Using a firewall app with ICS/CM9

Gpd54

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm not able to connect to the Internet (wifi or 3g) when using Droidwall or Avast firewalls. I've successfully used them on several Gingerbread builds, but now that I'm trying Quattrimus CM9 neither firewall allows web connectivity to the Internet (unless I allow all, which defeats the purpose of using a firewall).

In Gingerbread you just need to allow the Browser process in order to connect to the Internet. In ICS is this handled differently? ...meaning...is Internet (web) access controlled by more than just the Browser process?

Thanks!

Gpd54

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Update: I can eventually connect when using a firewall app, but my throughput seems to drop significantly. Just saw a post elsewhere of someone also reporting same problem with ICS. It works fine on GB roms I've used.

Gpd54

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
A firewall is not used to block viruses. It is used to block network traffic.

Linux actually has a built-in firewall (iptables), which I believe Android also uses. The apps I mentioned are just front-end interfaces for simple configuration of that firewall.

A firewall is useful for keeping unwanted traffic from getting into your phone (a handheld computer with lots of personal info on it), and also for keeping unwanted traffic from exiting your phone (i.e. preventing an app from sending traffic).