Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
Like Tree31Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] Unbrick/Upgrade Optimus V [EASY] [KDZ]

Andy, you are a genius! It seems that wiping all of the partitions from fastboot was the key! I reflashed zv5 after wiping and the phone came up, screen working and all! Wow, this is great! Now I can get a good recovery on the phone.
    Thanked by 2:
    AndyOpie150 and thewraith420 like this.

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

My bad. I forgot to look at the log you posted.

EDIT: Got seriously ninja'd. Slow connection.
    Alllriiight! Glade to see you got it figured out.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by AndyOpie150; 12-30-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Changes Daily

Quote Originally Posted by yaconsult View Post
    Andy, you are a genius! It seems that wiping all of the partitions from fastboot was the key! I reflashed zv5 after wiping and the phone came up, screen working and all! Wow, this is great! Now I can get a good recovery on the phone.
    Glad to hear things are looking better :-)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

I do not seem to have a good recovery as I get nothing but the LG logo even with droid@screen.

I have run gingerbreak and have root so I'm going to try flashing skinbark's latest recovery from the kitkat thread.

Yes, I have a working recovery! You guys are terrific - thanks for all the help. Corruption of the filesystem seems to have been causing all the problems and wiping then from fastboot finally allowed me to get a good reflash of the original software. Never again will I attempt to flash a new recovery when running an alpha rom with boot issues - I learned my lesson!
    Last edited by yaconsult; 12-30-2013 at 03:04 PM.

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

Glad to see you got everything working.
    Rule of thumb: You can flash any recovery you want as long as you have a Good ROM. You can flash any ROM you want as long as you have a Good Recovery. Not a good idea to try to flash a untested recovery while having a ROM installed that's being tested and is in the Alpha or Beta stage.

Note: For those that might have the same problem in the future and look thru this thread, could you explain what you had to do in order to give the phone fastboot commands with a ZV5 phone.
    Thanked by:
    yaconsult likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyOpie150 View Post
    Glad to see you got everything working.
    Rule of thumb: You can flash any recovery you want as long as you have a Good ROM. You can flash any ROM you want as long as you have a Good Recovery. Not a good idea to try to flash a untested recovery while having a ROM installed that's being tested and is in the Alpha or Beta stage.

Note: For those that might have the same problem in the future and look thru this thread, could you explain what you had to do in order to give the phone fastboot commands with a ZV5 phone.
    Well, it's not real clear. The screen was not working on the phone. I started it in recovery mode with home-vol down-power. Screen still black. Plugged it into my Linux system. Tried fastboot devices and it returned some - even though it just had question marks for the device - it saw it. So I used the fastboot commands you gave to format the filesystems. Now, couldn't I have done the same thing with adb shell and formatted the filesystems one by one?

Also, what is the best way to extract and save the information unique to the phone that might be needed for unbricking the hard way? The stuff you said was needed to get the radio working again after some forms of recovery. I'm thinking that it's a good time to do that for both my phones.
    Last edited by yaconsult; 12-30-2013 at 06:45 PM.

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

I know adb will work, but you really have to be super specific. Instead of erase system you would have to tell it to format a specific mntblock #so and so.
    I don't at this time know the specific adb code or the mntblock #'s of all the partitions.

Yes you can flash seperate partitions, but you have to make a backup and be able to figure out how to extract the images for each partition.

I have an unlocked bootloader on both phones, so I never gave it much thought.
    When you have it figured out, write up a tutorial.

Thanked by:

ROM
    Changes Daily

In short... Run lgnpst and collect a nvs file and run qpst to save a qcn file.....

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

Quote Originally Posted by thewraith420 View Post
    In short... Run lgnpst and collect a nvs file and run qpst to save a qcn file.....

Cool. That sounds pretty easy.

ROM
    Changes Daily

Quote Originally Posted by AndyOpie150 View Post
    Cool. That sounds pretty easy.

Well, you seen the rough draft guide I wrote. Those are the 2 files that are phone specific. Once those files are in hand you're free to flash bin files in lgnpst via emergency mode. Because flashing the nvs, and then qcn will restore all NV items

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

Now that you brought it up (I totally forgot), how is that tutorial coming along.

I have been looking how to save the phone-specific information and it seems the easiest way to get the info is to use the free CDMAdevterm from .

Here is a video someone made on how to use it:

What I figured out is that for our phones that already have recoveries installed and custom roms, putting the phone into the cwm recovery mode by powering on with with home-volume down-power allows CDMAdevterm to communicate with the phone. Watch the video and try it with your phone. Only push the READ buttons to get the information! If you push the write button to make changes to your phone - you are on your own!

Could some others try it and verify that it works for you?

Now what information might be needed to recover a phone?

1. MEID/ESN
    2. MDN
    3. MIN
    4. SPC

Anything else?

Hmmm, this works fine with my old phone with the bobz recovery: RA-thunderc-v-1.2.0-GNM. However, with my recently-recovered phone running cwm v6.0.4.6 the same program doesn't seem to be able to talk to the phone. Not sure what the issue is yet.
    Last edited by yaconsult; 12-31-2013 at 10:45 PM.

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

The most important of all is the AAA code. Without it no Data service.
    You will need the MSL for it to work.
    thewraith420 knows how to get the info saved properly so it can be used later.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Changes Daily

You'll either need to be on stock Rom, use stock recovery, use xionia recovery or, cot 2.1 recovery to use the cdma programming tools required. If doing it from stock Rom then in the dialer you'll need to hit ##PORT# and as Andy said you'll need your msl

Thanked by:
    AndyOpie150 likes this.

Can you clarify something for me? All of the videos I see of getting the AAA code are using the stock VM software. Does this work or is there another way to extract the information from phones that are already rooted, have recoveries and versions of cyanogenmod installed? Or is the only way to extract the information by returning to the stock Virgin software? I am able to see some information with DFS, but nothing that looks like the AAA code.

Ah, I see thewraith420 already answered my question! Thanks!

OK, I think I've got it. I was able to get the SPC/lock code with cdmadevterm along with the meid/esn. For the AAA, I had to use DFS CDMA Tool v.3.1.0.1 and Andy pointed me to it being on the Mobile IP tab. I had to click on the second profile which was the first one with green for me. And, finally, THERE are my AAA and HA Shared Secrets!

I have recorded the following, is there anything else I might need to restore from a hard brick?

1. NAI
    2. AAA
    3. HA
    4. SPC
    5. ESN
    6. MEID
    Last edited by yaconsult; 01-01-2014 at 02:16 PM.

This is interesting. When I hooked my daily phone with the old recovery (ra-thunderc-v-1.2.0-gnm) up to usb I was able to get all the info I posted above. This phone is zv4.

But when I plugged in my testing phone, I couldn't get any of it. cdmadevterm saw something on the port but it was unknown. I can switch the cable between the two phones - one comes up and the other doesn't.

So I thought it might be because the testing phone had a different recovery on it for the kitkat testing - 6.0.4.6. Since the testing phone is zv5, I couldn't install that old recovery on it so instead installed cwm v4.0.1.5. But that didn't change the result.

In both cases, I have the phones in recovery mode while plugging them into usb and trying to access them with cdmadevterm and lgnpst and dfs.

I suppose I could try putting mirage on the testing phone and seeing if I could switch phones on my account to it to see if it's still a working phone. Has anyone run into this situation? Is it because of zv4 vs zv5?

ROM
    Changes Daily

Install this recovery and use it for your cdma programs

It's cot 2.1 you can also use it for all roms before kitkat

Thanked by 2:
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567