cannot root Optimus V

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
AHi all,
I have a VM670 VZ9.479A6632

I followed the [HOW-TO] root etc sticky using GingerBreak but running gingerbreak it just kept going for a while but failing to root the device. Eventually the program would quit, I left it on overnight but the device never rooted. (I enabled USB debugging and even installed the LG windows drivers)

So then I tried SuperOneClick several times without success. "CheckIfRooted..." boolean keeps returning False. CheckIfShellRooted returns false.

The console on the right posts the following output:

Code:
chmod 700 /data/local/tmp/psneuter > /data/local/tmp/output 2>&1
export TEMPRANDOM=36945
export PS1=END:$TEMPRANDOM;cat /data/local/tmp/output
Unable to chmod /data/local/tmp/psneuter: No such file or directory
END:36945export PS1=""

cd /data/local/tmp/ > /data/local/tmp/output 2>&1
export TEMPRANDOM=14516
export PS1=END:$TEMPRANDOM;cat /data/local/tmp/output
END:14516export PS1=""

export TEMPRANDOM=58171;export PS1=END:$TEMPRANDOM;./psneuter
export PS1=""
./psneuter: not found
END:58171

I have a feeling the unable to chmod means there's an issue in the script.

I'm trying gingersnap now but it's been going for several hours and nothing has changed, and it uses GingerBreak which was unsuccessful. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong here?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Update: apparently my PCs antivirus was removing the android exploits from superoneclick. After turning it off, it still doesn't work. At the ShellRoot part, it gets stuck on Step #5 "WaitForDevice" after multiple attempts. So still no gravy.

Nate456

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Superoneclick and gingerbreak won't work on the ZV9 baseband. Use the method Cole2kb linked.

Sent from my shole using Tapatalk 2

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
So I followed the directions to the T and got into CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5. The problem is when i try to use the "menu" button to make the "install zip from sdcard" section, I cannot make a selection. It goes to the hat with orange circular arrow background / home screen. I've found other people with this problem but no solution. How do I make a selection to actually select "Install zip from sdcard"?

Right now my phone is stuck

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Camera Button! I'm so bad... I've had the phone for a month and didn't even know it was there. My phone before it was a tiny nokia with a blue and white screen. I wasn't used to all these features.Thanks Cole, I owe you a coke, sir! :)

I got it rooted using that method once I found the mysterious camera button and installed the Bobzhome/IHO/CM mod thing. The gingerbread OS is fantastic and I have so much more room on the internal storage now that virgin's bloatware is gone, it's amazing.

Thanks to everyone who developed the hacks and roms, and thanks for the tips cole.

vm_760

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Have a quick question or two concerning those who have the zv9 update(not me..thank goodness)

Does zv9 have clockmod recovery?

If so is it possible to restore back to a pre-zv9 nandroid if you can get one?

Just trying to find out more info for the first time root attempters who are dealing with phones with zv9 from the factory or those who updated and are now trying to root.

Sent from my twice fried VM-670 using Quattrimus for life support

Phatninja55

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe that this phone comes stock with ZV9. Factory ships them out with ZV5 for newer models. ZV9 download was removed from virginmobileusa.com because of errors/fc's.

Other than that, zv9 roms will work on zv5/4 phones, zv5 rom will work on zv4, and zv4 will work on zv4.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Still no verification / information from Virgin on why the update was pulled. It could just as easily be because they were / are clearly planning to replace the V (see their newest phone, the Chaser.)

Recovery and ROM behavior isn't dependent on what baseband you have on the OV. They all work.

tli

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
... ZV9 download was removed from virginmobileusa.com because of errors/fc's.

Where's your source for this misinfo? I had no such "errors/fc's" problem at all with the VM's released download, and no issue whatsoever updating from ZV4 to ZV9 on my OV. There has only been one release from back in March, and it is the same version that is still available for download now at:

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/resources/update.zip

FYI.

vm_760

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess the main thing I was wanting to know was if someone on zv9 could restore back to zv5/zv4 using a nandroid backup..possible or not?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I think so. The only problem I can see you might have is losing root access because of the different process you have to go through on ZV9, but I have no idea. Although, if you're not on ZV9 now, and you get good reception, I see no reason for you to go through the process of updating in the first place.

tli

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I guess the main thing I was wanting to know was if someone on zv9 could restore back to zv5/zv4 using a nandroid backup..possible or not?

Not from a nandroid, since it doesn't change the baseband/radio version. However, there are guides on this forum and others with step-by-step procedure to switch back to the previous versions.

Reactions: vm_760

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Oh, my bad, I thought you were asking if you could use a nandroid from when you were running ZV4/5 on ZV9, not to restore the baseband, but just for general backup purposes.

Reactions: vm_760

tli

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh, my bad, I thought you were asking if you could use a nandroid from when you were running ZV4/5 on ZV9, not to restore the baseband, but just for general backup purposes.

Need to quantify this... not all ROMs that worked with ZV4/5 are compatible with ZV9... thus, nandroid backups of only 'ZV-9 compatible' kernels/ROMs are interoperable between the various baseband versions. FYI.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
If the OP is running a current version of any maintained ROM we have on our forums now and upgrades to ZV9, he should be fine. There are no "ZV9 only" kernels / ROMs. There were compatibility issues with ZV9 on kernels developed with ZV4/5 back in May when the update was released, but have since been solved in all of our ROMs.

tli

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Not all... BACKside (latest version 05022012), that runs fine on a ZV4/5, is incompatible with ZV9 as-is. Using nandroids of any existing versions of BACKside with ZV9 requires an updated kernel that's ZV9-compatible. No?

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Maybe, but I wouldn't consider a ROM who's last update was in May as a currently maintained ROM referenced in my post either. vm_670, what ROM are you wanting to hopefully restore to after the update?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay