Why am i getting sucky battery life on almost any rom i try

kingseanrocks

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Like yesterday i was using harmonia 2 and i lost 40 percent in a hour and half with only moderate usage .Today im on gingersnap and the battery life was better 100 to 0 in about 6 hours.I know my battery life sucks because i see people go all day without charging their phones on some roms.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Is your phone approaching 2 years old? Was it bought new?
Has the battery been subjected to a lot of heat/charging/use?
Time to replace the battery then..
Don't blame the ROM itself! Yes some are indeed better than othersand harmonia, I would say, is the best.
Get a new batt first or check what all u got running in the background and what, if anything, you are streaming...;)
Like really

kingseanrocks

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah i just got a new battery.iv had the phone for a few months.Do you think a battery calabration might help

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Doubt it, but it is free. Replacement batteries are pretty cheap on eBay.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Android Central Forums

kingseanrocks

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Alright cool i calabrated earlier let my phone completly die and am now recharging it so ill see if it helps

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I have to disagree on the battery calabration app.
Over at Android Forums we had a big discussion on this very topic last year. The ROM devs mentioned:
With any new ROM you need to let the battery stats build up with use. The more you discharge and charge the battery the quicker the battery stats build up.

You do not need an app to do this obviously.
It shouldn't take more than a couple of days to see acurate battery indications.

After you start to get accurate battery indications and you still have so so battery life and you didn't by an OEM battery, then the battery sucks. Even some of the OEM batterys for the V suck. This has plagued the V since it's introduction.

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I have never ever had good battery life and i am very diligent about it, sure, fantastic battery life until i turn on 3g,then i better have a charger nearby. Even when i have a great signal, full bars, battery life sucks, i've just gotten use to it i guess.

I wouldn't know how to act if i got over 6 or 8 hours with 3g on. ;)

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Why not just do this?....(i read)
This program does it by removing the batterystats.bin system file. The OS generates a new clean batterystats file soon, thus any fake information from the previous ROM is removed.
It's suggested, but not necessary, to let the phone fully discharge after calibration, then charged to 100% without break.

--battery calibration app--root

sudo100011

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
im just speaking from my experiences... i have 3 ovs, my daily ive had around 3 yrs, same battery... ive only had to recalibrate 3-4 times, so approximately once per year has worked for me... the other 2 i bought used and have had about a year or so, and i was informed that they are both all original, still original batteries... i calibrated them both as soon as i got them and have had no issues... there are a plethera of ways to set a baseline and test battery drain, depending on usage/running processes/background running processes/etc; but i wont go into detail... google around, do the research, and you can make your own informed decision... :)

vector84an

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Here's a shot in the dark:
Are you trying to throttle the CPU (underclock or conservative govenor) instead of overclocking to save battery?

Tests on this phone with the way it handles race-to-idle conditions tend to indicate that near max stable overclock is also the most battery efficient, and that throttling the CPU (using a conservative type governor or similar) instead of letting it run full bore will also eat your battery life.

ref: http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...attery-drain-optimization-tests-part-2-a.html

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Good point, but actually test have proven that the interactive governor and 480MHz min with the max being as close to 768Mhz as possible, is the best setup for max battery off charge times.

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Good point, but actually test have proven that the interactive governor and 480MHz min with the max being as close to 768Mhz as possible, is the best setup for max battery off charge times.

That's exactly how i am set up and battery could probably go for days like that i'm positive of that, but as soon as i turn on 3g forgetta bout it, you can just watch the life get sucked out of it. But like i said it's always been like this so i'm use to it, gotta charger with me at all times. ;)

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The reason for the battery drain on 3G is the phone has to look for the signal and pull it in. If your not right next to a tower, then it is constantly having to search and pull in. Then you still have the drain from screen on, browser functions doing there thing,etc.
I have a tower 6 blocks from me. When everybody is using up the bandwidth the battery drains faster. When nobody is using it, I can go 4 hours easy (0 dark 30).

With Wifi I can go 6 hours +.

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
After you start to get accurate battery indications and you still have so so battery life and you didn't by an OEM battery, then the battery sucks. Even some of the OEM batterys for the V suck. This has plagued the V since it's introduction.

Where does one get an OEM battery? There seem to be lots and lots of counterfeit OEM batteries out there.

My personal battery experience on the Optimus V is that I had horrible battery life with the stock ROM, not to mention having no space to install the apps I wanted.

I bought an "extended life" battery which was twice as thick and heavy as the original and it came with a new plastic back panel for the phone to accommodate the much thicker battery. This didn't work out very well at all. Besides making the phone much clunkier and heavier, the battery life decreased quickly.

Now, I run the Mirage ROM and link2sd. I also run Juice Defender Pro which I bought when it was on sale at amazon for a few bucks and I set it to the aggressive setting. I have no problem getting a full day out of the battery.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
You don't need a battery app. They actually don't save that much battery.
Just turn everything off including Auto Sync.
Then install Periodic Auto Sync. Set to once every 4 hours, for 1 minute.
This got me way better battery life than any battery app I ever installed.
Just turn what you need on, then off when not needed.

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
+ 1 ^? And you certainly don't need a battery calibrating app, i thought i would try it just for gits and shiggles. Didn't make any difference at all, tried it twice, uninstalled.;)

kingseanrocks

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips guys I'm thinking im thinking of getting a new phone soon I'm looking at the kyocera rise its got a physical keyboard and runs ics have any of you used this phone and if so is it any good

kingseanrocks

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
You don't need a battery app. They actually don't save that much battery.
Just turn everything off including Auto Sync.
Then install Periodic Auto Sync. Set to once every 4 hours, for 1 minute.
This got me way better battery life than any battery app I ever installed.
Just turn what you need on, then off when not needed.

Do you have a link for periodic auto sync I couldn't find it in the play store

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips guys I'm thinking im thinking of getting a new phone soon I'm looking at the kyocera rise its got a physical keyboard and runs ics have any of you used this phone and if so is it any good

Not a good choice. The usable RAM thats left after everything was installed is only 345MB or close to it.. I had a friend that has a stock version that I loaded with the best apps and all the music from my phone. Check the forum and look in the All Things Root sub-forum to see what ROM have been developed that might have addressed this issue.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers