Phone apk

learning2

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
If anybody is still here.... I'm really close to making this work, but stuck! I swapped out the radiooptions binary from the original package with the binary from the CM7.2 build by BobZhome, and I edited the 01radiooff script to simply:

#!/system/bin/sh
/system/bin/radiooptions 1

If I go to my terminal emulator and cd into init.d and run ./01radiooff, the radio turns off. But, when I reboot, the effect is gone, so somehow my script is not being run at init time (or is run at the wrong time).

This is my first time trying to tweak a phone via the terminal emulator, so I'm sure I'm just missing something.... What is it?

EDITED TO ADD:

Well, I'm not sure why I can't script my way out of a paper bag... but there's an app for that!

So, to disable phone capabilities on a rooted phone, the following recipe works:

1. Use a ROM with radiooptions available in /system/bin (since JOYOS didn't have this, I had to hunt one down from bobZhome's build trees)

2. Install the app "SManager script manager"

3. Open the script manager app, navigate to radiooptions, select it, and choose the following smanager options: Is Executable, Run as root, and Run at Boot. Set the argument to 1

4. Each time you boot, your phone radio will be automatically turned off!

5. Hide the SManager app wherever you are hiding things you don't want the kid to find.

6. I also deleted the apps listed in the scripts above -- the phone went crazy with force closes when I deleted JoyPhone, but that stopped happening after the first reboot.

Last edited:

ph37rd

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
If anybody is still here.... I'm really close to making this work, but stuck! I swapped out the radiooptions binary from the original package with the binary from the CM7.2 build by BobZhome, and I edited the 01radiooff script to simply:

#!/system/bin/sh
/system/bin/radiooptions 1

If I go to my terminal emulator and cd into init.d and run ./01radiooff, the radio turns off. But, when I reboot, the effect is gone, so somehow my script is not being run at init time (or is run at the wrong time).

This is my first time trying to tweak a phone via the terminal emulator, so I'm sure I'm just missing something.... What is it?

EDITED TO ADD:

Well, I'm not sure why I can't script my way out of a paper bag... but there's an app for that!

So, to disable phone capabilities on a rooted phone, the following recipe works:

1. Use a ROM with radiooptions available in /system/bin (since JOYOS didn't have this, I had to hunt one down from bobZhome's build trees)

2. Install the app "SManager script manager"

3. Open the script manager app, navigate to radiooptions, select it, and choose the following smanager options: Is Executable, Run as root, and Run at Boot. Set the argument to 1

4. Each time you boot, your phone radio will be automatically turned off!

5. Hide the SManager app wherever you are hiding things you don't want the kid to find.

6. I also deleted the apps listed in the scripts above -- the phone went crazy with force closes when I deleted JoyPhone, but that stopped happening after the first reboot.

Learning... would you mind starting a thread with some detailed steps? I too am doing the same thing as Adam. After getting the Evo V and One V (my wife spoiled me with both), my 3yo is getting her own aPod (i prefer her not to be part of the ghetto scene ;) ).

Just a bit of background: OV has TWRP v2.2.2.1, a 32gb class 4 card w/ a 768mb ext3 partition. Nothing is set in stone with the partition size, so that is flexible.

EDIT:
At least for my three year old, the Kids Place app/launcher on the Play Store is a great way to allow her use of the aPod, but still make it functional for Mom and Dad to play with as well. While it can lock out the phone, like Adam, I want a more complete solution.

Last edited:

learning2

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Learning... would you mind starting a thread with some detailed steps?

I just took what the mod in post #12 above was trying to do (but didn't work on JoyOS) and tried to implement it step-by-step by hand. I am pretty sure that I did not do this in the most efficient way possible, but if you want to follow in my footsteps anyway, here is a bit more detail:

1. Pick your ROM and flash it. I picked JoyOS, but Adam seemed to have better luck with Gingersnap. Make a nandroid backup here.
  2. Try the mod in post #12 above and see if it works with your ROM. (Your "phone bars" should change to "no service.")
  3. If it doesn't, roll back to your backup. You have a couple of other easy options in the threads above to access hidden menu items turn off the radios. If those do not work across reboots, or if you get force closes, or if you're just stubborn and want to do it the hard way, read on! (At this point, I probably should have just abandoned JoyOS, but...)
  4. Here is how I got the effects of the Wi-Fi only mod working manually. Install a terminal emulator and root explorer, if your ROM didn't have those.
  5. Navigate to system/bin --> do you have a radiooptions program listed? If so, try to run it in the terminal emulator, with the argument "1" (as in the number one)
    Code:
    cd /system/bin
    su
    radiooptions 1
  6. If that works, then the "phone bars" should change to "no service." Skip to step 9.
  7. If that doesn't work, or if there is no radiooptions, then you need a radiooptions that works. (I got an illegal instruction error, but I screwed around so much I'm not sure if that was from a radiooptions that came with JoyOS or from one that came with the mod I tried to flash.) I got a working radiooptions from here:
    https://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android_device_lge_thunderc_common/wiki/Binary
    For JoyOS, I used (just the radiooptions binary) from bobZhome for CM7.2
  8. Install your radiooptions in system/bin and test it as in step 5.
  9. Now that radiooptions is working, the next step is to run that command every time the phone boots. The straighforward way to accomplish that should be in a script in init.d, but I couldn't get that to work (and Christmas is coming!) so I installed a scripting app from the play store called "SManager script manager"
  10. In SManager, use the file explorer to get to "radiooptions" and select it, then select "Is executable", "Run at boot", "Run as root", and the number 1 in the field to enter an argument. Save. This will turn off the radio each time the phone reboots.
  11. If you are planning on never using your V as a phone, you can delete Phone.apk, Messaging.apk, and TelephonyProvider from system/app. These are the programs deleted by the mod in message 12 above. If you get force closes, just reboot and they'll go away. For JoyOS, these had been renamed to JoyPhone, JoyMMS, and JoyTelephonyProvider.

ph37rd

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the walk through. You're going to make a three year old very happy and the envy of all her cousins.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

w900cnsD

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
This also happened to my w900 or so called sk-s150 right now. My stupidity i forcely restart the phone and back to its factory settings. I tried to download phone.apk of ics and copied it to sd card. but it didn't install. Can you help me with this?

Many thanks in advance

w900cnsD

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes it will but at the same time the device could end up in repeating FC's from the missing Phone.apk.

This is exactly whats happening to my w900 or so called sk-s150 right now. My stupidity i forcely restart the phone and back to its factory settings. I tried to download phone.apk of ics and copied it to sd card. but it didn't install. Can you help me with this? I can't use my phone, it's stuck in welcome screen. the only way i can access my phone is thru the advanced boot options.

Many thanks in advance

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not familiar with that phone (this is the vm optimus v forum). Do you have a custom recovery? Custom rom? Can you restore a nandroid backup or flash a new rom?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This is exactly whats happening to my w900 or so called sk-s150 right now. My stupidity i forcely restart the phone and back to its factory settings. I tried to download phone.apk of ics and copied it to sd card. but it didn't install. Can you help me with this? I can't use my phone, it's stuck in welcome screen. the only way i can access my phone is thru the advanced boot options.

Many thanks in advance
You would have to use a root access file manager like ES File Explorer or Root Explorer and allow read/write access (via settings of app) to /system/ level.

Take the phone.apk and copy and paste it into /system/app/

Then using ES File Explorer, etc. bring up the properties of Phone.apk and set the permissions to rw- r-- r--
Save and reboot the device. That should work to bring back your Phone.apk, working phone again without FC's.

w900cnsD

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
You would have to use a root access file manager like ES File Explorer or Root Explorer and allow read/write access (via settings of app) to /system/ level.

Take the phone.apk and copy and paste it into /system/app/

Then using ES File Explorer, etc. bring up the properties of Phone.apk and set the permissions to rw- r-- r--
Save and reboot the device. That should work to bring back your Phone.apk, working phone again without FC's.

Hi guru,

When i use the CWM recovery and install zip from sdcard option, it doesn't continue installing. If i go to the interface of my cherry mobile w900 since I resetted it to factory settings it stuck on th welcome screen of w900. When I click on the android picture to continue it doesn't run.
I'm really in need of help. In addition, phone.apk was deleted from the root explorer. it means that i can still be able to recover that file?
thanks guru

Last edited:

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I don't know enough about your phone to help you. You might want to find a forum dedicated to that device. I'm sure other people with your phone have had similar issues and would know how to fix it. It seems like you did a factory reset on a rooted phone, a problem that more than a few optimus v owners ran into. If you had an ov, i would tell you to flash a new rom, or restore a nandroid. If your installs are failing i'd suggest trying a different rom, or maybe you got a bad download. If your recovery can't flash any roms correctly, you might want to try to flash a new recovery. I don't know if there are cwm flashable recoveries for your phone. Also, i don't like to flash a recovery without a working rom. You can fix a recovery from the rom and fix a rom from recovery, but if you break them both then you are in trouble. That should be a last resort.

I wish i knew more about your phone to help. I'm not sure how you found this thread, but it was about taking an optimus v and removing the phone function so it could be given to a kid to use as an mp3 player.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Android Central Forums

w900cnsD

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I don't know enough about your phone to help you. You might want to find a forum dedicated to that device. I'm sure other people with your phone have had similar issues and would know how to fix it. It seems like you did a factory reset on a rooted phone, a problem that more than a few optimus v owners ran into. If you had an ov, i would tell you to flash a new rom, or restore a nandroid. If your installs are failing i'd suggest trying a different rom, or maybe you got a bad download. If your recovery can't flash any roms correctly, you might want to try to flash a new recovery. I don't know if there are cwm flashable recoveries for your phone. Also, i don't like to flash a recovery without a working rom. You can fix a recovery from the rom and fix a rom from recovery, but if you break them both then you are in trouble. That should be a last resort.

I wish i knew more about your phone to help. I'm not sure how you found this thread, but it was about taking an optimus v and removing the phone function so it could be given to a kid to use as an mp3 player.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Android Central Forums

Thanks for the reply!
First what is "ov" do you have a link to download on how to install a new rom or restore a nandroid. this have a cwm recovery but not working anymore it stuck in advance option boot. i can't reinstall the cwm tool because my cherry w900 can't continue to load until the interface. so it is stuck in welcome screen.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
What is the actual retail name of your phone.
That's the forum you need to go to, unless there is no forum. In that case you would need to give us a whole lot more info on your phone for us to even begin thinking about helping.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Edit: Need to quit posting late at night/early morning.
It seems my brain is pretty dead.
Thanks upconvert for catching the flaws in my post.

Last edited:

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
They can't get their current ROM to boot, so root explorer is out. Adb might work, I guess.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
w900cnsD:
Is the recovery you have installed the only custom recovery for your phone?
Could you link us to the site you got it from, and any others that might work with your phone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles