Cwm 4.0.1.5 with what appears to be broken sd card reader

Brent Patton

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks in advance for reading. If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated.

I've been searching google for hours trying to find a fix with no luck. First I have an optimus v that only will go into the cwm 4.0.1.5 recovery. second I cannot access my sd card (this was an issue because of physical damage when the phone was working). I am trying to install a new rom using quick adb pusher which will allow me to send the file to the device but the cwm version I have will only allow me to install new .zip file from sd card, which for me is actually impossible. If anyone has advice I would love to hear it.

Thanks in Advance.

Brent Patton

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I believe the phone slot is damaged. I dropped the phone while running the stock rom and it gave me an error saying that it could not read the sd card. What I had in mind was to push the new rom zip to the internal memory with adb but my recovery will not let me install a rom from internal memory, only sd card. Thanks for taking a look

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Have you: Put SD card in computer and seen if any data shows up? If it doesn't auto show a window, try going to: Stsrt/Computer and click on the SD card icon. If it shows all your data then transfer data to a folder.
When done: Right click on SD card icon and select format. After formatting SD card to stock (FAT32) format put in phone and power on.
Once on and booted go to menu/settings/storage and select to erase SD card. After done reboot phone.
Check with file managed to see if the phone put the proper folders on the sd card. If yes pt back into computer and transfer data back.

This is what worked for me.
May not for you. I don't know what youv'e tried.

If this worked.
Go to the ZenGarden thread. Scroll down a little ways, it's not too far down the lists of threads,
Select the zipped version. Keep it zipped and put with the folders on the sd card (not in any foldr).
In the recovery flash the ZenGarden zip.
When done go to the advanced sction and select to reboot the recovery.
It will now boot into the ZenGarden recovery.
Brain fart: It has an option to fix the recovery loop you are in.

If you put a ROM on the sd card now would be a good time to flash it.

I wrote all this in hopes the above advice with the sd card worked.
If not, I'll scratch head, rack brain (whats left of it), and put thinking cap on?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Brent Patton

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much for the reply, I'll try that and see if it works. May take me a day to get it all checked. I'll post my results tomorrow after I know more. Without racking your brain anymore than you have to, is there anyway to install a new recovery image to the optimus v without the sd card available. If you would rather wait till I post the results I would understand completely as to not do extra thinking on this already complicated puzzle. Thanks again

Brent Patton

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I think so. when I do adb devices I get my serial number and it says recovery after. I can do adb shell and access the phone but don't really know what to do from there.

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Try the following, this should trigger the update_package command in the recovery, that is if it has not been removed.

Factory/Data Reset from recovery

Code:
adb shell mkdir -p /cache/recovery
adb push "/path to the zip/name of the zip" /data/

Next you are going to format the system, and boot; but do not format anything else.

Code:
$ adb shell
Code:
chmod 0777 /cache && chmod 0777 /cache/recovery && touch /cache/recovery/command && echo '--update_package=" /data/Name of zip"' > /cache/recovery/command
reboot recovery

Brent Patton

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I entered the the code and received the error E:unknown volume for path. What is very strange is that after the push the .zip file will be in the data folder but after the reboot it will no longer be there. I have checked with two programs and can verify they are gone after reboot recovery

Last edited:

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I entered the the code and received the error E:unknown volume for path. What is very strange is that after the push the .zip file will be in the data folder but after the reboot it will no longer be there. I have checked with two programs and can verify they are gone after reboot recovery

The data partition needs to be mounted before pushing the file, but even then data partition is unmounted causing the recovery to not find the file. I'm better with fastboot for installing a ROM then I am with adb. You can try converting the zip into an image file and use fastboot to flash the image.

Brent Patton

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Is there another place I can place the .zip file so that the phone will mount? I will do some research on converting the file to a flash image but don't know anything about fastboot. You've been extremely helpful Thank you

Ok I've gotten to the point where it now tells me the signature verification failed. Installation aborted. I think that is progress but still working on how to get past that.

Last edited:

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Is there another place I can place the .zip file so that the phone will mount? I will do some research on converting the file to a flash image but don't know anything about fastboot. You've been extremely helpful Thank you

Figured out the problems writing the recovery cache command from recovery does not work out, but there is a way to force the recovery to flash the zip I'll look into it for you. There maybe away to convert the system folder of the zip into an image file that fastboot can then flash as well.

Brent Patton

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Figured out the problems writing the recovery cache command from recovery does not work out, but there is a way to force the recovery to flash the zip I'll look into it for you. There maybe away to convert the system folder of the zip into an image file that fastboot can then flash as well.

Ok I've gotten to the point where it now tells me the signature verification failed. Installation aborted. I think that is progress but still working on how to get past that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty