lg optimus v freezes and slow to boot up

ejames82

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Mirage worked. I called the phone and made calls from the phone to test it. my wife likes it. she is taking the phone to work.
I am not sure if all the apps that she likes are included in the mirage rom, but she said gmail is all she really cares about.
I told her to bookmark gmail and she could instantly see all of her current emails. gmail updater was contributing to the problems that the phone was having.
when I turned the phone on (when it was having the problems) the phone was saying 'this' program has started, and 'that' program has started, and I asked my wife 'what are these programs?' and she didn't even know. now they're gone and this is WAY better. no more junk running on the phone.
I told my wife that now that the phone has been rooted, there are many roms that we can try. she likes that idea.
it feels like a new phone.
finally a dull moment. :)

thanks to thewraith420 for hanging in there with me last night.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
+1 ^
Go here for more info: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...tory-reset-your-rooted-phone.html#post3263770
Don't worry about the title of the thread, it's just where my post with the tutorial/ info ended up taking shape.
I need to edit to include newest recovery's the Cannibal Open Touch, and the Zen Garden ( both have the "fix recovery loop" option, but other than that it's procedure's are up to date.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
+1 ^
Go here for more info: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...tory-reset-your-rooted-phone.html#post3263770
Don't worry about the title of the thread, it's just where my post with the tutorial/ info ended up taking shape.
I need to edit to include newest recovery's the Cannibal Open Touch, and the Zen Garden ( both have the "fix recovery loop" option), but other than that it's procedure's are up to date.

ejames82

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
AndyOpie150,

that thread is awesome. :)
lots of hard work went into that thread and the software for the benefit of everyone who owns optimus v and s. I will definitely get every file I can from that thread. I can't begin to tell you how bad my wifes phone was behaving before I posted. now it works great. :) now she is totally supportive of everything I want to do to the phone. In fact, she's glad I am doing it.

I think there are some people (the ones who are having problems with their SD card) out there who don't know that you are supposed to 'safely remove hardware' on the phone. it's just like a flash drive or an external hard drive if you just unplug it while it's running and mounted it messes up the file system. I don't know if this is the correct way, but I 'safely remove hardware', then after the computer says 'device is safe to remove' I turn off the computer with the start>turn off computer. I don't even turn off the phone and I wait about 30 seconds before I even unplug the usb cable.

thanks for the reply

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
AndyOpie150,

that thread is awesome. :)
lots of hard work went into that thread and the software for the benefit of everyone who owns optimus v and s. I will definitely get every file I can from that thread. I can't begin to tell you how bad my wifes phone was behaving before I posted. now it works great. :) now she is totally supportive of everything I want to do to the phone. In fact, she's glad I am doing it.

I think there are some people (the ones who are having problems with their SD card) out there who don't know that you are supposed to 'safely remove hardware' on the phone. it's just like a flash drive or an external hard drive if you just unplug it while it's running and mounted it messes up the file system. I don't know if this is the correct way, but I 'safely remove hardware', then after the computer says 'device is safe to remove' I turn off the computer with the start>turn off computer. I don't even turn off the phone and I wait about 30 seconds before I even unplug the usb cable.

thanks for the reply

If you are adapt to Terminal commands then you should checkout building from source, it is easier then one thinks, there are several IHO CM7 Repo's to choice from and most build without any problems.

ejames82

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
EarthnFire78,

as long as I can avoid using the bad jack (which means I am not allowed the luxury of connecting the phone to the computer via usb). I am able to do terminal commands quite well and prefer it. using a gui, in my experiences, often results in error with no explanation why. the terminal, on the other hand, is less prone to err and will quite often give loads of info when it does (not to mention the superior quickness of the terminal).
If I saw a tutorial on building from source, I would have been glad to check it out.

I noticed that you provide custom ROM & kernel. that seems like it would be more difficult to install to the phone than just the rom. I admit that I don't know anything about it and just making an assumption.

thank you for the reply

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Kernels can be flashed to any ROM without the need to wipe anything. If your not using Link2SD then it wouldn't hurt to just wipe cache, and dalvik cache (wiping these tend to mess up things if using Link2SD).
Flashing a kernel is the easiest thing to do, weather the kernel is compatible or even advantageous for a particular ROM is something that's more trial and error on the part of the average member.

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had a custom kernel for my ROM for sometime, and I made it available for the average user three months ago. By default the kernel is already party of the ROM unless posted in the O/P kernel download box.

ejames82

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
ahh, then I treat a rom + kernel just like a rom, and don't worry about the kernel. now that I have a custom recovery along with the stock rom backed up (I actually backed up the stock rom twice) I don't have anything to worry about. if something went wrong I would just run the recovery I would assume.

just to be honest, I have to say that my wife likes Mirage and doesn't want to change anything. :)
but she does want me to put whatever files on the SD card I feel will help. I believe she still feels 'uneasy' about the phone.
I finally got her to realize that the apps that come with running services can lead to unwanted consequences.

I noticed there is a terminal emulator included in the Mirage rom. my wife pointed this out. she wanted to try to install software with linux commands. I told her I didn't think it would work.

thanks for the replies.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Back up everything that's on the SD card to the computer.
Get either "Root Uninstaller" or Its non rooted counter part "AppTyrant"
This will save all apps you install to a folder on the SD card. If you ever get an update and the update is borked just go back and reinstall the old version that did work.
Note: You can sideload these saved. apk's with ADB by pulling them out of the folder that's on the SD card, putting them in the SDK/platform-tools folder on the computer and using a command prompt typing in:
adb install (exact full name of .apk)

Also download Titanium Backup. This will backup all apps plus their saved data.

ejames82

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
AndyOpie150,

I am in the midst of grabbing all the files that I can find in the thread and I just downloaded the xionia_cwma_12518.6 and as you say in the thread 'the rar will have to be extracted'. does the file need to be extracted on the computer or is there a tool or procedure to extract the xionia on the phone?

sorry it took so long to reply. car trouble.

thanks for the reply.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
AndyOpie150,

I am in the midst of grabbing all the files that I can find in the thread and I just downloaded the xionia_cwma_12518.6 and as you say in the thread 'the rar will have to be extracted'. does the file need to be extracted on the computer or is there a tool or procedure to extract the xionia on the phone?

sorry it took so long to reply. car trouble.

thanks for the reply.

Hnmm? It should be a .zip not a .rar file. You need the Xionia zipped. Use the one that's at the bottom of bigsupersqid's sticky "how to fix black screen in recovery" bottom of first post. See attachment.
I don't think personally the COT and the Zen Garden are 100% capable of doing everything the Touch Recovery can ( minus the fix boot loop option which is why you need to put zipped Xionia on SD card). Once they are and I have tested that they can perform as good as Touch Screen recovery then I'll sure put my stamp of approval on them.

Download the Touch Screen recovery and rename it to just trecovery.img
Make sure it's on the root of the SD card as well as the zipped Xionia. The recovery's won't flash properly when in a folder.

ejames82

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I got all of the files I could download and put them on the sd card.

the phone continues to work like new. now it truly is 'use and forget it (unless it rings)'. it's amazing the difference in the quality of the software and the OS of the phone. where before it didn't take long to develop problems, now it just works and works. there is so much difference in the way the phone behaves now that all that bloatware and running services have been eliminated. it is especially nice that my wife has not installed any bloatware at all. it seems quite evident that the system is not forgiving if the system runs out of (or gets low of) free space, or, it is to say that there is very little leeway.

my theory is that, with all these (what I have found to be unnecessary) running services that are installed on the phone before it's purchased, there is a good percentage of the phones that will develop problems and/or fail shortly after the warranty expires. the average user doesn't pay attention to free space and bloatware. they just use the phone until a problem occurs, then pays to have it fixed. it sort of reminds me of all the junk you get on a new computer.
to think that just before coming here for help my wife and I were seriously considering buying a new phone.

thank you so much. great website and great guys. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20