Gingerbreak Doesn't Work

DDUBYO

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey I'm a little confused. Gingerbreak isn't working for me.

I restarted my phone before I used it.
I'm running 2.2.2 software version and VM670ZV5
Baseband version VM670ZV9_60401001

Is there anything I could do? Or am I missing something?

bkttk2

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

For the V9 radio the method is a little different. Take a look at the thread located here

Good Luck!!;)

Reactions: DDUBYO

DDUBYO

May 24, 2011
Visit site
For the V9 radio the method is a little different. Take a look at the thread located here

Good Luck!!;)

Thanks. I'll try this out. I'm just confused cause gingerbreak is supposed to work for ZV5, "If baseband ends with ZV5 you can use Gingerbreak." I'll try the zv9 method as well

EDIT: Wait nvm I see what you mean. I'm running VM670zv9. Thanks!

Last edited:

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

The strange part here is they both should say zv9... I'd flash the official update.zip again from the stock recovery then follow the link bkttk2 provided

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
after seeing a number of individuals who have new phones with zv9 already on it and others having major issues re-rooting after installing this piece of trash software i dont think anyone should install it that doesnt have it on their phones. especially if they want the option of being rooted,etc.. in my opinion(and it is just that. my own) the vm "security" update should not be installed by anyone who does not currently have it on their device. the "security hole" their updating isnt because of viruses,malware,etc. its to deter rom use,etc. some security update..they went through all that to cause our community issues versus releasing a decent gingerbread update for their customers. i like virgin mobile,but on this issue. i think they suck. they whined and complained to anyone asking about a gingerbread update about how costly it was,etc..or even flat out lied and told customers it was coming..which never happened. and yet in the end..this is what we got. a bork causing "security" update. excuse my frustation,but really..a security update??? really??? what does it fix??? answer me that..outside of deterring rom use that is. it fixes nothing..and the radio portion in my opinion improves squat. there are as many people saying it improved reception none at all as there is that thought it did. to me..thats a placebo effect. i cant help what others suggest when it comes to the zv9 update,but for me. im suggesting to leave it sitting right where it needs to be. on virgin mobiles website. unused!!

LeoLawliet

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Why not use SuperOneClick or zergrush? You'd need a PC for those but they will definitely work.

Sent from my LG-VM670 running IHO MiRaGe using Tapatalk

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
you could,and they do work. but why even have to go to that extent for something that really doesnt help your device one way or the other? zv5 works as good as zv9 from everything ive read. so there really is no need to install the "update". its garbage software that will cause more headaches than its worth.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
curtis Im sorry but you are WRONG. I guess you dont remember the exploit that would root your phone and do things you had no idea it was doing do you? That was from installing a app on the play store.

Read this, it explains why gingerbreak was patched to not work in this update.
Evolving Android Malware Shows How Evil Apps Will Evade Google's Scans - Forbes

Please also we all know you dislike VM's way of updating and what not but atleast research the reason for fixes before making yourself look like a ass.

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah they did stop us from rooting. That was the security update. When you run Gingerbreak, etc you are taking advantage of an exploit in the code to gain root access to Android. If you can take advantage of it gain root access, a rouge app can use it to do bad things to your phone. When Jerry posted about the new Gordita root method by jcase he said they reported it to AOSP to be fixed as it is a security vulnerability so that method will probably be fixed some day

Sent from my Optimus V running BACKside IHO using Tapatalk2

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
... Back on topic... The reason I suggested the op do the update is cause he's already running the zv9 software. Gingerbreak will not work for it. Since it still says zv5 for the SW version. It looks like it was only applied once from a custom recovery and needs to be run again to be completed. Once that's done. He should be able to root gordita root style.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
curtis Im sorry but you are WRONG. I guess you dont remember the exploit that would root your phone and do things you had no idea it was doing do you? That was from installing a app on the play store.

Read this, it explains why gingerbreak was patched to not work in this update.
Evolving Android Malware Shows How Evil Apps Will Evade Google's Scans - Forbes

Please also we all know you dislike VM's way of updating and what not but atleast research the reason for fixes before making yourself look like a ass.

hey its still a garbage update. as for looking like an ass,youre the clown that looks like an ass for calling someone an ass for stating their opinion...ASS!! as for me being uninformed on any actual security flaw....that doesn't seem to be an overwhelming issue for anyone by the way...well that may be true,but calling someone an ass for being uninformed is a bit childish. and for the record,security issue or not..its STILL not worth installing. ill take my chances :thumbup:

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

DDUBYO

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Stop fighting people. Really. And I've actually noticed some improvements in the browser and signal strength for the virgin mobile update.

The link bkttk2 provided (second post) worked like a charm. Not as easy as gingerbreak, but it works for sure. I got quattrimus 10 running and everything is working great. :)

morenoa48

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Curtis, I flashed the ZV9 update and did not notice one single difference in reception or anything else for that matter. BTW, brotherswing has a kick a** tutorial on how to flash and root this update. I followed his instructions and was re-rooted within minutes. Thanks brotherswing! :)

Reactions: curtis1973

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
curtis I had a post written up and then figured I would just say this. I would rather look like a informed educated ass then somebody without a clue and has a ax to grind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34