Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 99
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default [ROM] Aeneas Froyo Build Your Own Rom 13June12

    Current Version 1.0 13June12

    This is something I have been wanting to do for a long time, but needed Harmonia's flashing issues straightened out first. Before you dismiss it as “only Froyo”, you should know that Harmonia 1 is downloaded almost as much as Harmonia 2, so obviously it's still being used a lot!

    Aeneas
    Son of Aphrodite and Anchises, was a brother of Harmonia and Rhode. He became a Trojan hero and fathered an extensive family. Several leaders of Rome including Julius Caesar and Augustus trace their lineage to him. Having the same DNA as Harmonia, Aeneas is a blank rom for you to modify and make your own, giving it a potentially large family tree.

    B.Y.O.R. = Build Your Own Rom.
    That's right, you are welcome to take this rom, tear it apart, make your own from it and share it. Instructions are in post 2 and you do not need to understand Linux at all.


    What's here is the basics,
    It starts with Harmonia, but all Harmonia branding has been removed
    It still has the power button menu and gapps base like Harmonia (Email, Gmail, Play store and supporting files)
    It supports both new and old phones and includes the activation app.
    Harmonia statusbars can be used. I will link them in post 3 and you can put those right into your rom.

    Also, I put back some of the typical things that came from Virgin, such as languages, wallpaper, and sounds just to make things easier. Virgin bloat however is gone.


    So have at it....
    This is meant as a learning experience as well as a way to get people started messing with roms and just see what people come up with. So have fun with it. Please remember to thank those who help you accomplish your ideal rom.

    One last thing, don't add one little app and post it as a new rom. If you want to do this for yourself or a few friends, that is perfectly fine, but if everyone does that and posts it we will have a flood of roms hardly any different. Try and differentiate yourself if you plan to upload it for others to use.


    Download
    Aeneas 1.0
    MD5: ca543982faf1e9bdbe93189c0cf3bcbc

    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.

    I owe a great deal to Picasticks, BigSuperSquid, Obijohn, RevolutionRed, Takenover83, Mmmark111 and Marzz, be it directly or indirectly, this rom wouldn't be here or as good without them all.
    Last edited by LeslieAnn; 08-24-2012 at 04:29 PM.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by 18:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    mlson, Redbaron2005 and Germitty like this.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    How to do this... (these are the basics!)
    It's VERY simple to do some basic stuff, and can be done right in Windows, you don't need any understanding of Linux at all.

    You will need a zip utility, this can be 7zip, Winzip, or Winrar. What you do is look inside the zip, then drag and drop things into and out of it. If you rename APK's to zip, you can open them as well. Sound simple? It is! I use Winrar.


    Bits of information you need.

    Warning: If you extract everything and try to re-compress it, you will break things. Being Linux based, Windows will lose files making your rom not work. So only open and drag things in and out. This applies to APK files as well.

    Build.prop, there isn't much here to mess with, but you will want to change the 4th line
    ro.build.display.id=*********
    Replace the stars with the name of your rom, this will show up in the “about phone” section.
    Do NOT change:
    ro.product.model=VM670
    ro.product.manufacturer=LGE
    You will have issues in the Play store if you do.


    Boot animation.zip
    is normally stored in system/media, however I did not include one. These can be like mini movies.
    The “Aeneas” animation will be covered if you use a boot animation. You can change the Aeneas animation by changing two files in system/framework/framework-res.apk The files are located in assets/images/ and are called android-logo-mask.png and android-logo-shine.png. These need to be PNG's and you cannot change their size. The mask has clear lettering, the "shine" slides across behind it in a loop. It's a simple animation, but you can do a lot if you are creative.

    Default wallpaper is also stored in framework-res.apk in the folder res/drawable and is called default_wallpaper.png
    Optional Wallpaper is in Lancher2.apk in sytstem/apps.
    Unfortunately I forgot to put all of this back, if I update, I will fix it.

    Apps are stored in system/apps
    Apps stored here cannot be uninstalled, they must be deleted. However, they don't take up as much room. Not every app can run from here. Uninstallable apps are in data/app. Anything put here can be easily uninstalled by the user through settings. Most apps can be run from here. Do NOT put pay apps in your rom.

    Statusbars...
    If you open a statusbar zip, you will see where the files go and what they replace. Feel free to use the ones from Harmonia. I will link them in post 3.

    Changing the installer.
    The installer is located in META-INF/com/google/android. The actual script is called updater-script. DO NOT edit with notepad. You need to download Open Office and use Writer or download Notepad++. Using notepad can mess up the file. Really there is nothing in here you need to mess with, but you may want to personalize it. It's fairly easy to understand what you want to change as it's very simple code.

    META-INF which contains the installer also has the signing, if you use the optional statusbars, you don't import this. If you do, you will wipe out the rom installer.

    Changing XML files...
    If you open an APK or Jar, you might not see all of the XML files or folders. There are Windows based APK tools that can do this, but a simple zip tool cannot. So if you are looking for a file and cannot find it, this is why.

    Signing your rom
    Signing is optional, but you will want to tell your users they will have to disable the signature check in recovery. If you still want to sign it, search Google for “sign zip”, you will find PLENTY.

    Hosting your rom...
    If you are starting out (obviously you are), Mediafire is a good option for the rom. For images for your thread, Imageshack works.
    Last edited by LeslieAnn; 06-17-2012 at 04:39 PM.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by 3:
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    Troubleshooting
    Boot sequence
    First boot logo is LG. This is built into the firmware, there is no way to change it and it only stays on for second or two.
    There is actually a second LG logo (used to be aphrodite+Picasticks), this last a bit longer and is your kernel.
    Next comes either your boot animation or the framework animation (the Aeneas animation). If you get neither it means you seriously messed up your framework.
    If your boot animation or framework animation shows up, but crashes you broke framework.
    If that works, but you don't get into the desktop, you messed up or removed the launcher.
    If you haven't figured it out, framework is where you can and will cause problems.


    Optional Parts
    (Use everything in the system folder)

    Black status bars



    Gray status bars
    (this is stock)





    Changelog:

    1.0 initial release 21June12

    Versions:
    Aeneas 1.0
    MD5: ca543982faf1e9bdbe93189c0cf3bcbc
    Last edited by LeslieAnn; 06-14-2012 at 08:39 PM.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  4. #4  
    arnold1997's Avatar

    Posts
    693 Posts
    ROM
    My Version Of CNA

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    Im sorry but I couldn't understand :/ is this froyo or gb?
  5. #5  
    Redbaron2005's Avatar
    Jr. Android Developer

    Posts
    72 Posts
    ROM
    VMusic Alpha

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas Froyo B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    Amazing! This is awesome, this might give some people the push to build some ROMs!
    Also this will be great for building on!
    Team-Coterie (Under Construction)
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas Froyo B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    Second sentence says Froyo but I added it to the title as well.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  
    arnold1997's Avatar

    Posts
    693 Posts
    ROM
    My Version Of CNA

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas Froyo B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    Second sentence says Froyo but I added it to the title as well.
    Wow...did not read fully the title..But thanks though
  8. #8  

    Default

    Another lightweight rom. Thanks Leslie
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron2005 View Post
    Amazing! This is awesome, this might give some people the push to build some ROMs!
    Also this will be great for building on!
    Hey Baron. I was wondering. Are you still working on Ginger V?


    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
  9. #9  
    EnMod's Avatar

    Posts
    71 Posts
    ROM
    MiRaGe 01292013

    Default

    Good stuff, Leslie. Do you have any plans to also create an Aeneas Gingerbread? I believe I'd want to use that to build my first from if anything. If not then this Froyo will do
  10. #10  
    arnold1997's Avatar

    Posts
    693 Posts
    ROM
    My Version Of CNA

    Default

    Delete this please..

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
  11. #11  
    EarthnFire78's Avatar
    YAY!!! ME :)

    Posts
    964 Posts
    ROM
    Custom ROM & Kernel

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas Froyo B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    Quote Originally Posted by EnMod View Post
    Good stuff, Leslie. Do you have any plans to also create an Aeneas Gingerbread? I believe I'd want to use that to build my first from if anything. If not then this Froyo will do
    That is something that I'm working on, all I have to do is figure out which apk's apktool breaks then I'll release. Though it well be more technical then Aeneas, and Windows Registry well have to be edited for it to work properly so it is not something for someone just starting out.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas Froyo B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    Quote Originally Posted by EnMod View Post
    Good stuff, Leslie. Do you have any plans to also create an Aeneas Gingerbread? I believe I'd want to use that to build my first from if anything. If not then this Froyo will do
    Thanks

    The last time I built GB from source I had a lot of problems, and I just can't do it. I mean I can, but building from source is something you either love or hate. I fall into the latter category, it's very tedious and drives me bonkers, if I had to do it now, I simply wouldn't. I have too many other projects and I value my sanity. LOL

    I had several goals in mind other than just more roms when I releasing this. Obviously more roms would be good, but I also hope it generates interest in building roms (particularly from source), and to pass the Froyo torch. Harmonia 1x is done, and won't be updated again unless there is a serious issue (unlikely) as it's exactly what it was meant to be. My hope is that others will pick up the torch and not only keep Froyo going, but also push it forward and gain the confidence to try building IHO.

    There is nothing stopping an IHO dev from offering a GB version and I'm sure this will probably put pressure on them to do so, but I'm torn on the idea of someone doing that. A GB version would create more new roms, but there would be less incentive for people to take it to the next level.



    P.S. This was actually extremely difficult to write a concise answer to as my thoughts on this are pretty complex, but I think this explains it pretty well.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by 3:
    jru likes this.
  13. #13  
    anthonycr's Avatar
    Themer. You've seen them

    Posts
    2,120 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I love your roms referencing roman history Leslie Ann. I took seven years of Latin in high school so it makes me smile (:
  14. #14  
    ilikechicken123's Avatar

    Posts
    420 Posts
    ROM
    MiRaGe

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas Froyo B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    I am going to try it will post results and such when I'm done.
  15. #15  
    ilikechicken123's Avatar

    Posts
    420 Posts
    ROM
    MiRaGe

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas Froyo B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    I don't understand the bootanimation part ><
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas Froyo B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    Quote Originally Posted by anthonycr View Post
    I love your roms referencing roman history Leslie Ann. I took seven years of Latin in high school so it makes me smile (:
    I reference the history just because it kind of pertains to the naming scheme and it's interesting. I'm really not a Greek mythology buff by any means. I started off with Aphrodite because it was a good name for the rom, the rest were descendents so I stuck with the family tree.

    I do however try and find a name that fits the purpose, which means a bit of research. Many just slap a cool name on a rom and call it done, mine have some meaning. It may be thin, but it works. LOL


    Quote Originally Posted by ilikechicken123 View Post
    I don't understand the bootanimation part >…<
    I added a bit more info hopefully that clarifies it.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  17. #17  
    ilikechicken123's Avatar

    Posts
    420 Posts
    ROM
    MiRaGe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    I added a bit more info hopefully that clarifies it.
    Ok well I tried to do everything and I forgot to turn of signature verification. (since I didn't sign it) and I got the error 'wrong digest /framework/framework-res'

    And so I disabled signature verification and I got stuck on LG Logo >< no boot animation ...
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas Froyo B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    Quote Originally Posted by ilikechicken123 View Post
    Ok well I tried to do everything and I forgot to turn of signature verification. (since I didn't sign it) and I got the error 'wrong digest /framework/framework-res'

    And so I disabled signature verification and I got stuck on LG Logo >…< no boot animation ...
    You broke your framework.
    You were messing with framework-res.apk weren't you?


    BTW,
    I added some troubleshooting to help situations like this in post 3 so you can at least figure out where things went wrong.
    Last edited by LeslieAnn; 06-14-2012 at 05:03 PM.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  19. #19  
    ilikechicken123's Avatar

    Posts
    420 Posts
    ROM
    MiRaGe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    You broke your framework.
    You were messing with framework-res.apk weren't you?


    BTW,
    I added some troubleshooting to help situations like this in post 3 so you can at least figure out where things went wrong.
    Thanks for helping with all the trouble. I was trying to change the default wallpaper and the bootanimation...
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas Froyo B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    Quote Originally Posted by ilikechicken123 View Post
    Thanks for all the trouble. I was trying to change the default wallpaper and the bootanimation...
    Do one thing at a time and see what happens.
    Odds are the animation is what broke it. It's a bit fickle about that. Framework in general is where you will do the most damage and give you the most trouble.

    Glad to see people giving this a try.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  21. #21  
    EnMod's Avatar

    Posts
    71 Posts
    ROM
    MiRaGe 01292013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    Thanks

    The last time I built GB from source I had a lot of problems, and I just can't do it. I mean I can, but building from source is something you either love or hate. I fall into the latter category, it's very tedious and drives me bonkers, if I had to do it now, I simply wouldn't. I have too many other projects and I value my sanity. LOL

    I had several goals in mind other than just more roms when I releasing this. Obviously more roms would be good, but I also hope it generates interest in building roms (particularly from source), and to pass the Froyo torch. Harmonia 1x is done, and won't be updated again unless there is a serious issue (unlikely) as it's exactly what it was meant to be. My hope is that others will pick up the torch and not only keep Froyo going, but also push it forward and gain the confidence to try building IHO.

    There is nothing stopping an IHO dev from offering a GB version and I'm sure this will probably put pressure on them to do so, but I'm torn on the idea of someone doing that. A GB version would create more new roms, but there would be less incentive for people to take it to the next level.



    P.S. This was actually extremely difficult to write a concise answer to as my thoughts on this are pretty complex, but I think this explains it pretty well.
    Beautiful explanation...I see what you mean now, you explained yourself just fine. Well in that case I'll be using this to start, I'd love to keep Froyo going, somehow, it's part of the OV's legacy. The only thing I need now is time lol...so much on my plate.
  22. #22  
    ilikechicken123's Avatar

    Posts
    420 Posts
    ROM
    MiRaGe

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas Froyo B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    Do one thing at a time and see what happens.
    Odds are the animation is what broke it. It's a bit fickle about that. Framework in general is where you will do the most damage and give you the most trouble.

    Glad to see people giving this a try.
    Ok. Yes its the animation. Of course people give this a try its made by a great dev (we try to follow your footsteps)

    So 3 quick questions about the boot animation.
    1. We need a bootanimation.zip in system/media? Or do we just edit framework-res.apk? Or both?
    2. If we have to edit framework-res.apk, then are the PNGs supposed to be named the same (as original)?
    3. Are we supposed to use only 2 PNGs? Or can we use more than 2? (Since originally there's two PNGs)
  23. #23  

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas Froyo B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    Wow pretty amazing. Thank you, LeslieAnn
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas Froyo B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    Quote Originally Posted by ilikechicken123 View Post
    Ok. Yes its the animation. Of course people give this a try its made by a great dev (we try to follow your footsteps)

    So 3 quick questions about the boot animation.
    1. We need a bootanimation.zip in system/media? Or do we just edit framework-res.apk? Or both?
    2. If we have to edit framework-res.apk, then are the PNGs supposed to be named the same (as original)?
    3. Are we supposed to use only 2 PNGs? Or can we use more than 2? (Since originally there's two PNGs)
    1. If you use a bootanimation.zip in system/media, the framework files will not be seen. It's one or the other.
    2. the framework png's need to be exactly as they are, same name, same color depth... You can change the writing or colors, but don't go beyond that. changing size leads to some weird effects.
    3. Only the two.
    What happens is the lettering is clear, the color slides across behind it in a loop. You can create some pretty neat things for such a simple effect, but that is all you can do. If you want a nice animation sequence you will need to use the bootanimation.zip. Where you can build mini movies.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: [ROM] Aeneas Froyo B.Y.O.R. 13June12

    When I wrote this, I wasn't sure exactly how much info would be needed in the how to area, so as we go along, I will try to add to it.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions