Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

ROM
    Changes Daily

Default Re: lg optimus v freezes and slow to boot up

Quote Originally Posted by ejames82 View Post
    I thought things were going well for me. I pushed home, volume up and power. I selected backup and restore. there was a picture of a hat and a circle. after 15 minutes there was still the picture of the hat and circle. it looks like the program stalled. it doesn't seem like it should take over 15 minutes to get to the next menu. I tried it again and still the same. I will try the thunder recovery image and see how that goes.
    Camera is select

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

I appreciate it thewraith420.
    I will see if that changes the behavior (gets anything done).
    I also have an image 'thunder...something?' I could go ahead and flash that if this doesn't work. I just don't want to flash a rom when I am supposed to be flashing a recovery and mess up the phone.
    I just now tried to use flashimage gui and it went black screen. I found out that I need to check that I have root before using it. it seems the phone is not sticking to root.
    I would be glad to use the adb shell if the jack worked properly. that jack problem has turned out to be major.

thanks for the quick reply.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

you were absolutely correct thewraith420. the 'camera button' suggestion was the shot in the arm I needed.

backup complete.

I am guessing that the backup is on the menu, and if I choose 'restore' I would be using that backup. it would probably be a good Idea to try it and verify.
    this endevour has not provided a dull moment, and I would like a dull moment.

thanks
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

the restore was successful, thewraith240.

now I will continue with the tutorial.

thanks.

ROM
    Changes Daily

you were absolutely correct thewraith420. the 'camera button' suggestion was the shot in the arm I needed.

backup complete.

I am guessing that the backup is on the menu, and if I choose 'restore' I would be using that backup. it would probably be a good Idea to try it and verify.
    this endevour has not provided a dull moment, and I would like a dull moment.

thanks
    The fact that you now have a custom recovery gives you something to fall back on even if the backup gets borked up. Example: rom won't boot, you try your backup only to find it corrupted. Since you still have recovery you can still wipe everything and flash a new ROM. I have a folder i keep my rom zips in. Custom recovery will also allow adb access if your in a pinch

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running SlimRom CM-10.0 on LS670ZVJ firmware
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

'Custom recovery will also allow adb access if your in a pinch'
    is this done without the usb cable? if so, this is a lifesaver, because of the faulty jack issue.
    I'm quite experienced with the linux terminal, so typing in commands is no big deal for me. with the bad jack, I didn't think this option was available to me. I already had to take all of the data off the SD card and reformat and replace the data. I think this is because of the bad jack. bad connections of this kind can cause huge trouble.

I am all ready to install the backside inferior human organs with gapps. do I do that with flash image gui, or oi file manager? the tutorial doesn't really say.
    I am really lucky so far. in a good way, not bad luck. I can see how that recovery is very beneficial. I feel real good about it.

thanks thewraith420.

thanks for the reply

ROM
    Changes Daily

Adb still requires a usb connection.... I think I remember tdm playing with a recovery that could be accessed over adb via wifi though.... I can probably find the thread. Also backside is a bit outdated now. I'd recommend trying out Mirrage or om-Mandylion IHO if you want cm7
    Note: Mandylion needs a second partition on your sdcard. You can do this from recovery under the advanced menu. It will erase your sdcard so have it backed up

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

bad news. the installation of IHO failed. the installer actually said the file was '(bad)'. I kid you not.
    this is what I did.

I did not even leave recovery and chose 'install from zip' and negotiated to the file and selected the file. eventually the program said 'aborted (bad)'
    maybe I chose the wrong way to do it. before I get out of recovery I will see if I can restore the previous image like I did earlier.

ROM
    Changes Daily

bad news. the installation of IHO failed. the installer actually said the file was '(bad)'. I kid you not.
    this is what I did.

I did not even leave recovery and chose 'install from zip' and negotiated to the file and selected the file. eventually the program said 'aborted (bad)'
    maybe I chose the wrong way to do it. before I get out of recovery I will see if I can restore the previous image like I did earlier.
    No big deal you can restore your backup or put a different rom zip on your sdcard and flash that.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

I see you replied to me, thewraith420, I skimmed over it briefly. I just wanted to quickly throw out there that the recovery program is a heaven-send. it worked like a charm. no problem restoring to the image of earlier today. I have to re-do stuff, but no big deal. at least it's not a bricked phone.
    did I choose the correct method to install the IHO?

I know how to partition. that's no problem, but the card is questionable. I wish I would have had more zip images to try than just the one. I also should have done an md5 verification. that was just laziness on my behalf. but I have seen where downloading files from the web sometimes takes several tries to get the correct md5. I am lucky the md5 is provided. kudos to them for posting it.
    if it matters the error message said:
    'can't open backside-IHO (bad) aborted'
    maybe the words 'can't open' could change your theory about the cause of the problem. in light of your info about the file, 'backside is a bit outdated now', it's probably the file and not the card at fault. other files have been working so that suggests the card is not that bad.
    I will toss on this card as many roms as I can get my hands on. I don't mind if they just take up space and never get used, or get tried and replaced by one better. that's also fine.

ROM
    Changes Daily

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=1616274

Read the op here he provides a recovery and rom that I really like. But as I said you'll need an EXT3 or 4 sd-ext partition. Your recovery can partition it for you to be sure it's done right for the phone. It can be done from pc but it's just my preference to do it from recovery.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

'Adb still requires a usb connection.... I think I remember tdm playing with a recovery that could be accessed over adb via wifi though'
    this looks like a bust. the best I can do is 3g. that's not the same as wifi, I don't think. the chance of installing without adb still looks good though.

'No big deal you can restore your backup or put a different rom zip on your sdcard and flash that. '
    when I saw that error I was darn scared. it's a good thing I stayed right there in the recovery program.

' I'd recommend trying out Mirrage or om-Mandylion IHO if you want cm7 '
    I will look for these.

if you can think of any other roms, thewraith420, all I need is a name and I will get out there on google.
    I really appreciate the help.

ROM
    Changes Daily

Mainly just browse around the optimus v rooting roms and hacks forums (where this is posted) and look for [ROM] the most popular almost always have activity in their threads. Also the stickies at the top of this forum have a lot of good info if you don't mind some reading.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

'http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=1616274
    Read the op here he provides a recovery and rom that I really like. But as I said you'll need an EXT3 or 4 sd-ext partition. Your recovery can partition it for you to be sure it's done right for the phone. It can be done from pc but it's just my preference to do it from recovery.'
    I will check out the mirrage and mandylion first, and if they don't work out, I will check out the above. 'It can be done from pc' kind of suggests complications (I have the bad jack issue, and it's a linux file system-does the recovery work with ext3 or 4 sd-ext?). maybe the thread provides info (I haven't looked at it yet). but I also did like the IHO cm7, so that comes into play as well.
    I have some searching to do.

thanks thewraith420

ROM
    Changes Daily

The link was to OM-Mandylion thread. Regarding the partitioning all you'll need to do is choose the size if your doing it from recovery. (most recommend about 10%of your sd-card the partition will be used as your internal memory for apps n cache while on Mandylion

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Mirage worked. I called the phone and made calls from the phone to test it. my wife likes it. she is taking the phone to work.
    I am not sure if all the apps that she likes are included in the mirage rom, but she said gmail is all she really cares about.
    I told her to bookmark gmail and she could instantly see all of her current emails. gmail updater was contributing to the problems that the phone was having.
    when I turned the phone on (when it was having the problems) the phone was saying 'this' program has started, and 'that' program has started, and I asked my wife 'what are these programs?' and she didn't even know. now they're gone and this is WAY better. no more junk running on the phone.
    I told my wife that now that the phone has been rooted, there are many roms that we can try. she likes that idea.
    it feels like a new phone.
    finally a dull moment.

thanks to thewraith420 for hanging in there with me last night.
    Thanked by:
    thewraith420 likes this.

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

+1 ^
    Go here for more info:
    Don't worry about the title of the thread, it's just where my post with the tutorial/ info ended up taking shape.
    I need to edit to include newest recovery's the Cannibal Open Touch, and the Zen Garden ( both have the "fix recovery loop" option, but other than that it's procedure's are up to date.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

+1 ^
    Go here for more info:
    Don't worry about the title of the thread, it's just where my post with the tutorial/ info ended up taking shape.
    I need to edit to include newest recovery's the Cannibal Open Touch, and the Zen Garden ( both have the "fix recovery loop" option), but other than that it's procedure's are up to date.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

AndyOpie150,

that thread is awesome.
    lots of hard work went into that thread and the software for the benefit of everyone who owns optimus v and s. I will definitely get every file I can from that thread. I can't begin to tell you how bad my wifes phone was behaving before I posted. now it works great. now she is totally supportive of everything I want to do to the phone. In fact, she's glad I am doing it.

I think there are some people (the ones who are having problems with their SD card) out there who don't know that you are supposed to 'safely remove hardware' on the phone. it's just like a flash drive or an external hard drive if you just unplug it while it's running and mounted it messes up the file system. I don't know if this is the correct way, but I 'safely remove hardware', then after the computer says 'device is safe to remove' I turn off the computer with the start>turn off computer. I don't even turn off the phone and I wait about 30 seconds before I even unplug the usb cable.

thanks for the reply
    YAY!!! ME :)

ROM
    Custom ROM & Kernel

AndyOpie150,

that thread is awesome.
    lots of hard work went into that thread and the software for the benefit of everyone who owns optimus v and s. I will definitely get every file I can from that thread. I can't begin to tell you how bad my wifes phone was behaving before I posted. now it works great. now she is totally supportive of everything I want to do to the phone. In fact, she's glad I am doing it.

I think there are some people (the ones who are having problems with their SD card) out there who don't know that you are supposed to 'safely remove hardware' on the phone. it's just like a flash drive or an external hard drive if you just unplug it while it's running and mounted it messes up the file system. I don't know if this is the correct way, but I 'safely remove hardware', then after the computer says 'device is safe to remove' I turn off the computer with the start>turn off computer. I don't even turn off the phone and I wait about 30 seconds before I even unplug the usb cable.

thanks for the reply
    If you are adapt to Terminal commands then you should checkout building from source, it is easier then one thinks, there are several IHO CM7 Repo's to choice from and most build without any problems.
    Thanked by:
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

EarthnFire78,

as long as I can avoid using the bad jack (which means I am not allowed the luxury of connecting the phone to the computer via usb). I am able to do terminal commands quite well and prefer it. using a gui, in my experiences, often results in error with no explanation why. the terminal, on the other hand, is less prone to err and will quite often give loads of info when it does (not to mention the superior quickness of the terminal).
    If I saw a tutorial on building from source, I would have been glad to check it out.

I noticed that you provide custom ROM & kernel. that seems like it would be more difficult to install to the phone than just the rom. I admit that I don't know anything about it and just making an assumption.

thank you for the reply

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

Kernels can be flashed to any ROM without the need to wipe anything. If your not using Link2SD then it wouldn't hurt to just wipe cache, and dalvik cache (wiping these tend to mess up things if using Link2SD).
    Flashing a kernel is the easiest thing to do, weather the kernel is compatible or even advantageous for a particular ROM is something that's more trial and error on the part of the average member.

YAY!!! ME :)

ROM
    Custom ROM & Kernel

I've had a custom kernel for my ROM for sometime, and I made it available for the average user three months ago. By default the kernel is already party of the ROM unless posted in the O/P kernel download box.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

ahh, then I treat a rom + kernel just like a rom, and don't worry about the kernel. now that I have a custom recovery along with the stock rom backed up (I actually backed up the stock rom twice) I don't have anything to worry about. if something went wrong I would just run the recovery I would assume.

just to be honest, I have to say that my wife likes Mirage and doesn't want to change anything.
    but she does want me to put whatever files on the SD card I feel will help. I believe she still feels 'uneasy' about the phone.
    I finally got her to realize that the apps that come with running services can lead to unwanted consequences.

I noticed there is a terminal emulator included in the Mirage rom. my wife pointed this out. she wanted to try to install software with linux commands. I told her I didn't think it would work.

thanks for the replies.

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

Back up everything that's on the SD card to the computer.
    Get either "Root Uninstaller" or Its non rooted counter part "AppTyrant"
    This will save all apps you install to a folder on the SD card. If you ever get an update and the update is borked just go back and reinstall the old version that did work.
    Note: You can sideload these saved. apk's with ADB by pulling them out of the folder that's on the SD card, putting them in the SDK/platform-tools folder on the computer and using a command prompt typing in:
    adb install (exact full name of .apk)

Also download Titanium Backup. This will backup all apps plus their saved data.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast