Helping my sister....

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Quick intro here....

I have a Galaxy Nexus, rooted and ROMed.

I live in Canada, and my sister (who lives in Texas) has asked me to help her with her phone. She is constantly running out of internal memory. She says she has deleted un-needed stuff, and moved as much as possible to the SD card.

So to start off with (other then going full root/ROM) are there other options? Is it easy to root this phone? (I know my Gnex was super easy, but this could be different)

She's on 2.2.2, on Virgin. If you need more info let me know... I'm just looking for options, and hopefully as easy as possible, since I'll be doing this "remotely" rather then actual hands-on. I think rooting will be a last-ditch choice but it is an option if nothing else will help

I haven't done a lot of searching yet but I figured I'd just toss out a "help me" in the meantime. And thanks in advance for any help :)

terthii

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem with space. Rooting did fix it, but as long as you follow directions verbatim, it isn't hard at all and doesn't take too long.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I skimmed through it previously -- but I'll admit I didn't read it in-depth. I'm hoping for a fix that doesn't involve rooting, but if that's the only way to get her going, then I'll do it. Like I said, rooting would be the last resort -- if she's willing to go that route. Just exploring options at this point :)

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
There's no way to do it without rooting, this is just one of many other reasons that people root. Good luck finding an alternative to this, BUT I will say this, she should also know ALL the do's and don'ts of what you can and can't do once you are roote, and it would help if she had a friend that knows a little about rooted phones....more particularly someone who knows the optimus S U or V pretty well.

Sent from my Optimus M

Reactions: inceyet

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info and advice everyone! I sent her the link to LeslieAnne's sticky, as well as the article that convinced me to root my Gnex (just search Android Central for "don't panic") as I found it explained really well what can and can't be done with root (and it was in plain "noob" english, which I appreciated).

So we'll see... I guess at this point if she decides to go for it I'll be guiding her via Skype and hope for the best. I'm not to worried about her being able to follow directions or being able to do this, more worried about doing it "remote" rather then sitting there with her in person. I'm thinking IF she decides to go for it, we'll probably do it this weekend.

Hindolam

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
The way that worked best for me to get more space

1) Root the phone using Gingerbreak (pretty easy if it works)
2) Partition the SD card into two - the 2nd partition around 256MB
3) Install Link2SD
4) In Link2SD "Create Link" for all the apps to SD-EXT - 2nd partition created in step 2

In addition, I took the Aeneas ROM of Leslie Ann and stripped of all the apps that you do not need. For e.g I even removed the stock messaging app because i use Google Voice for all text and calls. My app drawer is minimalist and contains only the app that I use.

andrewnelson23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
If you root it, you might as well rom it! There are so many roms! Froyo, gingerbread, and ice cream sandwich roms, plenty to choose from! There is even a jelly bean released! (Very little functionality on that one, but it's early development :))

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info and advice everyone! I sent her the link to LeslieAnne's sticky, as well as the article that convinced me to root my Gnex (just search Android Central for "don't panic") as I found it explained really well what can and can't be done with root (and it was in plain "noob" english, which I appreciated)..

There are more things that shouldn't be done with a rooted Optimus V than any other phone. Don't factory reset, don't use ROM Manager. If she wants to return to stock or if she does brick, the guide is here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...-soft-bricked-optimus-v-return-zv5-stock.html
First post is to do either one, second post is an easier way to return to stock.

terthii

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Just follow the directions closely. I didn't know what the crap I was actually doing at the time when I rooted the phone, but I followed the directions and it worked out just fine! Good luck! :)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech