[GUIDE] Unbrick/Upgrade Optimus V [EASY] [KDZ]

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
All of you may or may not know about my KP500 unbrick method, but this one will replace my unbrick and upgrade/downgrade/return to stock methods. Why? Because this is 100x more easier than KP500 and 10x more easier than LGNPST. These are somewhat the same directions is in the readme file that I included in the single download that contains everything you need.

This may not fully unbrick your phone in certain circumstances (neither will KP500). In such cases, please PM me.

DO NOT USE THIS TO RETURN TO ZV5 IF YOU ARE RUNNING ZVD/ZVJ FIRMWARE.

Download this: Unbrick OV KDZ.rar

Unbrick directions:
  1. Install Drivers (LGUnitedMobileDriver_S4981MAN37AP22_ML_WHQL_Ver_3.7.2)>Reboot
  2. Install MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (msxml.msi)
  3. Connect phone in emergency mode (Phone off> Volume Down + Back key + plug in USB)
  4. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
  5. Select ZV5.kdz
  6. In "type", choose 3GQCT
  7. In Phonemode, choose EMERGENCY
  8. Click Launch software update
  9. Wait for the error to come up
  10. Press OK
  11. Unplug phone, pull battery, reindeer battery, press power button, reinsert usb cable.
  12. Click Launch software update
  13. This time it won't error, you will be unbricked.
  14. Enjoy :D

Upgrade/Downgrade/Return to stock directions:
  1. Install Drivers, Reboot
  2. Install MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (msxml.msi)
  3. Connect phone in recovery mode (Phone off> Volume Down + Home key)(This will not work with certain recoveries, in that case you will need your MSL code here and then dial ##PORT# and enter MSL code (aka SPC code))
  4. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
  5. Select ZV5.kdz
  6. In type, choose 3GQCT
  7. In Phonemode, choose DIAG
  8. Click Launch software update
  9. Enjoy :D

If you get a bootloop after any of these methods above, go into recovery, factory reset, reboot.

If you get a blackscreen while trying to access recovery and can't boot up, redo unbrick method. After that you will most likely still get a blackscreen recovery, but it boots. In that case, just flash another custom recovery. DO NOT FACTORY RESET from privacy menu. PM me if you need stock recovery on it.

Like my work?
Donate here :D

Last edited:

jlerma90

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey sammyz it appears that I can't get data on the optimus v you helped me unbrick is there a fix?

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Android Central Forums

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I permanently bricked my optimus V -_- ........
someone's donating an optimus S now :D

Last edited:

Anonymo

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Sammy, thanks for all your work.

I have a question. I had "bricked" my brother's phone and used your guide to unbrick it. But now he can't really overclock, at all. His phone will just restart at 729mhz. At 600 it's okay. Do you think this is because I bricked it and restored it or because I updated to zv9.

I have a phone and it's running great with zv9.

xxhomiegxx

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
My OV was stuck on the VM logo at boot, and i couldn't get into the custom recovery menu because of black screen.

I followed the steps to unbrick, and got to step 12. At this point it looked like things were going well but the log kept saying "step complete" every 2 seconds for over an hour. I tried to close the program and it wasn't responding. I tried to turn my phone on again and it just goes straight to "downloading is in progress do not disconnect" (even when it's not plugged in.

Help!

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Sammy, thanks for all your work.

I have a question. I had "bricked" my brother's phone and used your guide to unbrick it. But now he can't really overclock, at all. His phone will just restart at 729mhz. At 600 it's okay. Do you think this is because I bricked it and restored it or because I updated to zv9.

I have a phone and it's running great with zv9.

Not all phones were created the same, some can overclock, some can't.

My OV was stuck on the VM logo at boot, and i couldn't get into the custom recovery menu because of black screen.

I followed the steps to unbrick, and got to step 12. At this point it looked like things were going well but the log kept saying "step complete" every 2 seconds for over an hour. I tried to close the program and it wasn't responding. I tried to turn my phone on again and it just goes straight to "downloading is in progress do not disconnect" (even when it's not plugged in.

Help!

Try unbricking again.

saves

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
[*]Connect phone in recovery mode (Phone off> Volume Down + Home key)(This will not work with certain recoveries, in that case you will need your MSL code here and then dial ##PORT# and enter MSL code (aka SPC code))

I'm stuck here. I have a V running Quattrimus ICS I bought on ebay, and I can not activate it apparently unless I revert it to stock(ESN already cleared with vm). But volume down + home does not work, also tried back as it says in readme file, I was able to get the MSL/SPC code via the cdma google app but typing ##7678# (PORT) does not do anything, if I hit dial it tries to call it, says svc is not active. The same thing when I was typing to do the ##847446# when trying to activate, which led me to finding out I needed to get off the custom rom. I do not know much about this stuff which is why I bought it on there, wrong move apparently. I'll just leave it stock if I can ever get it back. Says baseband version VM670ZV4 if that matters, any ideas?

Phatninja55

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm stuck here. I have a V running Quattrimus ICS I bought on ebay, and I can not activate it apparently unless I revert it to stock(ESN already cleared with vm). But volume down + home does not work, also tried back as it says in readme file, I was able to get the MSL/SPC code via the cdma google app but typing ##7678# (PORT) does not do anything, if I hit dial it tries to call it, says svc is not active. The same thing when I was typing to do the ##847446# when trying to activate, which led me to finding out I needed to get off the custom rom. I do not know much about this stuff which is why I bought it on there, wrong move apparently. I'll just leave it stock if I can ever get it back. Says baseband version VM670ZV4 if that matters, any ideas?

Quattrimus has the port open by defualt no need to type ##port#. Just skip opeing the port and continue.

saves

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so ran the program, everything seemed fine the phone restarted and had the LG logo said do not disconnect cable while downloading. Then it finished and an error popped up:
"Upgrade Error"
"WParam: 100"
"LParam: 67"

now its looping on "andriod"

How do I go into recovery, as stated in OP if that happens. The holding volume down and home is not working (neither is back)
--
edit: okay got that going, into recovery mode, did a wipe and its booted up woot thanks

Last edited:

scbbc81

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
This made my phone even more broken :( I can't even get into the factory reset data wipe screen now.

The KDZ_FW_UPD.exe just kept trying to write rom over and over again, it went on doing that for an hour, I had to pull the cable and battery.

Now if I try to use it again I get
Error

Every time even when following the instructions in OP

The phone is stuck in the emergency down load screen, even when it's not plugged in and after many battery pulls.

Is it just hopelessly broken now, or can it still be fixed in some way.

Phatninja55

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
This made my phone even more broken :( I can't even get into the factory reset data wipe screen now.

The KDZ_FW_UPD.exe just kept trying to write rom over and over again, it went on doing that for an hour, I had to pull the cable and battery.

Now if I try to use it again I get
Error

Every time even when following the instructions in OP

The phone is stuck in the emergency down load screen, even when it's not plugged in and after many battery pulls.

Is it just hopelessly broken now, or can it still be fixed in some way.

Just keep trying this. Or you may have to use my method. Witch is long and sometimes confusing.