Unbricking Your Optimus V

grip66

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
First off, yes, I did read the guide several times and check things along the way. I did follow the instructions as given, in order until after step 4. Now this is making some sense. I used the LS670ZV8_23.bin file when doing step 4 so that is why my versions look they way they do. I now understand that the bin file I used is the S firmware. I have used optiauto-sfx.exe to root after the fact so that's done. Like I said earlier, "Under "Resources" Download the Official OV9 Update.zip" link is broken. I can't find the update file anywhere so I can't do step 6 anyway. I would appreciate it if someone could send me a new link. I also can't do step 7 because I can't seem to get the pone into recovery mode or see the screen. I'm also going to assume that step 8 is done from the recovery menu which I can't see. I'll play with it some more and see what I can come up with.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Well if you flashed a bin you've already wiped your esn, meid, aaa, ha, and aaa. Sooo... If I can find a host that will allow me to upload a file over 200mb I have the zv5 bin you could flash. It will put you back to complete stock recovery and all. Then your new project will be restoring service to it

Tapatalk'n it from my Cold As Ice VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Now where getting some where. I like information. The more the better.
Here is the link to the ZV9 update: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/resources/update.zip
Once downloaded follow the rest of the steps.

PS: Sorry I didn't see where you posted about the busted link.
In the future, try not to attempt any guide of any kind without making sure all download links work.
If any are, don't do anything until you can get them fixed (bring to the attention of guide author) or find an alternative download site.

Can you see the recovery menu in Screen cast?
Remember to flash the ZV9 update once in the custom recovery, and once in the new stock recovery.

When done, if everything looks good, I'll link you to the the best root guide for the ZV9 update.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

grip66

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again for everyone's help. I'm sure I would have used the phone for batting practice by now if you guys weren't helping me.

Well, I've tried a couple of times to get into the recovery menu and it seems like it just won't get there. It boots up normally with the home-up volume- power key combination. My good VM670 goes in no problem. I did notice that the phone I'm working on keeps booting into usb debugging mode. Could this keep me from getting into the recovery menu? If I turn it off, how do I turn it back on? Is there another way to force the update without the recovery menu? Sorry for all the questions.

btw. For anyone wanting to play with Screencast, you have to do a shell root before you start it for it to work. I used SuperOneClick to do this and it works great.

EDIT: One more thing with Screencast. The screen will go black with a blinking cursor at the top left corner. That's because your phone went into screen saver mode. Just hit a key on the phone and you're back. Screencast is a little slow on response some times too so give it several seconds to update.

Also, thanks a bunch AndyOpie150 for the link and all the help.

EDIT AGAIN: AARRGH!! Ok. Got into recovery. Reread the first post and now realize that the S ROM key combinations are different than the stock ROM ones. I can now see the screen in Screencast too. I'm going to try to finish the unbrick and let you know how it goes. Sorry about missing the key combination difference.

Last edited:

grip66

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
One more thing. Step 8.
8) Reset data and cache then toggle sig verification before flashing update.zip

Should I assume the reset data means selecting "wipe data/factory reset" on the recovery menu?
Should I assume the reset cache means selecting "wipe cache partition" on the recovery menu?
Should I also select "Wipe Dalvik cache" from the "Advanced and Debugging Options" on the recovery menu?
One last thing. I'm not sure what toggle sig verification means. This is the first time I've really looked at a recovery menu so I apologize for the stupid question. I'm still a bit green at this.

Thanks everyone.

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, format/wipe boot, data, system, dalvik cache, sd-ext (if you have one, but you probably don't). You should do this whenever you are installing a new rom. You can get away with just cache and dalvik if you are updating a rom. Usually the factory reset option wipes cache, data, and sd-ext, but it depends on the specific recovery. There should be a separate menu that lets you format each partition individually.

Last edited:

grip66

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey upconvert. Is that a Yocco's logo you've got there? It took me a little while but I recognized it. You must be from my neck of the woods. Thanks for the info.

grip66

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Awesome! Update went without a hitch. I now have a display and a working phone. Now to reenter all of those codes and regen the AAA code. Do I need to root this at this point? I intend on updating it with BobZhome's ICS ROM.

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey upconvert. Is that a Yocco's logo you've got there? It took me a little while but I recognized it. You must be from my neck of the woods. Thanks for the info.

Originally from Reading. I miss yocco's more than anything. I want to get the logo tattooed on my arm. Glad you made progress.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Android Central Forums

grip66

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, it just so happens that Yocco Doggie Packs can be mailed pretty much anywhere..... Would you be interested? It might cost you though.

atrain2324

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Just looked at the OP...

Maybe a dumb question...given the current situation of my friend's OV...how can this be all done without the AAA key since there's no way I can get that in its current state?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Just looked at the OP...

Maybe a dumb question...given the current situation of my friend's OV...how can this be all done without the AAA key since there's no way I can get that in its current state?

Without the AAA key your best bet is the kdz method from ylthe stickies

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Just looked at the OP...

Look at the links I gave grip66.
There is one to a post in the AAA code thread that might get the AAA code written back.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Look at the links I gave grip66.
There is one to a post in the AAA code thread that might get the AAA code written back.

I've been playing with that method lately but have not had success. I did get it to write the profiles and HA key and an aaa code but not the one that I have originally and have not managed to restore data with it yet.

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running OM-Mandylion on LS670ZVJ firmware

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you already have the Android SDK on the root of the C: drive, with the path to the adb.exe set in the environmental variables section of the computer?
Did you install the Java 6/jdk6 ( not the Java 7). Did you delete the old class path and put the class path to the Java 6's java.exe (found in the same environmental variables section)?
I hate to say this, but your going to have to explain in detail everything you have downloaded, and what you installed, and where, and if you have administration rights on your computer.
Also include links to everything downloaded.
You have missed something. Don't know what until I see exactly what you have done, and in detail.

I have successfully unbricked my old V using this tutorial. If I can do it, anybody can ( I'm a complete newb when it comes to trying anything new).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21