Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] Unbrick/Upgrade Optimus V [EASY] [KDZ]

OMG! I decided to try the directions in the original thread [Custom Recovery] Xionia Clockwork (CWMA v1.2518.6) (using adb shell) instead of the one you gave me http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-a...ml#post2904142 (using phone's recovery screen) and it rebooted right into the phone! Thank you so much!

Now, when I want to do a factory reset (getting the phone back to original everything), do you think it would be best to apply the VM Update Package http://forums.androidcentral.com/ext...252Fupdate.zip again, then root as per [ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jcase!!? Or is there a better method?

Carrier
    Quattrimus CM9

Quote Originally Posted by tomtwo78 View Post
    OMG! I decided to try the directions in the original thread [Custom Recovery] Xionia Clockwork (CWMA v1.2518.6) (using adb shell) instead of the one you gave me http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-a...ml#post2904142 (using phone's recovery screen) and it rebooted right into the phone! Thank you so much!

Now, when I want to do a factory reset (getting the phone back to original everything), do you think it would be best to apply the VM Update Package http://forums.androidcentral.com/ext...252Fupdate.zip again, then root as per [ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jcase!!? Or is there a better method?
    You don't have to apply that update. It's actually been recommended by virgin not to now because a lot of people have reported it killing their data speeds. I applied it on mine and ended up going back to zv5 I had on it originally...but if you wanted to try it, then you need to apply the update first, then root. Otherwise you can just skip it and go ahead and root.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by strabo231 View Post
    You don't have to apply that update. It's actually been recommended by virgin not to now because a lot of people have reported it killing their data speeds. I applied it on mine and ended up going back to zv5 I had on it originally...but if you wanted to try it, then you need to apply the update first, then root. Otherwise you can just skip it and go ahead and root.
    Then I should use [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM to root and will the custom recovery factory reset restore everything to factory (except rooted)? Or should I use How to restore your Optimus V to almost original condition then root again through the first link? Or is there a better method to restore to factory? I'm a little OCD and like to be able to start from scratch regularly. Thanks!

Carrier
    Quattrimus CM9

Then I should use [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM to root and will the custom recovery factory reset restore everything to factory (except rooted)? Or should I use How to restore your Optimus V to almost original condition then root again through the first link? Or is there a better method to restore to factory? I'm a little OCD and like to be able to start from scratch regularly. Thanks!
    If you are wanting to root and install a custom rom, and you are not going to upgrade to zv9, all you need to do is root and flash the recovery. If you truly restore your phone to stock that is also going to mean putting a stock recovery back on the phone which will also unroot. Unless you don't want root or you don't want a custom rom, restoring to factory first is just causing you to do everything twice, and there is really no benefit to that, and its also unnecessary. So basically just follow that first guide and then put whatever rom you want on the phone. Just skip the part about trying to restore stock...like I said, it is not a necessary step, and its kind of a waste of time in this instance. I don't know which baseband you have on the phone now, but gingerbreak May not work, in which case you will need a pc and superoneclick.

Baseband Version: VM670ZV5_60401001

I don't necessarily care about a custom Recovery or ROM (unless there's one that provides on-the-fly encryption of the SD Card), I just want to Root to be able to get rid of bloatware I won't be using and save space on the internal storage using Link2SD. First time, I Rooted via [How-To] Root the LG Optimus V - is that better for me to use? I'm looking for a safe, not too complex, way to Root, Restore (including stock stuff I may want to use again), and repeat as my OCD deems necessary. Thanks again!

Carrier
    Quattrimus CM9

Baseband Version: VM670ZV5_60401001

I don't necessarily care about a custom Recovery or ROM (unless there's one that provides on-the-fly encryption of the SD Card), I just want to Root to be able to get rid of bloatware I won't be using and save space on the internal storage using Link2SD. First time, I Rooted via [How-To] Root the LG Optimus V - is that better for me to use? I'm looking for a safe, not too complex, way to Root, Restore (including stock stuff I may want to use again), and repeat as my OCD deems necessary. Thanks again!
    No, you need Gingerbreak. You are running ZV5. Superoneclick will only work with ZV4. If you want a stock rom, I would actually suggest finding the third stock version. It's exactly what came with the phone, but minus all the bloatware and other unnecessary items. That's probably your best bet. That way you can be sure you aren't removing something that needs to be on the phone, as there are s few Google apps that need to stay in order for android to function properly. Actually I'd also suggest that you go ahead and apply a custom recovery as well...makes backup and restore a little easier, and also will save you some steps later if you change your mind about a rom. Just makes various installations easier in general.

Quote Originally Posted by strabo231 View Post
    No, you need Gingerbreak. You are running ZV5. Superoneclick will only work with ZV4. If you want a stock rom, I would actually suggest finding the third stock version. It's exactly what came with the phone, but minus all the bloatware and other unnecessary items. That's probably your best bet. That way you can be sure you aren't removing something that needs to be on the phone, as there are s few Google apps that need to stay in order for android to function properly. Actually I'd also suggest that you go ahead and apply a custom recovery as well...makes backup and restore a little easier, and also will save you some steps later if you change your mind about a rom. Just makes various installations easier in general.
    So I should Root and install custom Recovery as per [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM, right? Can you link me to the ROM you're talking about? I've been unable to find it.

Carrier
    Quattrimus CM9

So I should Root and install custom Recovery as per [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM, right? Can you link me to the ROM you're talking about? I've been unable to find it.
    Yeah for the recovery you really can't get any easier than that. The rom I'll dig up for you. Might take a few, but I'll get it

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the link where you'll find the stock modified froyo rom. http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-a...ck-virgin.html
    anon631962 likes this.

kdz fw updater says my phone was not found in the log bog

Carrier
    Quattrimus CM9

Quote Originally Posted by cammie199510 View Post
    kdz fw updater says my phone was not found in the log bog
    Kdz? What are you using that for exactly? Since you aren't doing an upgrade or a restoration, you don't need it. Do you have a custom recovery? If you don't just get one on the phone before you worry about the rom and you won't even need to mess anything else. You'll be able to install the rom using the recovery

i follow step by step but isnt working for my optimus my v doesnt boot black screen with LG logo cant renember how i brick can some one tell me whats this ::: please ...error was runin for hr till i unplug here picture sorry for the size of pix

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by sammyz View Post
    All of you may or may not know about my KP500 unbrick method, but this one will replace my unbrick and upgrade/downgrade/return to stock methods. Why? Because this is 100x more easier than KP500 and 10x more easier than LGNPST. These are somewhat the same directions is in the readme file that I included in the single download that contains everything you need.

This may not fully unbrick your phone in certain circumstances (neither will KP500). In such cases, please PM me.

DO NOT USE THIS TO RETURN TO ZV5 IF YOU ARE RUNNING ZVD/ZVJ FIRMWARE.

Download this: Unbrick OV KDZ.rar

Unbrick directions:
    1. Install Drivers (LGUnitedMobileDriver_S4981MAN37AP22_ML_WHQL_Ver_3.7.2)>Reboot
    2. Install MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (msxml.msi)
    3. Connect phone in emergency mode (Phone off> Volume Down + Back key + plug in USB)
    4. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
    5. Select ZV5.kdz
    6. In "type", choose 3GQCT
    7. In Phonemode, choose EMERGENCY
    8. Click Launch software update
    9. Wait for the error to come up
    10. Press OK
    11. Unplug phone, pull battery, reindeer battery, press power button, reinsert usb cable.
    12. Click Launch software update
    13. This time it won't error, you will be unbricked.
    14. Enjoy

Upgrade/Downgrade/Return to stock directions:
    1. Install Drivers, Reboot
    2. Install MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (msxml.msi)
    3. Connect phone in recovery mode (Phone off> Volume Down + Home key)(This will not work with certain recoveries, in that case you will need your MSL code here and then dial ##PORT# and enter MSL code (aka SPC code))
    4. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
    5. Select ZV5.kdz
    6. In type, choose 3GQCT
    7. In Phonemode, choose DIAG
    8. Click Launch software update
    9. Enjoy

If you get a bootloop after any of these methods above, go into recovery, factory reset, reboot.

If you get a blackscreen while trying to access recovery and can't boot up, redo unbrick method. After that you will most likely still get a blackscreen recovery, but it boots. In that case, just flash another custom recovery. DO NOT FACTORY RESET from privacy menu. PM me if you need stock recovery on it.

Like my work?
    Donate here
    hey sammy, I'm kind of a noob, so I apologize if I do come off as that..

But this i for Optimus V right? I want to root my phone, the model number is VM670, Version 2.2.2, HW version 1.2..

Is this the right place to root it?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #63  

Carrier
    OV:quattrimus OM:BACKside

Quote Originally Posted by TaylordKris View Post
    hey sammy, I'm kind of a noob, so I apologize if I do come off as that..

But this i for Optimus V right? I want to root my phone, the model number is VM670, Version 2.2.2, HW version 1.2..

Is this the right place to root it?
    This is in case you brick (screw up phone). Not to root.

Sent from my Optimus S running VM670ZV5 on MetroPCS.

You just literally saved my life. Thank you sooooooooo much.

yo can anyone help , me lg optiums v stuck in A BOOTLOOp my noob @ss dont know how to fix it can someone help me plzs thank you.

Carrier
    Changes Daily

Quote Originally Posted by davidR420 View Post
    yo can anyone help , me lg optiums v stuck in A BOOTLOOp my noob @ss dont know how to fix it can someone help me plzs thank you.
    Get the xionia zip clod linked you to in your other post flash it from recovery, reboot to recovery, go to advanced and choose fix boot loop and reboot

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Ok, My OV will not boot up, will not go into emergency mode, nor will it go into recovery mode. Every time i try to attempt to fix it, it goes to a complete blue screen. Is there anyway to unbrick it, without using emergency/recovery mode?? Thanks in advance!
    tgp

Global Posts
    4,411 Global Posts

Depending on what happened, recovery might not be possible.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    tgp

Global Posts
    4,411 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chasingsun123 View Post
    Ok, My OV will not boot up, will not go into emergency mode, nor will it go into recovery mode. Every time i try to attempt to fix it, it goes to a complete blue screen. Is there anyway to unbrick it, without using emergency/recovery mode?? Thanks in advance!
    This happened to me once; the solution turned out to be rather simple. I called Virgin Mobile Customer Service, they created an RMA, sent me a replacement, and I sent them the bricked phone. Problem solved!

However, before I called I tried everything to resurrect mine. I couldn't.

how long does step 3 actually take? its been like this for awhile
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #71  

Carrier
    OV:quattrimus OM:BACKside

Quote Originally Posted by vinceeze1 View Post
    how long does step 3 actually take? its been like this for awhile
    .......follow the other steps....it DOESN'T do ANYTHING automatically!

my optimus v goes into fastboot when i boot it im able to go to recovery will this fix my problem

Carrier
    Changes Daily

Quote Originally Posted by Getbeanies View Post
    my optimus v goes into fastboot when i boot it im able to go to recovery will this fix my problem
    Stock recovery or a custom recovery? If it's a custom recovery try flashing a rom if it's stock try the zv9 update.zip it sounds like your system partition got wiped.

Tapatalk'n it from my Cold As Ice VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware

i dont know how i did it but i think i have a custom recovery. its called xionia recovery and i dont know how to flash a rom also. do i put into sd card and install zip from sd card?

Carrier
    mrg666's gb rom

Quote Originally Posted by Getbeanies View Post
    i dont know how i did it but i think i have a custom recovery. its called xionia recovery and i dont know how to flash a rom also. do i put into sd card and install zip from sd card?
    [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM
    This should help. You don't need the recovery that's in the op you can use anyone you like

Sent from my VM670 using Android Central Forums
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast