Bricked my LG Optimus V beyond repair?

reelburner

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello to all.

Recently purchased the LG Optimus V. VM is my carrier.
Bricked it while trying to root to Backside IHO.
In a nutshell, my laptop sees the phone as a removeable disk even with the
LG drivers installed. Furthermore, when attempting to open that drive, it
prompts me to insert a disk. I cannot gain access to the phone to run a recovery.
I've tried all phone button combinations in a attempt to access the booting option.
No luck, other than I can get to my Emergency mode but thats it.
I have attached a pic of my phone screen when I turn the phone on.
This is where it freezes.
I have also noticed when I plug the phone in my laptop(I've tried another data cable as well), ,I repeatedly hear the audiable
tone that Windows sounds when it detects a USB device,as if its trying to connect to laptop
over and over again. Don't know if this is relavent. Wondering if this is an indication that the phone is stuck
in a boot loop?

Thank you to all in advance for everyones help and with some luck(hopefully)
I will have my phone working again.

Last edited:

reelburner

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm beginning to suspect my phones interface may be failing.
When the phone is plugged in via USB and I boot to emergency mode, its not even showing up on my laptop at all, and every 20-30 seconds or so, the LG logo and "download in progress do not disconnect cable" screen keeps flashing on and off with the audible tone from Windows as if its trying to connect with the laptop.

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Check out all the guides written by LeslieAnn under Optimus V Rooting, ROMS & Hacks. All that info WILL save your butt here. YouTube has a video library of How To's.. on this phone of ours. Read thru everything carefully. You only have a "soft brick " at this point. Nothing that
can't be fixed. We've all (or most of us) have been where you are. If you used an update for LS 670 instead of VM670 that maybe where you have the problem. the VM670 requires files to run that the LS 670 doesn't. That update was for the Optimus S (Sprint), not the Optimus V
(Virgin Mobile). You'll need to re-flash your recovery before you can begin to fix any other issues. The Optimus V takes the update found on VirginmobileUSA website. (a copy has been posted on this forum for us) Your phone HAS TO BE UNROOTED before you can flash that update. Do your research carefully FIRST! Once you get your phone working, don't sweat about that update cause it doesn't work with Backside IHO yet. (see the work posted by Jerry Script & LeslieAnn) . Research it all & good luck!

Last edited:

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Can you get into recovery. With power off hold home, volume down and power until you see LG logo for a second or 2. If so wipe and reflash the rom. I'd download a new copy of the rom and gapps in case you had bad download

reelburner

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Upon doing more reading on this matter and after many many attempts
to gain access to my phone with several methods, all of which have the
same result. My laptop refuses to talk to my phone despite all the files and drivers
I've downloaded and installed. Makes no difference If it's drivers for the optimus v or s
The laptop sees my wifes LG Rumor Touch just fine, showing the SD card.
My phones shows up only as a removeable disk that prompts you to insert a disk
when you open it. the only way I can see my SD card is to remove it from phone
and plug it in my media slot, then and only then does my laptop see the SD card
in all it's glory. Now, bear in mind, that when the phone is connected via USB, the
laptop WILL install drivers, it does see the phone in that manner. But after a sucessful
install of the drivers it still will not see the SD card while in the phone. As far as the
LG Mobile Support Tool, that was useless as well. Bottom line: no matter what I do
the phones shows as a removeable drive only that prompts for a disk.
Is the bootloader damaged beyond restore/recovery?
How the heck do I get the phone and laptop to communicate again

On a side note: What is cosidered the "root" of the SD card?
probably a dumb question but I need to ask.

A Big Thank you to all once again.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Upon doing more reading on this matter and after many many attempts
to gain access to my phone with several methods, all of which have the
same result. My laptop refuses to talk to my phone despite all the files and drivers
I've downloaded and installed. Makes no difference If it's drivers for the optimus v or s
The laptop sees my wifes LG Rumor Touch just fine, showing the SD card.
My phones shows up only as a removeable disk that prompts you to insert a disk
when you open it. the only way I can see my SD card is to remove it from phone
and plug it in my media slot, then and only then does my laptop see the SD card
in all it's glory. Now, bear in mind, that when the phone is connected via USB, the
laptop WILL install drivers, it does see the phone in that manner. But after a sucessful
install of the drivers it still will not see the SD card while in the phone. As far as the
LG Mobile Support Tool, that was useless as well. Bottom line: no matter what I do
the phones shows as a removeable drive only that prompts for a disk.
Is the bootloader damaged beyond restore/recovery?
How the heck do I get the phone and laptop to communicate again

On a side note: What is cosidered the "root" of the SD card?
probably a dumb question but I need to ask.

A Big Thank you to all once again.

Umm that is pretty typical, Windows doesnt see the SD card automatically, you have to tap "Turn USB storage on" first.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

reelburner

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
How do I enable USB when I can't access the phone, and my laptop is not communicating
with phone? There is no way for me to turn on that feature without first being able to either
have a phone that boots and then I can enter the settings menu and enable USB, or have a connection between the laptop and phone that will enable me to do it that way.
This is my problem. Is it essential that the phone and laptop connect in order to
perform a recovery? If so, I may be screwed. How can I move vital files that need to be on SD card while in the phone, when my laptop sees no SD card?
This is quite frustrating, I done my research(obviously not enough) prior to rooting.
I bit off more than I can chew, and for that I apologize to everyone if I
appear ignorant or have trouble understanding the methods suggested to me to use.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

reelburner

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
No, I have not tried ADB, I did try Android SDK with no sucess. You think that's
all I need to get back on track. Where can I get it, and will it tell me how to use it?

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Lets get the basics covered first, then there wont be any confusion.

It sounds like you are making a simple driver/OS error, tbh. Dont worry about getting ADB setup for now, first thing you need to resolve is the driver issue.

1) What is your OS?
2) What LG driver are you using, and are you sure it is for your OS?
3) You should uninstall ALL the other LG and phone drivers-

You have multiple phone drivers installed, that is one of your issues. That will glitch.

4) You have USB debugging enabled on your phone?

reelburner

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
New pre-packaged ADB installation

Just follow the instructions on the site to set it up. How exactly did you brick your phone btw.

Used Gingerbreak to run the exploit, which reported as successful as the phone rebooted.
Rebooted fine, then ran ROM Manager(big mistake) after making not one but 2 backups.
One with Clockworkmod and the other with Titanium backup.
After that, using ROM Manager I installed IHO Basckside using the "install from SD card.
when it rebooted it hung up at the LG start screen, but I could remove the battery and it would boot fine, but still with the stock ROM.
So, I went directly to the IHO app on my SD card and ran it.
When prompted, I wiped the Delvik cache and the phone proceeded to reboot to its
current state. See pic in original post.
Since then my laptop cannot communicate with the phone.

reelburner

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Lets get the basics covered first, then there wont be any confusion.

It sounds like you are making a simple driver/OS error, tbh. Dont worry about getting ADB setup for now, first thing you need to resolve is the driver issue.

1) What is your OS?
2) What LG driver are you using, and are you sure it is for your OS?
3) You should uninstall ALL the other LG and phone drivers-

You have multiple phone drivers installed, that is one of your issues. That will glitch.

4) You have USB debugging enabled on your phone?

1) OS Windows7 32/64bit
2) Would have to verify compatibility on LG drivers to be absolutely sure.
3) I will uninstall ALL irrelevant drives and their software.
4) USB debugging was enabled prior to bricking. No way to gain access
to phone now to check if it is still enabled.

Ok, I've uninstalled ALL drivers for the phone till I'm sure I
have the correct driver. Is there a specific driver,
other than it being for Wiindows7, that I need to look for?

Update: Found the driver for Windows7, downloaded them and found
that they were the same drivers I just uninstalled.
So, there must be some update for that driver, cuz this one
didn't work.
I currently have NO LG drivers installed, since they didn't work anyway,
In fact I've uninstalled everything related to LG or Virgin Mobile for now.
Where do I go from here?
Is it time to panic yet?

Last edited:

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
1) OS Windows7 32/64bit
2) Would have to verify compatibility on LG drivers to be absolutely sure.
3) I will uninstall ALL irrelevant drives and their software.
4) USB debugging was enabled prior to bricking. No way to gain access
to phone now to check if it is still enabled.

Ok, I've uninstalled ALL drivers for the phone till I'm sure I
have the correct driver. Is there a specific driver,
other than it being for Wiindows7, that I need to look for?

Update: Found the driver for Windows7, downloaded them and found
that they were the same drivers I just uninstalled.
So, there must be some update for that driver, cuz this one
didn't work.
I currently have NO LG drivers installed, since they didn't work anyway,
In fact I've uninstalled everything related to LG or Virgin Mobile for now.
Where do I go from here?
Is it time to panic yet?

Aha, that answers my question then. And yours too. Since the phone cant enable USB debugging, there is no way to "recognize" it in the traditional way.

But the good news is at least now, you are 100% certain you have the,correct driver. And thats good, because you will need that.

What you need to do next is (just a basic outline):

Get the Android SDK installed. You may also need Java runtime I believe.

I think you have to use the SDK to run ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and commands. The command terminal will tell you if it actually sees the phone or not. Then you have to push an old but working recovery to your phone via ADB and flash it (called Xionia recovery).

Im sorry I can only give you a rough outline at this point. But I know that with a little patience you can get your phone back 100% ( except any personal data, unfortunately).

I must bow out now and wish you well in the rest, but there are other threads detailing the steps

reelburner

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Aha, that answers my question then. And yours too. Since the phone cant enable USB debugging, there is no way to "recognize" it in the traditional way.

But the good news is at least now, you are 100% certain you have the,correct driver. And thats good, because you will need that.

What you need to do next is (just a basic outline):

Get the Android SDK installed. You may also need Java runtime I believe.

I think you have to use the SDK to run ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and commands. The command terminal will tell you if it actually sees the phone or not. Then you have to push an old but working recovery to your phone via ADB and flash it (called Xionia recovery).

Im sorry I can only give you a rough outline at this point. But I know that with a little patience you can get your phone back 100% ( except any personal data, unfortunately).

I must bow out now and wish you well in the rest, but there are other threads detailing the steps

I thank you very much for your help.