Optimus V very bad signal (cm9 quattrimus installed)

devriesj

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I do not know if its the phone, the quattrimus rom or virgin mobile. I am in Raleigh NC 27615

ROM: cyanogen mod version 9-20120721-unofficial vm670
Build number: cm_vm670-userdebug 4.0.4 imm76l eng. tommy.20120721.021747 test keys.

android version 4.0.4
Baseband version vm670zv4
PRL version 61007

I have very very bad signal. Lest than one bar. Just a enough to be connected, Can get texts, and get calls but can not send texts or make calls.

I am getting a signal strength of -102 dbm 1 asu. Is virgin mobile really that bad. Should I change over to boost mobile. What do you think?

I always had "OK signal" that up till 8pm eastern time zone. I have never had over 3 bars with VM.
I see that updating the PRL would give better signal but can't get MSL code.
[HOWTO] Change PRL on Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V (5/06/2011) - xda-developers

Step 9: Change the drop down menu to "LG method," and click "Read." OK ERROR "This method is available in registered version only".

Ok I not paying $99,

diecastdonkey

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps there's tower updates in your area. I advise flashing to stock or Harmonia 1 and calling VM, they should be able to tell you.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

devriesj

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
No 3g. Do have 1x. I have it one sec. and the next off. It goes on and off. Just a enough to be connected. Its only at home I have the problem. I went to church today and when I got out I had 4 bars and 3g. Then got home and now have only .5 to 1 bar.

I do not know what is going on, for the church is only 1/4 mile form my home.

androidalais

May 25, 2012
Visit site
No 3g. Do have 1x. I have it one sec. and the next off. It goes on and off. Just a enough to be connected. Its only at home I have the problem. I went to church today and when I got out I had 4 bars and 3g. Then got home and now have only .5 to 1 bar.

Its virgin mobile. The same thing happens with me. I am in indiana and haven't ever gotten over 2 bars on my phone, and i'm runnin quattrimus.

Nico72

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site

Same here. It's Sprint working on the towers to get 4G LTE working 100%. It seems they started in the farm areas and moved into the towns now, as I get all 4 bars and very fast 3G in the corn fields of IL, but 2 bars with no 3G at my house. Give them time and it will be better than usual.

devriesj

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
OK but I did not know that reception could be so dramatically different in less than a quarter mile radius. My bill is going to renew on the 21st, I going to give them one more month and see how it goes. Would like to not switch if don't have to as I am only paying $25 a month.

Also I found the msl code using "cdmaterm" (like CDMA Workshop but free) and updated the prl with "Qpst" Had to be on usb mode but in recovery mode. Now on prl version 12121.

The reception is no better with the new prl. Go figure.

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
try two going on three months with data speeds in the byte range with NO RESOLUTION from vm. im in the carolinas as well. service has went to...well...crap. to be within forum rules and not say what i really want to call it. vm offers run arounds with "lets try to reset you on our network" crap...what network? oh...you mean the two cans and string network!! ah i see... :mad:

devriesj

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok did some more testing. Can not make a call inside my house and can not make a call right outside my house but if I only go like about 100 feet from the house I can make a call. Come on VM I not in the country. I am giving them ONLY one more month. If I see no improvement I will be forced to switch.

For those not with VM please don't get it, you get what you pay for. I had VM for one year now and the coverage as slowly got in worse over time. Oh and the coverage map for raleigh nc is a lie.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Service quality / signal strength is different for everyone. Don't try to steer others away from Virgin because you had a bad experience.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

My signal is actually pretty good at my home here in Michigan and there are dead zones but I'd consider it good coverage and my speeds are good too

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running Kool-Blue_2.3.3_V2.1 on LS670ZVJ Baseband

StumDroid

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I have no problems with service, VM is a good service. Hell I pay 35$ a month not 25$ and I've never had a problem with calls or texts just using internet without WiFi it wouldn't work, Flashed the ZV9 update and had no problems since. I'll stay loyal to VM over Boost, AT&T, Verizon or any others. Will be buying the HTC Evo V 4g soon and will keep this Optimus as well :D

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

devriesj

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
After some more testing, I am now using prl version 61008. I am now getting 2 bars (-92 dBm) at home. The signal is now good, but not getting 3g ("evdo rev a" network type ). I am only geting 1xRTT:6 as the network type. In qpst the system is setup as preferred mode CDMA only, Band preference PCS only, and Roam reference Home Only. I can't get 3g anywhere now. What can I do to get 3g working.

devriesj

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok I got 3g working. Had to restore stock rom (from backup). Then reactivate the phone. You can only reactivate with the stock rom. Then I restore my backup of ICS. All is good now. I don't get it. I get 2 bars at home only after updating the pbl and then I had to reactivate the phone to get 3g back.

If it keeps working, I am going to keep VM. You can't beat $25 a month.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok I got 3g working. Had to restore stock rom (from backup). Then reactivate the phone. You can only reactivate with the stock rom. Then I restore my backup of ICS. All is good now. I don't get it. I get 2 bars at home only after updating the pbl and then I had to reactivate the phone to get 3g back.

If it keeps working, I am going to keep VM. You can't beat $25 a month.

Kinda strange a prl update made you reactivate. Sprint prls work too I use 60690 and have noticeably better service then stock prl.

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running Kool-Blue_2.3.3_V2.3 on LS670ZVJ Baseband

mac_rmm

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Could you give more details on how you found your MSL code because I got the same "registered version" message for CDMA workshop? I've looked online and no one seems to have an easy way to do it. I searched your CDMATERM and found a program from google but don't know if it's the right one or how to work it.

devriesj

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Could you give more details on how you found your MSL code because I got the same "registered version" message for CDMA workshop? I've looked online and no one seems to have an easy way to do it. I searched your CDMATERM and found a program from google but don't know if it's the right one or how to work it.

Yes thats the one form code.google.com/p/cdmaworkshoptool/

Use that or the attached "cdmaterm" program. 100% open source and free. No crack need it.

See attached screenshot if needed.

1. Under setup, Pick you com port (You can Scan the ports from with in cdmaterm. You don't have to load up device manager.)
2. Click connect.
3. Under spc/lock, Pick LG mode.
4. Click Read SPC.
5. Write down you MSL/SPC code
6. Click disconnect so other programs (qpst, ect) can connect to the phones com port.

Last edited:
Reactions: pbailey212

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
on a side note. its not quattrimus,a prl or anything else to do with your phone. you are wasting your time and may potentially bork something trying to get a better signal. vm has reached capacity in some areas like here in the carolinas. ive been experiencing this nightmare for a time now. in fact since the day i activated my optimus elite. vm has even sent me an optimus slider which im sending back. same issues on it as with the optimus elite. poor data speeds,time outs,loss of connection,you can literally sit and watch your status bar as the 3G icon drops in and out. signal bars going from green to white with an X and then back. no phone no matter how nice or powerful it is will be worth owning from virgin mobile as long as their service is in this state. their reps are ignorant,lie and usually just dont know what the heck is going on. on several different calls to tier 3 i was told on each different occasion,each time by a different rep that there were "no issues" in reception in my area. then the next rep would say there were specific maintenance issues regarding 4G upgrades in my area,or another rep would say it was maintenance due to the...."WEATHER"...the towers were getting hot :'( ..so which is it? hot towers? hot towers being upgraded to 4G? or no issues at all?? hmmm... HMMMMM???? :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Reactions: devriesj

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puiman