digging into this until I was well versed in all aspects and
terminology.
I have all the files needed except the gapp. Still have the IHO zip.
In fact I copied the entire contents of the SD card to my laptop prior to rooting.

epicb0dyc0unt

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I would like to use IHO Backside for my ROM Can I use this ROM
or do I need to select a alternative?
Is there a compatibility risk between the gapp and ROM?
Do I need to find gapp that works specifically with IHO?
I'm so sorry for all the questions, I'm so new at this, I had
no business digging into this until I was well versed in all aspects and
terminology.
I have all the files needed except the gapp. Still have the IHO zip.
In fact I copied the entire contents of the SD card to my laptop prior to rooting.

I attached the gapps I have used with all my gingerbread ROMs (Which includes IHO)
Unless this is an older zip which I don't believe it is so.

reelburner

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I attached the gapps I have used with all my gingerbread ROMs (Which includes IHO)
Unless this is an older zip which I don't believe it is so.

Thank you so much.
I'm doing something wrong however(no surprise there).
The files are not being pushed to SD. Bad SD or Im incorrectly "pushing"
the files. I complete the process, and type adb remount. Says remount sucessful.
type adb shell, get the hashtag cursor and proceed to flash the img files.
Claims there is no directory or file. I am clearly entering something incorrectly.
Can using CAPS cause this to happen, I 'm copying the names exactly how I see them
ie: BACKside-IHO-VM670-04172012.zip is how I'm typing this in
gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip is how this is typed in.
flash_image.img for this
xionia_cwma_12518.4_virgin.img for this

I'am following the list, starting with the flash image, and on down the list.

jodokastlwc

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
EDIT: I lied! I used what Droidmyme said here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/168903-please-help-2.html#post1722431
Post #30 by JerryScript. Sorry!

You have the files on the SD card already?

I used this to fix my bootloop issue: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...covery-xionia-clockwork-cwma-v1-2518-6-a.html

See "How to Instal" there.

Also, when I was running the commands in windows one of them wouldn't work, so I kept going and it all turned out OK... but that was me and I don't know enough about ADB to say you should do that... but when I used ADB to get that recovery, I just had to type all the commands even though it said it wasn't working :)

Last edited:

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Go back and reread JerryScripts post that I pasted a few posts up. It basically walks you through the correct sequence. Jerry is one of the premiere devs, the stuff he posts is golden.

Tips:

Reread Jerrys post that I pasted.
Make sure you are entering commands from the correct directory. Are you in the /platform-tools directory?
First you boot into recovery, then plug your phone in, then type adb shell, then when connected, you type exit to exit the special prompt and return to the normal prompt. Enter the commands from the normal prompt.

Rename all your files to a.img, b.bin, c.zip, etc, ie one letter followed by the correct file extension. By renaming the files it will speed up things alot. Also, in the command prompt, pressing the up arrow will scroll through commands u typed for even faster results.

After you adb push the files to SD, THEN you run adb remount secondn Also note that even after the files are on the SD card, they must be installed. Again, Jerrys post explains this.

Good luck!

reelburner

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I have tried and tried and now I give up.
Entered everything as I saw it shown to the letter.
I get remount failed: Unknown error: 0

This is the message I get when I type "adb devices"
c:\SDK\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
A00000312250FD recovery

c:\SDK\platform-tools>

I've noticed that after I type in the path, for example: adb push c:\flash_image/sdcard/flash_image,( where C is the root drive of my laptop and is where all 4 files are kept), it scrolls the entire list of commands, every time I enter the completed line. Is this normal? And does any of this help or bfings me that much closer.
NOTE: If this is important, I copied all the files from my SD to laptop prior, including backups.
Can I just copy the 4 recovery files to the SD via the laptop and run them from adb shell?. I can only do this if the SD card is my media card slot.

Yeah, so I just don't have the saavy. I sure I can find someone local who
can do this for me for a price. Maybe learn something.

I'm sooo new at this it reaks. so how do I got about thanking everyones continued help?

Thanks again and again all;)

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Do not know if you get everything figured out or not, but one of the ways to keep things simple is the place everything it the same directory that adb is located that way you do not have to enter a long command.

You type something like this for flashing a recovery or pushing a file.

Example with recovery.img renamed to a.img
Code:
[SIZE="3"]adb push a.img /sdcard/[/SIZE]
There is a space between "a.img" and /sdcard/

If you install the SDK Platform-Tools then you have fastboot installed as well, and maybe an easier way for you to flash a recovery

with the recovery.img in the directory as adb renamed to a.img
Code:
[SIZE="3"]adb reboot-bootlaoder

fastboot flash recovery a.img

fastboot reboot[/SIZE]

Now if you do not have a rom install it well reboot back into bootloader, just pull the battery put the battery back in and hold the "Home," "Volume Dowwn," and "Play buttons until you see the "LG" logo and let go. You should now be booted in recovery.

reelburner

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Do not know if you get everything figured out or not, but one of the ways to keep things simple is the place everything it the same directory that adb is located that way you do not have to enter a long command.

You type something like this for flashing a recovery or pushing a file.

Example with recovery.img renamed to a.img
Code:
[SIZE="3"]adb push a.img /sdcard/[/SIZE]
There is a space between "a.img" and /sdcard/

If you install the SDK Platform-Tools then you have fastboot installed as well, and maybe an easier way for you to flash a recovery

with the recovery.img in the directory as adb renamed to a.img
Code:
[SIZE="3"]adb reboot-bootlaoder

fastboot flash recovery a.img

fastboot reboot[/SIZE]

Now if you do not have a rom install it well reboot back into bootloader, just pull the battery put the battery back in and hold the "Home," "Volume Dowwn," and "Play buttons until you see the "LG" logo and let go. You should now be booted in recovery.

It Worked!!!!! HOORAY!. I now have my phone back and sucessfully rooted
to IHO. WiFi keeps disconnecting, phone works, haven't tried GPS yet.
Found my mistakes I made and had this done in 3 minutes
no fooling. It was soooo easy after I discovered what I was doing wrong.

Thank you Thank you Thank you. I would not be overjoyed right now if not for
ALL YOU PEOPLE. I have attached a thumbnail of my "new" screen.
You people are simply the best!!

Last edited:

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Reelburner,

Glad you got your phone working again. Any chance you could post what mistake I made in giving you advice so that, in the future, I will know?

What was it that worked successfully? Thanks ;)

reelburner

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi Reelburner,

Glad you got your phone working again. Any chance you could post what mistake I made in giving you advice so that, in the future, I will know?

What was it that worked successfully? Thanks ;)

Greetings,

No mistake on your part what-so-ever. My mistake was not putting the needed files
in ADB directory. I think I was so frustrated with all of it, that when I realized
I was getting a new phone the "pressure" was off.
It was at that point I could look at all the instructions, and it suddenly became
very clear. Another of my mistakes was failure to put a "space" before the backslash.
ie: adb push recover.img /sdcard/ the right way
Here is the way I was typing in.

adb push recover.img/sdcard/ I left out the "space" between the g and backslash.

I then followed with: adb reboot-bootloader, followed by
fastboot flash recovery recover.img followed by
fastboot reboot
And that was it. The phone booted into CyanogenMod-7.2.0-RC1.

That's my story. If there is ANYTHING I learned is. Be patient. I found that to be the
most important. And If I could fix my phone with the help of all you great people
then anyone can.

Thank you so much,

Reelburner.

Last edited:
Reactions: droidmyme

epicb0dyc0unt

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Glad that you got your phone back to booting into something..
By the way I see you have an Otterbox skin. How is that?! been thinking about buying it :)

reelburner

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Glad that you got your phone back to booting into something..
By the way I see you have an Otterbox skin. How is that?! been thinking about buying it :)

I like it. The soft skin fits like a glove with all the soft buttons in the right
place. Flaps that cover the charging port and headset plug.
Only drawback(if it's really one) is no access to SD card without removing the entire case.
Other than that, I highly recommend it. Got mine off Amazon for $27.

Last edited:

LeoLawliet

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
That same thing just happened to me.. the new BACKside borked my recovery AND the rom itself wasn't working right.. I was able to boot it but barely anything was working. No lockscreen, no home key functions, even my network had issues. Thank god I had an apk of Flash Image GUI, that saved my phone from becoming a full brick. I installed a different recovery and just about everything was fine, BUT now none of my backups work at all. I have no idea how things got this bad, I have to start completely from scratch now.. I'm not too happy about it because I just swapped back to my OV last night to use as my daily phone again.

BACKside was always an amazing rom, up until last night at least. I'm sorry Jerry, I don't mean to complain but I never had this issue before.

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Reelburner, the root of your Sd Card just means you put a file on the card itself without it being in a named folder such as Downloads or some other folder. Having a file manager helps to move it around where you need it. I have EStrongs File Explorer. All my loads go to my download folder. I have to manually move them wherever I need them. For me, I just choose the file, (long-press it), give it the command to move, then
hit the icon for the SD Card at the top to choose the SD Card itself as the folder of choice, and it will move. The SD Card is the "root folder" of
all the info on it. Just in case nobody answered your question about the Root of your SD Card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995