Fixing Virgin MMS for ported roms

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Because every other week I get someone asking how to do this... Here you guys go.

Note:
I did not create this, Jerryscript and Brooksyx (XDA) are the ones who figured it out.
The pre-patched files are their work, not mine.

VERY Important! / WARNING!!!
This NEVER has worked with Sense, don't even ask, I won't respond.
This usually only works with CM7 and CM9.
It will occasionally work on AOKP, but rarely with AOSP. When it does with either, expect the rom to become unstable after 24-36 hours. By unstable, I mean you cannot open anything without it locking up or rebooting. No I cannot fix it.

I spent $300 on a phone so I didn't have to deal with this mess, I don't want to keep doing this for people, so no, I won't do it for you. This method works on very few roms so don't expect miracles. I went from a ported Evo 4g to an Evo V so I didn't have to deal with constant patching and unstable roms. The first time I needed a phone in an emergency, the rom became unstable on me because of this very patch. BEWARE.

If none of this works, you are on your own.
Also, don't expect a walk through on decompressing framework.jar, if you can't find out how, you probably won't be able to make this work anyhow. As simple as this seems, very few people seem to get it right and even after explaining it, many still ask me to do it for them, it took me 3 times to get it right.

I'll start with the hard part, the part that usually ends your chances at pulling this off.
First off you need a compatible file, the cdmasmsdispatcher file can be pulled from a working CM7 or CM9 rom, CM7 and CM9 have changed some lately, so this method may or may no longer work. At the end, you will find working CM7 and CM9 files, however, these are older and may or may not be helpful.

In the new rom, if you can't find this file, you are out of luck and will need to find an alternate method, because even if you find cdmasmsdispatcher, replacing it will only lead to a force close since it won't be compatible.

You can find the cdmasmsdispatcher in inside system/framework/framework.jar. You will need to decompress framework.jar and then locate the cdmasmsdispatcher file. Usually it is located at "\classout\com\android\internal\telephony\cdma" or something similar. Replace this with your donor file and recompile it.

Don't even try with Sense, all attempts have failed. Yes we used files from the Wildfire, including apns, cdmadispatcher, and mms apk's. Forget it, you WILL have to modify code to make it work, there is no simple way of just swapping files. Do not ask. We went down this road on XDA several times, it WILL NOT WORK. I won't even respond to it. Been there, done that, not doing it again. Unless you can code, you will NOT get it to work.

Next is the APNS file (system/etc/apns-conf.xml)
Change the main config line (and nothing else) to:
<apn name="SPG" numeric="31000" mcc="310" mnc="00" apn="1" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?" type="mms" />

Note: If you lack this file, you may be able to use a app to change it.
Getting it into a rom however, is on you.

Last and easiest, you need to change the build.prop
CDMA_CARRIER_ALPHA := Sprint
CDMA_CARRIER_NUMERIC := 310120
To:
CDMA_CARRIER_ALPHA := Virgin_Mobile
CDMA_CARRIER_NUMERIC := 311490

ThatGuyLurkin

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't work for cm10 either. Least it didn't when I tried.

Edit: that's not entirely true. It did work, it just broke outgoing sms.

So can you send SMS?(EDIT: I MEANT MMS!)

And you should add the part Gannon said. Replace the whole CDMA folder if you get a Phone FC.

It wouldn't work on any AOSP from because the CDMAdispatcher isn't inside the CDMA folder. Its outside it in the Telephony folder.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I think I was one of the people that brought this thread on ;)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Leslie! And sorry I bugged you about this :rolleyes:
Like I said, every other week I get asked either how or to do it for someone, so it was far from just you both.

I just got tired of people asking about (and re-typing it over and over) and decided to just put it out where people can find it.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
In my kool- Blue_2.3.3 thread asadullah posted a possible way to decompile the framework.jar into source code... I'm not good with source anyway but it could be a lead that could help someone figure it out.

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running Kool-Blue_2.3.3 on LS670ZVJ Baseband

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
In my kool- Blue_2.3.3 thread asadullah posted a possible way to decompile the framework.jar into source code... I'm not good with source anyway but it could be a lead that could help someone figure it out.

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running Kool-Blue_2.3.3 on LS670ZVJ Baseband

That's based on rukin's "how I port" guide.

Sent from my LG-LW690 using Tapatalk 2

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
hey guys. i've been playing with trying to get mms working in my kool-blue rom and had some limited success using Mobster Rom from the optimus slider to pull files from. i chose it because it's a virgin mobile non-cm based gingerbread rom. the cdmaSMSdispacher is in the right place in /com/android/internal/telephony/ i've been able to get sms receiveing sending and mms sending to work with it by pulling files from the mobster framework.jar. i'm not asking for help but if anyone were interested in messing around with this with me i thought i'd post what i've been trying.

Badboytoast

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
hey guys. i've been playing with trying to get mms working in my kool-blue rom and had some limited success using Mobster Rom from the optimus slider to pull files from. i chose it because it's a virgin mobile non-cm based gingerbread rom. the cdmaSMSdispacher is in the right place in /com/android/internal/telephony/ i've been able to get sms receiveing sending and mms sending to work with it by pulling files from the mobster framework.jar. i'm not asking for help but if anyone were interested in messing around with this with me i thought i'd post what i've been trying.
I hope thatguylurking reads this! Ian positive he might be of some big help! :) that I know of! Best of luck! :D

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: thewraith420

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
hmm i wonder if i'd see anything different if i used apktool to work with... i've been extracting the classes.dex from framework.jar and using avaboxv2 to decompile it to smali. its the method i found to replace the cdmaSMSdispacher.smali

Reactions: Badboytoast

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Using the cdmaSMSdispacher from mobster broke it initially. Until I pulled over a few more files

Edit: ok i'm trying to remember what ones i moved.. lol i still havent quit messing with it. if you or anyone else is interested i'll upload my new framework.jar

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running Kool-Blue_2.3.3_V2.3 on LS670ZVJ Baseband

Last edited:

slickestsauce

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi leslie;

I'm using APN manager pro to alter my APN settings according to this:
Generic Virgin settings:
<apn type="mms" apn="0" mnc="490" mcc="311" carrier="Virgin Mobile US" mmsport="81" mmsproxy="205.239.233.136" mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?" port=""/>

Which is something I'd found you wrote over at phandroid, but it doesn't look like that's all the fields - is port (and all the ones not mentioned) supposed to be left blank? My MNC was/is at 00. Also, I don't have a "carrier" field.

For reference I've just upgraded to mirage's CM7.2 IHO. My previous CM was 18 months outdated and MMS didn't work on it anyway. I full-wiped and reinstalled the new rom a half dozen times before I was sure MMS wasn't working.

Optimus V

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi leslie;
I'm using APN manager pro to alter my APN settings according to this:

Which is something I'd found you wrote over at phandroid, but it doesn't look like that's all the fields - is port (and all the ones not mentioned) supposed to be left blank? My MNC was/is at 00. Also, I don't have a "carrier" field.

For reference I've just upgraded to mirage's CM7.2 IHO. My previous CM was 18 months outdated and MMS didn't work on it anyway. I full-wiped and reinstalled the new rom a half dozen times before I was sure MMS wasn't working.

This fix doesn't work on everything, even when you do everything right.
As for the settings, I have used those settings on various phones and it works. Virgin inconsistent as to what they put in the APNS.

droiddekka

May 13, 2012
Visit site
will this method fix teamdirt's JB AOKP port?

i can send mms, but not receive...

is outgoing mms broken on jb roms in general?

how much of this is straight up virgin mobile's fault?