[ROM+Kernel] MiRaGe-CM7.2-IHO (07132013)

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel] MiRaGe-CM7.2-IHO

Correct, if you want the speach to text option to work (and the little mic icon in your keyboard).

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

nicapymph

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I've got Voice Search installed. Still not working. Anyone happen to know what the directory that holds the text-to-speech config files? Might just take a look there. I don't really wanna wipe and re-install if I can avoid it. Thanks for the help already, folks.

tli

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I've got Voice Search installed. Still not working. Anyone happen to know what the directory that holds the text-to-speech config files? Might just take a look there. I don't really wanna wipe and re-install if I can avoid it. Thanks for the help already, folks.

Couldn't find the TTS config files but found the following:

Code:
Apps:
 /system/app/PicoTts.apk
 /system/app/TtsService.apk
 /system/app/VoiceDialer.apk

Folder with a dozen bin files:
 /system/tts/lang_pico

skealoha86

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys, just a heads up if you're using this ROM... (I am, it is extremely reliable). I would highly recommend that you check out Seeder. Here is the link: [APK] Seeder 2.0.0 entropy generator to provide significant lag reduction - xda-developers

The guy who created it is a Linux sys admin - he found out that Android 2.3 and below uses a very complex random number generator and that lag can almost be completely eliminated by switching to a less complex number generator. All of the details are in his post. I use Seeder with Mirage and it has eliminated almost all lag - it significantly speeds up my experience on the phone. Check it out!

skealoha86

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

There is an attachment in the XDA post, use the Seeder 2.0.0 apk, should be the last one as of now.

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys, just a heads up if you're using this ROM... (I am, it is extremely reliable). I would highly recommend that you check out Seeder. Here is the link: [APK] Seeder 2.0.0 entropy generator to provide significant lag reduction - xda-developers

The guy who created it is a Linux sys admin - he found out that Android 2.3 and below uses a very complex random number generator and that lag can almost be completely eliminated by switching to a less complex number generator. All of the details are in his post. I use Seeder with Mirage and it has eliminated almost all lag - it significantly speeds up my experience on the phone. Check it out!

The source for the binary can easily be compiled into a ROM and what the script writes can also be included. I can run some test and see how the binary works there by skipping the need for the app, this would effectively call everything into action on boot.

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Give me a week or two, as I'm still working on the SuperiorIrkenOrgans source, and Project SuperiorIrkenOrgans Google Page.

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

The rngd binary did inface compile and is working, see how everything runs. Will have a flash zip if everything goes will by Friday, just look for it in the OM-Mandylion thread.

Last edited:

bokoxthexchocobo

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

At first I thought this was just some BS post. But I tried it,and my initial reaction was , "DAMN!". It makes the phone super snappy as a dual core phone with ICS. (Even tried it on a Evo 3d, and I can see the difference.)

Thanks for that post.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

There is a discussion here about Seeder. The Android developers are claiming that the perceived improvements are just placebo. Plus, there is a possibility of higher battery use. You could try and experiment but I wouldn't use it on my phone since it is already as smooth as it can get for me. There is of course a lot of room for improvement but it should be inside the Android OS and Linux kernel. Based on my past experience, I simply don't like such high-level add-on apps that try to modify the core functions of the OS. These apps are always ad-hoc fix ups that spoil other parts while trying to improve something specific.

This reminds me the V6 Supercharger script we had all discussed one year ago. Many people including myself claimed performance improvement initially but after I stopped using it due to complications it created, I didn't see anything worse without it. Nobody could prove or demonstrate any measurable improvement with it.

Last edited:

skealoha86

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

To each his own :) If you're thinking it's placebo effect, it's very easy to uninstall. The hit to battery life is due to the daemon process that is running in the background keeping entropy free - if integrated directly into a ROM there should be zero impact on battery life.

He points out that Android 4.0 already uses the less complex random number generator, so I'd agree with you that any perceived improvement from Seeder on an ICS+ ROM is likely placebo.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

I have uploaded a new kernel with a new patch that addresses the entropy depletion problem. It seems like this patch will be part of the next Linux kernel release. I have manually merged in the MiRaGe kernel and tested briefly. Everything seems to be working and the patch seems to increase available entropy considerably.

You can check available entropy with the following command

Code:
cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail

When I checked the available entropy without the patch, it was around 190 and decreased down to 130 with after using the above command repeatedly.
After the patch, available entropy is around 1700 and didn't decrease when I issued the command repeatedly. I am not going to comment about the performance increase, it would be great if you can do this. I have not updated the kernel repository yet. I will do this after your feedback.

The kernel is a flashable zip file with 012713 build number. You can download with the following link.
VM670_kernel_MiRaGe_01272013.zip MD5sum:59B4C049409F1CC8FD8556A0F08D09A1

The file is not signed so disable sign checking in the recovery.
Enjoy!

PS: You can use this kernel with LS670 and VZW builds as well.

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

I have uploaded a new kernel with a new patch that addresses the entropy depletion problem. It seems like this patch will be part of the next Linux kernel release. I have manually merged in the MiRaGe kernel and tested briefly. Everything seems to be working and the patch seems to increase available entropy considerably.

You can check available entropy with the following command

Code:
cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail

When I checked the available entropy without the patch, it was around 190 and decreased down to 130 with after using the above command repeatedly.
After the patch, available entropy is around 1700 and didn't decrease when I issued the command repeatedly. I am not going to comment about the performance increase, it would be great if you can do this. I have not updated the kernel repository yet. I will do this after your feedback.

The kernel is a flashable zip file with 012713 build number. You can download with the following link.
VM670_kernel_MiRaGe_01272013.zip MD5sum:59B4C049409F1CC8FD8556A0F08D09A1

The file is not signed so disable sign checking in the recovery.
Enjoy!

PS: You can use this kernel with LS670 and VZW builds as well.

I see mine go no lower then 3012, with the rngd-tool binary, so I would if the patch and the binary would work will together. I did try the app and it does use about 10% more cpu and cause deep sleep problems.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

The app is not necessary with this patch in the kernel. I would just delete it.

Let's test the kernel patch to see if there are any battery, CPU load problems.

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I just have the binary. As I see it the app does not interact with entropy at the kernel level, but the rngd-tool binary does. What the app does is interact with the binary, and think this is the reason for the deep sleep problems some users are seeing. The binary by default is suppose to suspend when screen is off, but this does not happen with the app.

rngd_tool binary

Though is not the same binary that is used with the Seeder.apk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar