Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy LG Optimus V CWM Problem

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum but I've been looking ALL over it for a solution to this problem and haven't found any so far. So here's what happened.

I had rooted my OV a couple months ago and added a custom ROM and then left it in a drawer because I got a new phone. Recently, I took it out to give it to a friend and by my now realized mistake, I factory reset the device. After this, using CWM 4.0.1.5, I flashed a xionia.zip file onto it. Once flashed, I rebooted the device. And here's where it gets a little... unique versus the other posts I've seen.

The device starts up and shows the LG screen, goes blank for a few seconds, then displays a picture of the Android robot in the background and an arrow coming out of a box as the background. In the foreground, there is text saying:

Android system recovery...
    Do not pull out the battery!
    Formatting data...
    Formatting cache...

After that, CyanogenMod 9 starts up and takes me to the home screen and all seems to be well. However, there are no gapps and all forums tell me to flash the gapps.zip to get them. The problem is, I can't flash anything because every time I boot up, even if I press the buttons to get into recovery mode, it goes straight to that Android system recovery and starts up CM9 instead of showing me ClockworkMod.

What can I do?

Default Re: LG Optimus V CWM Problem

I would use flash image GUI or a terminal emulator to install a new recovery....start there and see what happens
    Downloads are in the thread link below

[HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM
    [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

My HTC Phone
    Thanked by:
    bibekg 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm about to install Windows 8 on my MacBook Pro so I can use those Windows drivers but do you have any other alternatives in the time being? Alternatives that could work on my Mac.

ROM
    Harmonia 2

if you have the terminal app already installed, don't remember if it's already installed on CM9, was on CM7. Go on these forums and download Xionia, Bobz recovery, or CWM and put it on the root of your sd card. Rename whatever recovery you installed as terminal.img. Than flash the recovery using terminal like you would usually do.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Okay, the problem is partially fixed. I went through the procedure and using the flashing app, I flashed CWM on my Optimus V. After a reboot, CWM finally showed up (yay!).

Then I tried installing a CM7 ROM with gapps. After which I rebooted. However, after the reboot, it goes straight back to CWM. No matter how many times I reboot, it goes back to CWM.
    YAY!!! ME :)

ROM
    Custom ROM & Kernel

Did you make a backup? If so try restoring it.

By the way what ROM did you try to install?

What Rom exactly
    Make sure you do a full wipe of everything except sd card
    Then reflash

If you still have issues you may need to flash xionia recovery and fix bootloop with it

My HTC Phone
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I tried two ROMs. First BACKside-IHO-VM670. It booted back into CWM so I tried again and same thing, no luck. Then I tried flashing cm-9.1.0.VM670.BobZhome. Same issue.

How would I go about using a Xionia recovery to do that? Because that's what caused my issue the first time. I had tried flashing a file called Xionia_CWMA_12518.6_VM_Recovery and it managed to get past the CWM and booted up with CM9. But unfortunately, there were no Google Apps and I couldn't get into a recovery.

Xoinia has a bootloop fix....somehow you lost your recovery originally

If it were my phone I would put xonia back on it wipe system, boot, cache, dalvik cache, data
    Flash Rom
    Fix bootloop
    Boot system
    Reboot recovery
    Wipe dalvik again
    Flash gapps
    Reboot

My HTC Phone
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Sounds like a good plan. Do you have a trustable xionia.zip file or a link to one? The one I originally used is the one that made me lose my recovery so maybe there was a problem with that file.

[Custom Recovery] Xionia Clockwork (CWMA v1.2518.6)
    [Custom Recovery] Xionia Clockwork (CWMA v1.2518.6)

My HTC Phone

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

Do you know how to flash recovery with shell commands from computer? If not, let me know, can help.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Two problems.

1. The flash_image link gives me a 404 error so I can't download it.

2. How do I flash a .img file? I know how to flash a .zip file but not sure about a .img file.

You use adb or flash image GUI to flash IMG

I'll send you a pm with the flashable zip if you want it

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Android Central Forums
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

I flashed the zip you PM'd me using CWM after formatting cache, factory reset, dalvik cache, etc. but then after a reboot, I'm getting the same issue I began with.

It shows the Android bot with an arrow coming out of a box and runs the "Android System Recovery" and then gets stuck at the LG splash screen (most likely taking a while to boot up CM9 like last time)...

Find the bootloop fix I think its in Advanced

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Android Central Forums
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I don't even have a recovery at the moment...

ROM
    Custom ROM & Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by bibekg View Post
    I don't even have a recovery at the moment...
    You need to hard boot into recovery while the phone is powered off, hold the "home," "volume down," and "power" until you see the LG logo then release.

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

If your seeing "Android System Recovery" then your looking at the stock recovery. You will have to flash a recovery thru the computer using shell commands after putting the recovery in the platform-tools folder of the Android SDK. I'm on a slow 3G connection. I hope one of the other members can walk you thru the process. If not, let me know

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by AndyOpie150 View Post
    If your seeing "Android System Recovery" then your looking at the stock recovery. You will have to flash a recovery thru the computer using shell commands after putting the recovery in the platform-tools folder of the Android SDK. I'm on a slow 3G connection. I hope one of the other members can walk you thru the process. If not, let me know

I think that would work. How would I flash a recovery using shell commands? And does it make a difference that I have a Mac? I'd prefer to do it on OS X but if need be, I can switch over to a Windows 8 OS and use that instead.

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

It's best to use Windows. You will need the LG USB drivers found here: http://www.lg-phones.org/wp-content/...-Optimus-V.zip

Then you will need to install the Android SDK and set the path to the adb.exe (which is in the platform-tools folder). This can best be done by going here: http://www.support-4-you.com/main/in...-tos&Itemid=57
    If you don't get the proper output from: adb devices, then click on the last link in the tutorial for explanation on how to set the path manually. When you have all that done, let us know. The rest will have to be walked thru. If nobody jumps in to help, you will have to wait for me to help tomorrow at this time. I get the best 3G speed at 3-5 in the morning Florida time. Any other time and the 3G is horrible.

One other thing: You need to verify you still have root. After installing drivers (phone unplugged/ reboot after install) and SDK, open up a command line (prompt) with phone plugged in type in:
    cd..
    cd..
    cd C:/SDK/platform-tools
    adb shell (if you get a # after this your rooted).
    If you got a $ then type in:
    su (if you got a # you rooted).
    If you got a $, your not rooted. You will need to use the Gordita root exploit. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by AndyOpie150; 12-17-2012 at 04:56 AM.

ROM
    Custom ROM & Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by bibekg View Post
    I think that would work. How would I flash a recovery using shell commands? And does it make a difference that I have a Mac? I'd prefer to do it on OS X but if need be, I can switch over to a Windows 8 OS and use that instead.
    Andy is right, for some reason Windows works better then Mac's (Apple) do, mostly because more people use Windows then Apple, and because most developers use a Linux O/S for most of there work Linux is even better to use.

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

Puppy Slacko or SuperOS 11.10 would be a good start for Linux OS's. SuperOS 11.10 is my daily driver because it has an intella-hide app bar. Puppy Slacko can be used while still on flash drive so it doesn't matter what computer the flash drive is inserted into. You never have to leave your work on your main computer.