Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree336Likes

ROM
    BobZ CM10 JB

Default Re: [ROM][WIP]CM10.0.0-RC0-BobZ

Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    I just install it myself lol
    I basically went into the lastest update (using winRAR), remove LatinIME.apk (the 24mb one), then replaced it with the 2mb one you packaged before and that does the trick in regards to saving space for gapps. Hopefully BobZ can push that in the next update. Zakman's medium jb gapps works great on this rom

EDIT: So is anyone else noticing when you get a text notification in the status bar, after the text animates out of the bar it leaves a white trail kinda like animation lag? Just wondering if it is just me

ROM
    CM10/BobzHome's 4.1

Quote Originally Posted by YoshinJaa View Post
    I basically went into the lastest update (using winRAR), remove LatinIME.apk (the 24mb one), then replaced it with the 2mb one you packaged before and that does the trick in regards to saving space for gapps. Hopefully BobZ can push that in the next update. Zakman's medium jb gapps works great on this rom

EDIT: So is anyone else noticing when you get a text notification in the status bar, after the text animates out of the bar it leaves a white trail kinda like animation lag? Just wondering if it is just me
    For that lag, it may never be fixed. we need those openMAX drivers for ics and those they arnt releasing.

ROM
    BobZ CM10 JB

For that lag, it may never be fixed. we need those openMAX drivers for ics and those they arnt releasing.
    Understood. Just wondering if I was the only one experiencing that. Thought I screwed up somewhere lol

I don't know why I'm the only one with the problem of calls going straight to voicemail. I know it's not much help but I thought I'd say... I don't think it's a problem in the kernel. Just switched to Zakman's Jelly Alpha 7 and it works fine in that.

Unfortunately, my home button did not work with the newest update. I also, for some reason, did not have any play store. I installed the GApps in the OP. My browser also would not open. Any ideas?
    Themer. You've seen them

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by sellersj27 View Post
    Unfortunately, my home button did not work with the newest update. I also, for some reason, did not have any play store. I installed the GApps in the OP. My browser also would not open. Any ideas?
    There isn't enough room for gapps. You need to delete stuff and modify the gapps to fit.

I was stating to write a long detailed explanation of the problems I was having flashing this ROM, replacing 85mb LatinIME with the 2mb LatinIME, flashing, blah blah blah, when i suddenly realized I forgot to disable signature verification in recovery. Now everything flashes with no problem and I have Gapps. If you're a ditz like me and having trouble flashing and getting Gapps, try disabling Signature Verification in recovery, then flash.

I'm switching back to my cold as ice ics rom , too many bugs for me i might switch back if u at least fix the play store and home key bugs.
    It might be beacuse i dont have enough space on my sd card so ill probably get a new one. Aside from all the bugs , the rom is awsome.

ROM
    Changes Daily

On bobz release, menu works but home selects, I swapped input.so and now keys are s keys, I believe its a kernel problem

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by thewraith420 View Post
    I haven't tried cm10 yet but if doing this gets you OS layout.. Then in /system/usr/keylayout if you swap keys 139 and 102 in the thunderc_keypad.kl and qwerty.kl you should have normal OV layout. Unless I'm way off and things are different in cm10

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running Kool-Blue_2.3.3_V2.2 on LS670ZVJ Baseband
    Yeah just swapped that and it works!!

I thought we had the keys figured out?

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running Kool-Blue_2.3.3_V2.1 on LS670ZVJ Baseband

ROM
    CM10/BobzHome's 4.1

Its fixed

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #111  

ROM
    CM9/10

Quote Originally Posted by jonny5449 View Post
    May I ask what files you fixed so I can fix mine

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't change files...I alter source code to fix things. Example is the "boot to recovery fix", I made changes in android_frameworks_base/core/res/res/values/arrays.xml which when compiled ends up with changes in framework.

That being said, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the lack of space. If I swap out keyboards, it become a port rather than a build...which I don't like to do. I was thinking about changing partition sizes and removing space from data and giving it to system...but I'm afraid that others or even myself may brick the phone. I'll have to do some more research on the matter.

Right now I feel ICS was the end of the line for this phone.
    Ideas and suggestion are welcomed...
    Thanked by:

ROM
    BobZ CM10 JB

Quote Originally Posted by BobZhome View Post
    I don't change files...I alter source code to fix things. Example is the "boot to recovery fix", I made changes in android_frameworks_base/core/res/res/values/arrays.xml which when compiled ends up with changes in framework.

That being said, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the lack of space. If I swap out keyboards, it become a port rather than a build...which I don't like to do. I was thinking about changing partition sizes and removing space from data and giving it to system...but I'm afraid that others or even myself may brick the phone. I'll have to do some more research on the matter.

In scripting, could you set it to where /system is mostly installed to /sd-ext via symbolic link? Or can you not script that for recovery? People would have to have basically at least 512mb sd-ext to compensate system data and user apps, but this may be a method if possible.

Of course in the very least anyone wanting to use this rom has to have partitioned sd-ext space, but for newer roms that is practically needed anyways.

Let's use what are sd card was meant for (if possible).

Sent from my Optimus V via Tapatalk
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm guessing you've thought of this, but I believe the differences between the two keyboards is languages removed. Is it possible to just remove the languages at a source level?

I also somewhat agree with you. In my experience, ICS runs "smooth enough" on this phone most of the time. Running Jellybean at this moment just feels...sluggish, slow, etc. Not at the fault of anyone trying to get it going,I just agree that it is just too much for this device.

Of course, that is to be taken with a huge grain of salt, I am just a user and not a developer.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    --Chris [cole2kb]
    Thanked by 3:

ROM
    BobZ CM10 JB

Quote Originally Posted by cole2kb View Post
    I also somewhat agree with you. In my experience, ICS runs "smooth enough" on this phone most of the time. Running Jellybean at this moment just feels...sluggish, slow, etc. Not at the fault of anyone trying to get it going,I just agree that it is just too much for this device.

Of course, that is to be taken with a huge grain of salt, I am just a user and not a developer.

JB does have it's slow down I admit that, but with egl patch its running pretty good for starting out.

Sent from my Optimus V via Tapatalk
    AC Citizen

ROM
    Cm7/Cm9/Cm10

Don't say that its coming along well
    Its OK if its a port everyone knows your roms are f'en amazing your doing good and so is zak and I think you are the best at this than anyone else so I say keep doing this
    Ics is not the ending line...
    That's quiting talk:thumbdown:

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk 2
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

I'm liking this better than ics so far.
    fingers crossed that the browser is more functional in jb.
    I'll bet i can find some stuff to remove from the build to reduce size a little...
    now that i have a real internet connection I'll sync your source and poke at it. thanks for building and sharing.
    interesting thing i never had happen before:
    going from quattrimus ics to this, i wiped data, cache, and dalvik cache. the 4 apps stored on sd-ext all work with this (some old gingerbread quick settings app, sl4a, and Swype beta/Swype installer)
    even Swype beta. before i always had to reinstall it after changing ROMs.
    this time i only had to enable it in settings.
    /edit/ i don't know about gapps, i only use them in secondary installs with multiRom so i can cherrypick apps out of /data downloaded from the market. then i don't get the battery drain and system resource reduction from the gapps on my nand install.
    keep the wife happy with my dev time:
    donate!
    the THANKS button is quite acceptable if you're as stingy as me, too.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by YoshinJaa View Post
    In scripting, could you set it to where /system is mostly installed to /sd-ext via symbolic link? Or can you not script that for recovery? People would have to have basically at least 512mb sd-ext to compensate system data and user apps, but this may be a method if possible.
    I like that idea. I'm in favor of having just the essential Jellybean OS files in the phones memory and everything else being forced to sd-ext.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #118  

ROM
    CM9/10

Quote Originally Posted by cole2kb View Post
    I'm guessing you've thought of this, but I believe the differences between the two keyboards is languages removed. Is it possible to just remove the languages at a source level?

Your right, there's 71.9MB in dictionaries!
    I'm going to compile it with only EN and ES to see how small it gets.

Thanks for the idea!
    Thanked by:

I'm telling you guys, you can just move GApps to /data/app, lib, framework, ect and they work FINE. We have plenty of room on that partition lets make an installer to move them there.

ROM
    CNA/CM9/Mirage

If there are sources for the keyboard from CM (pretty sure there are) just remove all of the images that arent mdpi and that could slim the keyboard. or see if there are sources up for the slimmed JB keyboard and throw them in there. It probably wouldnt be a good idea to change partition sizes, because of bricks, and because people already whine about it for ICS. Check wallpapers and everything and remove anything that isnt mdpi. those are my suggestions
    Guess whos coming back!
    terthii likes this.

ROM
    it changes so much

I just want to say thanks Bob and it hit me pretty hard when I read your post about Ics being the end of the line. Then I thought hell ics is pretty damn awesome on this phone I pay 25 a month for and only paid 50 bucks brand new for the handset. I have confidence in you and this entire optimus community (the whole optimus line... p500, OS all of them). If there is someway or somehow I know you guys will be the ones to hack patch port or build it. I have the utmost respect to all of you guys as I'm sure most of this phones community does and even other phone communities do. No matter what happens just have fun

beamed from the mothership...
    but its only a proxy for my
    lubuntu 12.04
    Thanked by 5:
    tdm

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    ROM
    Quattrimus

I have considered several options. Keep in mind this is all theory right now, as I haven't actually implemented any of it yet. I'm busy playing with the OMAP3 video processing pipeline in my Marquee right now to get the cameras working. But I've done a fair amount of thinking on the subject and I have a bit of experience under my belt.

I initially thought of changing partition sizes because it works so well on Samsung devices. But they have a single kernel for normal boot and recovery, which makes it easy. For our phones, short of rewriting the atag table (which I don't believe is possible), it would require a matching recovery and rom kernel. Users are sure to screw that up. Heck, I would probably screw it up. So I discarded this idea.

I settled on the idea of bind-mounting /system/app to /sd-ext/sysapp as the best solution. Now, /system/app doesn't have a huge amount of stuff in it. But it has enough that if it weren't there, the rest of the system should fit. It happens to contain LatinIME, most of gapps, and the crucial SwagPapers from AOKP that was tossed out in my build to make extra space. So this would provide enough space to support a full "small" language set, a full LatinIME dictionary, and other stuff as well.

The biggest problem I see with /sd-ext/sysapp is flashing stuff in recovery. Install scripts are at risk of getting rather confused. For example, flashing a "normal" gapps will delete some files under /system/app. But those files won't be in /system/app when running under recovery. Thankfully, gapps is easy to repackage and users shouldn't be flashing a whole lot of stuff to a running system anyway. Certainly not stuff that plays with /system/app (with the already noted exception of gapps). And if one were inclined, one could make an init.d script that moves anything in /system/app to /sd-ext/app before doing the bind mount. That would only fix half of the issue, and I'm not sure if that is better or worse than doing nothing.

Oh yeah... and it would also, technically, be the first setup to actually require the sdcard to boot. But that's a small price to pay for jellybeans, don'tcha think?

Hope that is useful...
    Thanked by 4:

ROM
    cm9

I, personally, would slim the large apps down as much as possible. Then I would move unimportant, but useful stuff to /cache. I dont know of many ov roms that actually use cache for anything. Kinda a waste.

I wouldn't mess with the partition sizes.
    my roms & kernels (based on iho)

If you'd like to donate to me, i accept litecoin, bitcoin, and hardware
    LTC - LTVALL5gsjPvgeiBWD7c6DHNWidbpzVu3w
    BTC - 1TVALLetFibDe8Zap5qPsqa4BAJWQYQ59

ROM
    Cold as Ice

You gotta replace his latinIME.apk with the one from my rom. Here, Ill upload it.

Open the zip, navigate to system/app and drag this file in.

Then flash my latest custom gapps. Now with partially working Google Now and Fully working google ears
    This method worked for me (partially). All the Gapps i need are on there. The google now opens, but doesn't work. It just says it's initiallizing, then that it 'didn't catch that. Retry?' The voice search from the play store works from the app icon, but not the widget. Good enough for me.

Awesome work Bob! Thanks for the assist, Zakman!
    Thanked by 2:
    Resident idiot

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3, Stock

this rom is crap my pants fast! :O good work bob!

i think the OV wont get to much father past JB but it will get JB working
    Galaxy S3 (d2vzw): CM11
    LG Optimus V: TVALL ICS
    Motorola Droid: CM10
    Sero 7 Pro: davemper CM11
    Thanked by 2:
    pbailey212 and zoidberg_md like this.
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast