[DISCUSSION][POLL]interest in running ics/jb off SD?

moving pieces of /system to sd-ext?

• Total voters
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
so, I've seen a few mentions of this but no real discussion.
rave, bash, or question, as you prefer.

in a nutshell, it's possible to modify or preempt init to mount the sd card before mounting the system partition.
this would allow moving /system/app (and other space hogs) to the sd-ext partition, making install space and other possibilities potentially very large.
you want a fast card (class 4 or higher) and you can't remove it while booted (except in recovery.)
regular ics or jb for our device requires the card to boot anyway, and probably to run correctly as well, so it wouldn't be a huge change there.
any thoughts/opinions?
there's a poll, too.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
the main pros seem obvious, increased storage for system apps and freeing the space they take up in NAND.
the cons, as I've read, are several
already mentioned, card can't be removed.
card has to be better than stock for decent speed.
ext2 has potential for data corruption in a crash.
ext3 or ext4 can wear out your card with the journaling which helps prevent the ext2 problem with crashes.

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I am way interested and I have an eight gig class 4 in my zv5 optimus v, I would be honored to test and report log cat screenshots error messages , what have you! Please hit me , knowing you if you even mentioned it you already have a test build rolling ;)

come to the dark side

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
And I was on a ubuntu forum and someone mentioned formatting to ext 4 but somehow disabling journaling to get all the speed improvements and such from ext 4 but be faster, use less power too

come to the dark side

ThatGuyLurkin

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Nice to see your still posting here. Seemed as if you were gone for along time.

I'd be interested in seeing this, although I don't use SD-EXT swaps or whatever you wanna call it. :p

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Anything2ext has worked good for me so far without any stability issues.I've been using an ext partition ever since the early days of Bobz cm9

come to the dark side

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I would love to try something like that. It seems like if someone knew a little about mounting scripts, it would be easy enough to apply it to any of the billion roms for this phone as a simple proof of concept. I would absolutely test if someone could build that rom.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Android Central Forums

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Ics runs well enough just using ext for apps and dalvik but I'd be interested to see what this concept could do for jb or in the future key lime?

Tapatalk'n it from my Cold As Ice VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ics runs well enough just using ext for apps and dalvik but I'd be interested to see what this concept could do for jb or in the future key lime?

Tapatalk'n it from my Cold As Ice VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware

I still hold out hope that they're going to call it key lime, but that easter egg in JB insinuates something else.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

sgeoxd

May 21, 2011
Visit site
This is done by using "writeback" as the data mode. Kernel documentation on the subject is available at http://kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt

Benchmarks usually show minimal difference between writeback and ordered, where some of the benefits of journaling can be retained with ordered. A few examples:
Filesystem Benchmarks - Part I | FSI Product Blog
https://natzo.com/doku.php?id=categories:linux:filesystem

Using noatime, nodirtime, and disabling barriers can also improve performance. Found a link to instructions Android specific here: just another blog: ext4 disable journal

thesaxphoner

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely interested, I tried doing this myself a while back but it didn't go well. I've got a 32gb class 10 so speed isn't a problem

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely interested, I tried doing this myself a while back but it didn't go well. I've got a 32gb class 10 so speed isn't a problem

I've read previously that class 4 may in fact be better than class 10 in these situations, because they tend to have a faster random read/write speed as opposed to faster read and faster write speed. I could be wrong, but I think I read it in the context of booting a ROM straight off the sd-card.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
there's the "security issue," also, of whatever bits of system are moved to SD, being r/w rather than read only.

while I haven't built anything yet, I was assessing whether anyone but me had info./desire on this.
it'd most likely be easiest to move all of /system to the SD card rather than parts of it.

the mod would most likely be a severely trimmed version of tasssadar's multirom which patches the ramdisk with preinit (mounts sd-ext) and init.rc tweak (mount system from sd-ext.)

Not sure, but might well need a specialized recovery too, again tweaking tasssadar's work would probably be easiest.
<edit> on the bright side, it could be a fakeflash recovery (thanks to koush, a fakeflash recovery runs from a zip in recovery but doesn't replace the installed recovery to do it,) so you could leave whatever recovery you like installed and just use the mod recovery when you need it.
just thoughts so far, nothing concrete.

and, sgeoxd put up a he**uva first post.

Last edited:

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
here's an idea. Put what would normally be on /system in a file on /sd-ext. you'll have to mount /sd-ext earlier in boot then mount the system image and you would have to modify a gapps installer, but installs would be copying a single file, and you can keep the system mounted ro.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
a loop-mounted filesystem?
I don't remember if I got those to work in init.rc or not.
but there is a squashfs loop-mount commented out in all the cyanogen init.rc's I've looked at, so it might well work as you say.
Worth a shot if my current avenue gets too annoying, or as a cross-check with benchmarking to see which prevails.
thanks for the input.

thesaxphoner

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
You could be right, I'm not sure. I know that I used to use a class 2 and bobz cm10 worked fine on it but when I went to this all my apps that were on /sd-ext worked way better than before. Mine is also UHS-1 but I don't think the v can handle that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37