Possible ROM project / Learning experience.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have been messing around with this rooting/flashing stuff long enough I thought I might give a go at learning more of the technical end of this and make a ROM. Before I even look into what is needed to learn this stuff I thought I would try and find out if my idea for a ROM is even worth doing in the first place.

I am wanting to make a ROM that turns the phone into a dedicated hotstop. Devote what memory is not used into a packet buffer and the SDcard into a network drive. Make the screen into a Network details monitor. If possible allow bluetooth to be used to manager the device remotely. A secondary objective it to try and keep it port-able because this to me seems like a good option for EOL devices.

Other than adding the above features the main goal is to increase throughput and increase connection speed/stability.

All this might be a pipe dream so I was hoping a dev here might be able to shed some light on the possibility of this even being in the realm of doable. I believe it will take alot of work to make such a major role change to an OV but in some areas it is simplifying things by just removing them. I am willing to devote months to the project so I am not taking this lightly.

skinneysk8

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I would love to be able to do the same zedorda. I've been interested in development for about 8 months, and looking to escalate it to the next level, as in ROM development, etc. Not too familiar with your method mentioned above, but we share the same interest. I'm wondering if a developer could point us in the right direction!!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
you might start with a "TINY_ANDROID" build of something like stable cm7 flavor.
it's meant to use for testing with adb, but it's very minimal.
see here:https://www.codeaurora.org/xwiki/bin/QAEP/
QAEP said:
You can also build ''tiny android'' which is an Android build with a limited user-space environment useful for kernel development and verification. The ''tiny android'' build will not boot into the full UI. It will stay at one of the loading screens. ADB will be active, allowing you to run unit tests, etc. The build time for ''tiny android'' is significantly less than a full Android build.
Code:
 BUILD_TINY_ANDROID=true make bacon -j4
this may not work for you, or with CM, but it's a starting point.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
A few people have tried to just make their phone a simple web browsers with no phone/sms functions and were plagued with lots of FC's.
By the time you deal with all of the necessary dependencies to keep it from crashing, you would be far better off just starting from source from the get go, either CM or as BigSuperSquid recommended Tiny.

Good luck, I know a few customers who would love this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy