Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone apk

If i delete the phone apk will the phone function be completely disabled?

I will be giving my ov to my kid and want to be sure he cant dial 911 by accident

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Phone apk

Yes it will but at the same time the device could end up in repeating FC's from the missing Phone.apk.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Is there a better way?
    There will be no service on the phone, but as i understand it, every cell is able to dial 911 with or without service
    Airplane mode is not an option as this is my kid! If its there he will find a way to dial 911 lol!
    Any help is appreciated

ROM
    BobZ CM10

Just curious. Why would your son dial 911 at anytime? Prank calling them is a misdemeanor in a lot of states or at the very least a warning from law enforcement at your doorstep. I am not sure if Virgin Mobile can disable the E-911 function, but never hurts to ask them if they can disable it?

Otherwise, you would have to use the *#*#4636#*#* feature to disable the cell radio. But doing so will also disable texting, not sure if you want that.

HOWEVER, it is true, you can dial 911 with or without service. But I believe one's cell radio has be to be on to do so.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

My son is 5, i am giving him this phone as a game/music device

He has no need for text or phone
    I would like to keep wifi but that is not critical

So using that number will it put me in a menu? Or just disable the radio?
    Is it permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by adamhos View Post
    My son is 5, i am giving him this phone as a game/music device

He has no need for text or phone
    I would like to keep wifi but that is not critical

So using that number will it put me in a menu? Or just disable the radio?
    Is it permanent?

Yes click on phone information. Scroll down to turn off radio. Its not permanent you can turn radio on and off when you want.

Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by jxc011 View Post
    Yes click on phone information. Scroll down to turn off radio.

Does this need to be done on the stock rom?

Does this need to be done on the stock rom?

It should work on stock or custom ROMs. I've accessed dialer codes on both ends of the spectrum on other brands/models of Android phones. VM should be any different.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

you could probably delete the RIL files from /system and it'd be unable to use the cell radio at all.
    they're listed in one of the makefiles in the device folder in any ROM version that's open-sourced.
    if you tell me which ROM is on there I could maybe make you a list or something fancier.

edit:
    that service menu works in CAI, which is an optimus s ROM. I fear the dialer service menus aren't usually included in v ROMs since LG never updated the v past froyo and I think there's framework incompatibilities or something with the hidden menu apks.
    Last edited by bigsupersquid; 11-29-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    keep the wife happy with my dev time:
    donate!
    the THANKS button is quite acceptable if you're as stingy as me, too.
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by bigsupersquid View Post
    you could probably delete the RIL files from /system and it'd be unable to use the cell radio at all.
    they're listed in one of the makefiles in the device folder in any ROM version that's open-sourced.
    if you tell me which ROM is on there I could maybe make you a list or something fancier.
    Sweet
    Im planning to do the joyos so itll be like his big sis ipod
    Ive got till Christmas to get it ready so i will definitely be trying this soon

I would prefer there is no phone at all because this kid is mischievous

All your advice is greatly appreciated

johnh02 likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

so looking through the zipped rom i have found the following:
    in system /lib
    libril.so
    libril-qc-1.so
    libril-qcril-hook-oem.so
    in system /bin
    rild

are these the ril files i need to find or are there others?
    once i delete these can i also delete the telephonyprovider.apk and mms.apk? or will i cause fc's?
    i guess i should just try and report back lol!

thanks for the replies
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

yea million fc's!!!
    but look what i found
    just what the dr ordered a flashable zip to turn off all radio and delete phone and messaging apps gonna try soon

[MOD]Any phone, any ROM: Wi-Fi only mode (disable cell radio) - Android - RootzWiki
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

The above zip worked with gsnap but not with joyos

Thanked by:
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

The above zip worked with gsnap but not with joyos
    I'll peek at it tonight and see what I can do.
    donate!
    Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

I'll peek at it tonight and see what I can do.
    I think I got it good enough for now, but it would be nice to use joyos

So here is what I've done,

I started with gsnap 2.2 (joyos wasn't playing well)

I flashed the v1 zip to disable radio found here

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/25016-mod...le-cell-radio/

Then I disabled power prompt (so he doesn't reboot to recovery)

Then I installed the ilauncher from the store and set it as a default

Then I downloaded an app hiding tool from the play store. With this I hid everything I don't want him getting into

So now I have a music and game device that I can give to him and have no worries

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Android Central Forums

o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

The problem is that JoyOS renames the apk files the zip removes.
    Code:
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/system/app/JoyPhone.apk");
    show_progress(5, 15);
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/system/app/JoyTelephonyProvider.apk");
    show_progress(6, 15);
    show_progress(7, 15);
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/system/app/JoyMms.apk");
    I rewrote the updater-script to match if you want to try it out.
    /attachment removed/
    If mods are worried, the only change is posted here, and I'm gonna post in the original dev's thread with a link here, and remove it if he wants.
    I doubt he'll have a problem though since he's openly sharing his work.
    Last edited by bigsupersquid; 12-16-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: redact nonfunctional attachment
    donate!
    Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

The problem is that JoyOS renames the apk files the zip removes.
    Code:
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/system/app/JoyPhone.apk");
    show_progress(5, 15);
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/system/app/JoyTelephonyProvider.apk");
    show_progress(6, 15);
    show_progress(7, 15);
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/system/app/JoyMms.apk");
    I rewrote the updater-script to match if you want to try it out.
    Attachment 49286
    If mods are worried, the only change is posted here, and I'm gonna post in the original dev's thread with a link here, and remove it if he wants.
    I doubt he'll have a problem though since he's openly sharing his work.
    Thank you sir
    I will try this tonight

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Adam,
    Did this work for you? I still seem to have a phone. The problem may be the location of busybox, which is in /system/xbin instead of /sbin?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

It never did work
    I ended up disabling radio through the hidden menu mentioned a few posts back, then I used a app hiding app and hid the apps I don't want him accessing, including phone....its working great and my boy loves his ghetto iPhone lol

Thanked by:
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

bummer the easy way didn't work, but cool you got another method to.
    I'll remove the attachment since it.'s nonfunctional.
    donate!
    Thanked by:
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

bummer the easy way didn't work, but cool you got another method to.
    I'll remove the attachment since it.'s nonfunctional.
    Appreciate the help

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

If anybody is still here.... I'm really close to making this work, but stuck! I swapped out the radiooptions binary from the original package with the binary from the CM7.2 build by BobZhome, and I edited the 01radiooff script to simply:

#!/system/bin/sh
    /system/bin/radiooptions 1

If I go to my terminal emulator and cd into init.d and run ./01radiooff, the radio turns off. But, when I reboot, the effect is gone, so somehow my script is not being run at init time (or is run at the wrong time).

This is my first time trying to tweak a phone via the terminal emulator, so I'm sure I'm just missing something.... What is it?

EDITED TO ADD:

Well, I'm not sure why I can't script my way out of a paper bag... but there's an app for that!

So, to disable phone capabilities on a rooted phone, the following recipe works:

1. Use a ROM with radiooptions available in /system/bin (since JOYOS didn't have this, I had to hunt one down from bobZhome's build trees)

2. Install the app "SManager script manager"

3. Open the script manager app, navigate to radiooptions, select it, and choose the following smanager options: Is Executable, Run as root, and Run at Boot. Set the argument to 1

4. Each time you boot, your phone radio will be automatically turned off!

5. Hide the SManager app wherever you are hiding things you don't want the kid to find.

6. I also deleted the apps listed in the scripts above -- the phone went crazy with force closes when I deleted JoyPhone, but that stopped happening after the first reboot.
    Last edited by learning2; 12-22-2012 at 11:31 PM.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by learning2 View Post
    If anybody is still here.... I'm really close to making this work, but stuck! I swapped out the radiooptions binary from the original package with the binary from the CM7.2 build by BobZhome, and I edited the 01radiooff script to simply:

#!/system/bin/sh
    /system/bin/radiooptions 1

If I go to my terminal emulator and cd into init.d and run ./01radiooff, the radio turns off. But, when I reboot, the effect is gone, so somehow my script is not being run at init time (or is run at the wrong time).

This is my first time trying to tweak a phone via the terminal emulator, so I'm sure I'm just missing something.... What is it?

EDITED TO ADD:

Well, I'm not sure why I can't script my way out of a paper bag... but there's an app for that!

So, to disable phone capabilities on a rooted phone, the following recipe works:

1. Use a ROM with radiooptions available in /system/bin (since JOYOS didn't have this, I had to hunt one down from bobZhome's build trees)

2. Install the app "SManager script manager"

3. Open the script manager app, navigate to radiooptions, select it, and choose the following smanager options: Is Executable, Run as root, and Run at Boot. Set the argument to 1

4. Each time you boot, your phone radio will be automatically turned off!

5. Hide the SManager app wherever you are hiding things you don't want the kid to find.

6. I also deleted the apps listed in the scripts above -- the phone went crazy with force closes when I deleted JoyPhone, but that stopped happening after the first reboot.
    Learning... would you mind starting a thread with some detailed steps? I too am doing the same thing as Adam. After getting the Evo V and One V (my wife spoiled me with both), my 3yo is getting her own aPod (i prefer her not to be part of the ghetto scene ).

Just a bit of background: OV has TWRP v2.2.2.1, a 32gb class 4 card w/ a 768mb ext3 partition. Nothing is set in stone with the partition size, so that is flexible.

EDIT:
    At least for my three year old, the Kids Place app/launcher on the Play Store is a great way to allow her use of the aPod, but still make it functional for Mom and Dad to play with as well. While it can lock out the phone, like Adam, I want a more complete solution.
    Last edited by ph37rd; 12-23-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: additional information/tips
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Apod ----- I like that lol

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ph37rd View Post
    Learning... would you mind starting a thread with some detailed steps?
    I just took what the mod in post #12 above was trying to do (but didn't work on JoyOS) and tried to implement it step-by-step by hand. I am pretty sure that I did not do this in the most efficient way possible, but if you want to follow in my footsteps anyway, here is a bit more detail:

1. Pick your ROM and flash it. I picked JoyOS, but Adam seemed to have better luck with Gingersnap. Make a nandroid backup here.
    2. Try the mod in post #12 above and see if it works with your ROM. (Your "phone bars" should change to "no service.")
    3. If it doesn't, roll back to your backup. You have a couple of other easy options in the threads above to access hidden menu items turn off the radios. If those do not work across reboots, or if you get force closes, or if you're just stubborn and want to do it the hard way, read on! (At this point, I probably should have just abandoned JoyOS, but...)
    4. Here is how I got the effects of the Wi-Fi only mod working manually. Install a terminal emulator and root explorer, if your ROM didn't have those.
    5. Navigate to system/bin --> do you have a radiooptions program listed? If so, try to run it in the terminal emulator, with the argument "1" (as in the number one)
      Code:
      cd /system/bin
      su
      radiooptions 1
    6. If that works, then the "phone bars" should change to "no service." Skip to step 9.
    7. If that doesn't work, or if there is no radiooptions, then you need a radiooptions that works. (I got an illegal instruction error, but I screwed around so much I'm not sure if that was from a radiooptions that came with JoyOS or from one that came with the mod I tried to flash.) I got a working radiooptions from here:
      https://github.com/inferiorhumanorga...on/wiki/Binary
      For JoyOS, I used (just the radiooptions binary) from bobZhome for CM7.2
    8. Install your radiooptions in system/bin and test it as in step 5.
    9. Now that radiooptions is working, the next step is to run that command every time the phone boots. The straighforward way to accomplish that should be in a script in init.d, but I couldn't get that to work (and Christmas is coming!) so I installed a scripting app from the play store called "SManager script manager"
    10. In SManager, use the file explorer to get to "radiooptions" and select it, then select "Is executable", "Run at boot", "Run as root", and the number 1 in the field to enter an argument. Save. This will turn off the radio each time the phone reboots.
    11. If you are planning on never using your V as a phone, you can delete Phone.apk, Messaging.apk, and TelephonyProvider from system/app. These are the programs deleted by the mod in message 12 above. If you get force closes, just reboot and they'll go away. For JoyOS, these had been renamed to JoyPhone, JoyMMS, and JoyTelephonyProvider.
    Thanked by:
    ph37rd 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast