[ROM] Aeneas Froyo Build Your Own Rom 13June12

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Appsaver is handy for the apps you installed, it will copy all of them to a folder on the sdcard.

ES file works for system apps, though there is few you should need.

Reactions: Germitty

ilikechicken123

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Great. I actually had a question, maybe you can help? I'm trying to build a custom ROM that removes apps which I never use. This is a list of apps I don't use:

Email
Music
News and Weather
G Search
Talk
Voice Dialer
Voice search

For all intensive purposes, these might as well be bloatware since I never have, nor intend to ever use! :D

Is there an easy way to get rid of these apps? I appreciate any help!
NoBloat Free is a good app to remove system apps when the rom is in use.

ilikechicken123

May 4, 2012
Visit site
If you remove email and Gmail, you will make setting up an account impossible or near impossible. You need at least one, and you may actually need Email regardless of Gmail. The rest is fine to remove.

Haha, okay, I see the problem, you are over-thinking it. Remember, these are flash files, they only over-write files and folders. You went waaaaaaaaaay too deep. Don't open the framework-res.apk, just copy the folders over then do your internal mods to that one, like this....

I've actually removed email and Gmail with no problem at all....

and okay I'll try to do that for version 2 since I'm pretty much done with the first version.... but do you have any idea on how to theme menus and dialer etc on a Froyo rom? is it possible to theme the themes and dialer?

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
NoBloat Free is a good app to remove system apps when the rom is in use.

That's cool. I will check this out, thank you for the tip.

LeslieAnn, I'm going to leave in GMail per your suggestion, thank you! Can you tell me how to remove the other apps from the ROM build? Where do I go, what do I delete?

I'm sorry I'm such a noob. The NoBloat looks good, but I'd like to do it myself too if possible ...

Hindolam

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
How hard would it be to create an ics looking froyo rom? Since froyo doesn't support transparency in the status bar would it be as simple as taking the pngs from ics and changing the transparent parts to the color of the status bar and replacing them?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Try Holo Launcher from Google Play store. The shortcuts and widgets will make it almost look ICS.

ilikechicken123

May 4, 2012
Visit site
That's cool. I will check this out, thank you for the tip.

LeslieAnn, I'm going to leave in GMail per your suggestion, thank you! Can you tell me how to remove the other apps from the ROM build? Where do I go, what do I delete?

I'm sorry I'm such a noob. The NoBloat looks good, but I'd like to do it myself too if possible ...
To delete the system apps go into the 'system' folder then into the 'app' folder and delete the unnecessary ones.

Hindolam

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Excellent Concept Leslie. Just the right way to start Romming.

I managed to replace the default wall paper following the instructions. I tried locating the Virgin wall paper, language inside the zip and apks. But not able to locate. Wonder if someone can provide pointers? I saw the font folder. I am going to try to play with fonts.

I removed the email and gmail apks without causing any issues. I use k9 mail which is super fast and also provides more options. So I do not need other email apps. This allows me Yahoo and Gmail all in one. I wonder how Yahoo survives because when I use it through K9 mail there are no ads like in the official yahoo mail

Thanks once again Leslie - It is nobler to "teach fishing than to provide fish"

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I just used NoBloat app to remove Email, Music, News and Weather, G Search, Voice dialer, Voice Search, Talkback, Kickback, Soundback, Live Wallpapers, Swype keyboard, and Activate fron system. It works great, still stable after 24 hours. I probably removed about 15MB of apps from /system.

And the best part is, removing Voice search and Voice dialer did NOT affect Android Keyboard - the buttons simply disappeared. I suppose I actually prefer it that way, now the keys are slightly larger.

Thank you LeslieAnn and ILikeChicken! Works great, I'm very happy!

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I managed to replace the default wall paper following the instructions. I tried locating the Virgin wall paper, language inside the zip and apks. But not able to locate. Wonder if someone can provide pointers? I saw the font folder. I am going to try to play with fonts.

Virgin wallpaper was stripped from this. This is a de-branded Harmonia, which was de-branded of Virgin stuff a year ago.

Hindolam

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm. I do see them. When I click on Menu --> Wallpaper. I do see all the original wall paper that was placed by Virgin Mobile. And I think I read in the OP, unlike Harmonia you have put back wall paper, language and sound from Virgin Mobile although the bloatware is removed. Will hunt around more with finer comb.

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm. I do see them. When I click on Menu --> Wallpaper. I do see all the original wall paper that was placed by Virgin Mobile. And I think I read in the OP, unlike Harmonia you have put back wall paper, language and sound from Virgin Mobile although the bloatware is removed. Will hunt around more with finer comb.

Most of the wallpapers are inside Launcher2.apk, it is the live wallpapers that an app.

Reactions: Hindolam

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: [ROM] Aeneas Froyo B.Y.O.R. 13June12

There is nothing stopping an IHO dev from offering a GB version and I'm sure this will probably put pressure on them to do so, but I'm torn on the idea of someone doing that. A GB version would create more new roms, but there would be less incentive for people to take it to the next level.

can see your point on this, and I to would rather people build IHO from source, it is not hard, time consuming yes but not hard.

I am pretty close to getting the Window system going, got the signing problem worked out and what apk cannot be decompiled. Al I have to do is finish writing out a 100 freaking scripts, but I do see your point as to some people not learning about building for source. So now I'm torn about releasing it.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Most of the wallpapers are inside Launcher2.apk, it is the live wallpapers that an app.
The one that starts with the phone is in framework, the optional are in the Luncher, and those are still missing.

I flubbed the wallpaper bit on this rom.
Sorry guys.
If I do an update I will put them in, but it's definitely not a priority as the idea is for you guys to mess with it.

can see your point on this, and I to would rather people build IHO from source, it is not hard, time consuming yes but not hard.

It's up to you.
I'm sure some will graduate from there even if there is a BYOR GB as some things really need to be done from source.

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

It's up to you.
I'm sure some will graduate from there even if there is a BYOR GB as some things really need to be done from source.

Well if/when I do release well have to have a ton of disclaimers, because the registry well have to be edit to be case sensitive and the Cygwin install well be a little over 1GB. Plus right now the BYOR-GB edition is about 250MB's.

Hindolam

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the pointers. I do not think you should update. The whole point is to learn. This is a nicely packaged tutorial.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: LeslieAnn