[ROM] Aeneas Froyo Build Your Own Rom 13June12

EnMod

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks

The last time I built GB from source I had a lot of problems, and I just can't do it. I mean I can, but building from source is something you either love or hate. I fall into the latter category, it's very tedious and drives me bonkers, if I had to do it now, I simply wouldn't. I have too many other projects and I value my sanity. LOL

I had several goals in mind other than just more roms when I releasing this. Obviously more roms would be good, but I also hope it generates interest in building roms (particularly from source), and to pass the Froyo torch. Harmonia 1x is done, and won't be updated again unless there is a serious issue (unlikely) as it's exactly what it was meant to be. My hope is that others will pick up the torch and not only keep Froyo going, but also push it forward and gain the confidence to try building IHO.

There is nothing stopping an IHO dev from offering a GB version and I'm sure this will probably put pressure on them to do so, but I'm torn on the idea of someone doing that. A GB version would create more new roms, but there would be less incentive for people to take it to the next level.

P.S. This was actually extremely difficult to write a concise answer to as my thoughts on this are pretty complex, but I think this explains it pretty well.

Beautiful explanation...I see what you mean now, you explained yourself just fine. Well in that case I'll be using this to start, I'd love to keep Froyo going, somehow, it's part of the OV's legacy. The only thing I need now is time lol...so much on my plate.

ilikechicken123

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: [ROM] Aeneas Froyo B.Y.O.R. 13June12

Do one thing at a time and see what happens.
Odds are the animation is what broke it. It's a bit fickle about that. Framework in general is where you will do the most damage and give you the most trouble.

Glad to see people giving this a try.
Ok. Yes its the animation. Of course people give this a try its made by a great dev (we try to follow your footsteps)

So 3 quick questions about the boot animation.
1. We need a bootanimation.zip in system/media? Or do we just edit framework-res.apk? Or both?
2. If we have to edit framework-res.apk, then are the PNGs supposed to be named the same (as original)?
3. Are we supposed to use only 2 PNGs? Or can we use more than 2? (Since originally there's two PNGs)

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Ok. Yes its the animation. Of course people give this a try its made by a great dev (we try to follow your footsteps)

So 3 quick questions about the boot animation.
1. We need a bootanimation.zip in system/media? Or do we just edit framework-res.apk? Or both?
2. If we have to edit framework-res.apk, then are the PNGs supposed to be named the same (as original)?
3. Are we supposed to use only 2 PNGs? Or can we use more than 2? (Since originally there's two PNGs)
1. If you use a bootanimation.zip in system/media, the framework files will not be seen. It's one or the other.
2. the framework png's need to be exactly as they are, same name, same color depth... You can change the writing or colors, but don't go beyond that. changing size leads to some weird effects.
3. Only the two.
What happens is the lettering is clear, the color slides across behind it in a loop. You can create some pretty neat things for such a simple effect, but that is all you can do. If you want a nice animation sequence you will need to use the bootanimation.zip. Where you can build mini movies.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

When I wrote this, I wasn't sure exactly how much info would be needed in the how to area, so as we go along, I will try to add to it.

ilikechicken123

May 4, 2012
Visit site
1. If you use a bootanimation.zip in system/media, the framework files will not be seen. It's one or the other.
2. the framework png's need to be exactly as they are, same name, same color depth... You can change the writing or colors, but don't go beyond that. changing size leads to some weird effects.
3. Only the two.
What happens is the lettering is clear, the color slides across behind it in a loop. You can create some pretty neat things for such a simple effect, but that is all you can do. If you want a nice animation sequence you will need to use the bootanimation.zip. Where you can build mini movies.
Thanks! Im playing around with this.... I found out that the status bars were breaking the framework-res.apk im possibly not putting them in the rom the right way .... I'll see what else I can do. So far so great

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Thanks! Im playing around with this.... I found out that the status bars were breaking the framework-res.apk im possibly not putting them in the rom the right way .... I'll see what else I can do. So far so great

I made a slight change to the statusbar downloads to explain a little better I hope.

If you look in the statusbar mods, copy everything in the system folder over to the system folder on your rom. That should be all you need to do to make them work. Then you can mod from there.

Try making a rom where all you do is swap the statusbar, if it works, then you at least know you are headed the right direction. If you can't get just that to work, let me know and I will see if I can spot the problem.

Now you guys can see how I wore out my sdcards and slots. LOL
As you get more used to it, it will all go faster and you will be more comfortable, but be prepared for a lot of trial and error before you are happy. It's not as easy as "Oh I want this and this and this and.... " Some things are like that, but it's very easy to break things. Things you think won't matter, will. Things you think will be important, aren't.

Just think, you barely scratched the surface. Each time you think you have reached the limit of what you or the rom can do, you can always find more. It's only a matter of how much time and effort you are willing to put in.

Reactions: EnMod

randomosity117

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
How hard would it be to create an ics looking froyo rom? Since froyo doesn't support transparency in the status bar would it be as simple as taking the pngs from ics and changing the transparent parts to the color of the status bar and replacing them?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Find an ICS launcher that works in froyo, then stick the statusbar into UOT Kitchen (I think they can make it transparent).

That would get you pretty close at least on the home screen. Look at some of the themeing tutorials and you could theme the dialer and sort of the messenger pretty easy.

Reactions: randomosity117

randomosity117

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you :D this is something I've been thinking about for a while. I have your 2.08 rom on my phone with the ics theme and I love it but I think that a froyo rom themed as close to ics as possible would be interesting. For those who don't like the alpha bugs of 4.0 and who prefer froyo over iho, it would be an interesting thing to have available, and I havent seen something like that yet

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

ilikechicken123

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I made a slight change to the statusbar downloads to explain a little better I hope.

If you look in the statusbar mods, copy everything in the system folder over to the system folder on your rom. That should be all you need to do to make them work. Then you can mod from there.

Try making a rom where all you do is swap the statusbar, if it works, then you at least know you are headed the right direction. If you can't get just that to work, let me know and I will see if I can spot the problem.

Now you guys can see how I wore out my sdcards and slots. LOL
As you get more used to it, it will all go faster and you will be more comfortable, but be prepared for a lot of trial and error before you are happy. It's not as easy as "Oh I want this and this and this and.... " Some things are like that, but it's very easy to break things. Things you think won't matter, will. Things you think will be important, aren't.

Just think, you barely scratched the surface. Each time you think you have reached the limit of what you or the rom can do, you can always find more. It's only a matter of how much time and effort you are willing to put in.

It still didn't work. Im trying to use the third black status bar. I opened framework-res on the rom and on the status bar file and the folders are different. The ones that end with v4 on the status bar don't end with v4 in the rom and vice versa.

And I can see how confusing and difficult it must get .... you don't even know what's going wrong when something does go wrong so you you have to start all over :c

Annndddd. I am also thinking of making an ICS froyo xD

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
It still didn't work. Im trying to use the third black status bar. I opened framework-res on the rom and on the status bar file and the folders are different. The ones that end with v4 on the status bar don't end with v4 in the rom and vice versa.

And I can see how confusing and difficult it must get .... you don't even know what's going wrong when something does go wrong so you you have to start all over :c

Annndddd. I am also thinking of making an ICS froyo xD

If you DO get a black status bar build working, please post it :D. Will download!

ilikechicken123

May 4, 2012
Visit site
If you DO get a black status bar build working, please post it :D. Will download!

I'm trying. Haha. Its in the process. I just need LeslieAnn's help. The status bars don't seem to cooperate. I'll be posting the first release shortly. Just getting some fixes done and adding APKs and will be up :D

Maybe a black status bar will go in the second version.

Reactions: droidmyme

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying. Haha. Its in the process. I just need LeslieAnn's help. The status bars don't seem to cooperate. I'll be posting the first release shortly. Just getting some fixes done and adding APKs and will be up :D

Maybe a black status bar will go in the second version.

Great. I actually had a question, maybe you can help? I'm trying to build a custom ROM that removes apps which I never use. This is a list of apps I don't use:

Email
Music
News and Weather
G Search
Talk
Voice Dialer
Voice search

For all intensive purposes, these might as well be bloatware since I never have, nor intend to ever use! :D

Is there an easy way to get rid of these apps? I appreciate any help!

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Great. I actually had a question, maybe you can help? I'm trying to build a custom ROM that removes apps which I never use. This is a list of apps I don't use:

Email
Music
News and Weather
G Search
Talk
Voice Dialer
Voice search

For all intensive purposes, these might as well be bloatware since I never have, nor intend to ever use! :D

Is there an easy way to get rid of these apps? I appreciate any help!
If you remove email and Gmail, you will make setting up an account impossible or near impossible. You need at least one, and you may actually need Email regardless of Gmail. The rest is fine to remove.

Haha, okay, I see the problem, you are over-thinking it. Remember, these are flash files, they only over-write files and folders. You went waaaaaaaaaay too deep. Don't open the framework-res.apk, just copy the folders over then do your internal mods to that one, like this....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX